Opinion Is WOT the next GOT?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haven't started it yet but I hear it's good.

Amazon Prime is much cheaper than the others. Doesn't have as much content, but still many decent shows including:

Invincible
The Boys
American Gods
Jack Ryan
The Expanse
Seen and like The Expanse. Not seen any of the others.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seen and like The Expanse. Not seen any of the others.
Watch The Boys first. It's brutal and entertaining. It's based on a comic book by Garth Ennis, who also made The Preacher (which is also an excellent series). Karl Urban plays one of the best characters ever written.

Invincible is made by Robert Kirkman (Walking Dead). It's an animated series but really good, and also really brutal.

American Gods is based on a very famous novel by Neil Gaiman. Very trippy show. About Gods living in America.

Jack Ryan is based on Tom Clancy's novels. Spy, espionage, terrorism, etc. You should recognise the name. Jack Ryan has been portrayed by many characters in many movies (Harrison Ford in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger, Alec Baldwin in the Hunt for Red October, Ben Affleck in the Sum of All Fears, Chris Pine in Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit). It's currently being played by John Krasinski from the Office. Plays the role surprisingly well.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a lot of fantasy novels by the likes of Tolkien, Feist, GRRM, Eddings, Gemmell etc. and I did try to get into "The Wheel of Time" but I found the pacing of "Eye of the World" too slow and never continued with it... but my brother is a big fan of it

as for WOT, I liked the first three episodes but it won't be like GOT

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I have read a lot of fantasy novels by the likes of Tolkien, Feist, GRRM, Eddings, Gemmell etc. and I did try to get into "The Wheel of Time" but I found the pacing of "Eye of the World" too slow and never continued with it... but my brother is a big fan of it

as for WOT, I liked the first three episodes but it won't be like GOT
It got better from book 3 and kept kicking from there. Supposedly eps 4 - 6 kick up a bit. Just found it weird, sort of like trying to pay homage to the books which is fine if you've read them but sort of thinking if you haven't its a bit wtf? Maybe I spent too much time trying to mentally match up stuff to the books rather than sitting back and just watching it.

Trying to be careful on this coz didn't real get into GOT until the red wedding which was series 3 I think and never read any Martin, probably not fair to compare at this stage.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It got better from book 3 and kept kicking from there. Supposedly eps 4 - 6 kick up a bit. Just found it weird, sort of like trying to pay homage to the books which is fine if you've read them but sort of thinking if you haven't its a bit wtf? Maybe I spent too much time trying to mentally match up stuff to the books rather than sitting back and just watching it.

Trying to be careful on this coz didn't real get into GOT until the red wedding which was series 3 I think and never read any Martin, probably not fair to compare at this stage.
that is what my brother said... it really kicks into gear with "The Dragon Reborn"... I might have a read of it now

as for the show, too much exposition is a mistake but the viewers need to understand what is going on or at least have a good starting spot... I had my brother sitting next to me as a running DVD commentary of sorts as to the different orders of the Aes Sedai symbolised by their coloured clothing, the Whitecloaks target the Aes Sedai, male users of the one power are driven mad, Perrin's power and hence, the wolves etc.

it might have been interesting to do a "Lord of the Rings" opening scene prologue as to the original confrontation between the Dark One and the Dragon and then move to Moiraine and the two rivers village

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
that is what my brother said... it really kicks into gear with "The Dragon Reborn"... I might have a read of it now

as for the show, too much exposition is a mistake but the viewers need to understand what is going on or at least have a good starting spot... I had my brother sitting next to me as a running DVD commentary of sorts as to the different orders of the Aes Sedai symbolised by their coloured clothing, the Whitecloaks target the Aes Sedai, male users of the one power are driven mad, Perrin's power and hence, the wolves etc.
Thats sort of what i mean. Know someone that has seen the new Dune movie (dubiously via VPN) and his comment was 'no idea wtf was going on' - hadn't read the books or seen the previous movie. Thats what I kept thinking through the 3 eps was if I hadn't read the books, would I have any idea about this or would it just be recurring weird shit.

Sort of thought they were all a bit blah except the questioner and the darkfriend at the end. If thats what the baddies are like, can live with the goodies being boring as bat shit.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats sort of what i mean. Know someone that has seen the new Dune movie (dubiously via VPN) and his comment was 'no idea wtf was going on' - hadn't read the books or seen the previous movie. Thats what I kept thinking through the 3 eps was if I hadn't read the books, would I have any idea about this or would it just be recurring weird shit.

Sort of thought they were all a bit blah except the questioner and the darkfriend at the end. If thats what the baddies are like, can live with the goodies being boring as bat shit.
Is dune any good

Reaction score
Haven't started it yet but I hear it's good.

Amazon Prime is much cheaper than the others. Doesn't have as much content, but still many decent shows including:

Invincible
The Boys
American Gods
Jack Ryan
The Expanse
invincible is definitely worth a watch

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is dune any good
I liked it but I'm a fan of the books. I think if you don't know anything about the lore, it may be a bit confusing. It completely lacks exposition.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Ep 7 this Friday - started to kick up a bit after ep 3.

Not completely sold yet but getting there.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I still haven't watched this yet.

I binge watched Invasion on Apple TV plus. Very much an OK show. Not great, just OK.