Opinion Is WOT the next GOT?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ep 7 this Friday - started to kick up a bit after ep 3.

Not completely sold yet but getting there.
I wasn't sure after the first three episodes as I think the showrunners clearly pushed the representation and diversity cards for its own sake rather than for story purposes, and there is not enough exposition as to what is going on and why... I also think they missed an opportunity in showing the book's prologue as an introduction, the first Dragon, his going mad and killing his family, the breaking of the world

that said, but I am really starting to enjoy the show... I think the acting is good, visually it is stunning, I like the pacing, I like that the episodes are virtually feature length (ie. about 60 minutes long), the special effects are very good etc.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I wasn't sure after the first three episodes as I think the showrunners clearly pushed the representation and diversity cards for its own sake rather than for story purposes, and there is not enough exposition as to what is going on and why... I also think they missed an opportunity in showing the book's prologue as an introduction, the first Dragon, his going mad and killing his family, the breaking of the world

that said, but I am really starting to enjoy the show... I think the acting is good, visually it is stunning, I like the pacing, I like that the episodes are virtually feature length (ie. about 60 minutes long), the special effects are very good etc.
Pretty much spot on in my book. The other thing is I think they took a punt on the actors growing with the series. Which is fine until Bezos gets the shits....

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel of Time Missed A Big Opportunity With Min's Identity
In The Wheel of Time episode 7, the show introduces Min Farshaw. In doing so, they missed a great opportunity for some better LGBTQ+ representation.

BY FAEFYX COLLINGTON

Warning: Contains spoilers for The Wheel of Time episode 7.

In The Wheel of Time episode 7, “The Dark Along the Ways,” the audience is introduced to Min Farshaw for the first time and the show may have missed a huge opportunity by not making Min non-binary in the show. Amazon’s The Wheel of Time is based on Robert Jordan’s series of the same name and the first book, The Eye of the World, was published in 1990. While excellent in many regards, the series has been criticized for its lack of LGBTQ+ representation, though this is likely due to a lack of knowledge on Robert Jordan’s part rather than any kind of malicious intent.

In The Wheel of Time episode 7, Moiraine leads the Two Rivers folks through The Ways to Fal Dara. With Rand, Egwene, Perrin, and Nynaeve in tow, she seeks out Min Farshaw, a bartender she has known for a long time. Min is revealed to have an ability that allows her to see some symbolic representations of people’s futures. She relates what she sees to Moiraine and is later confronted by Rand about his possible identity as the Dragon Reborn and she tells him more about his past.

A huge portion of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time books rests upon a binary understanding of gender and gender essentialism that presents a problem to readers and viewers in 2021 when understanding and representation of trans and non-binary individuals is more widespread. However, in the books, the character of Min Farshaw is described as being extremely androgynous and multiple storylines see her express her hatred for being seen as traditionally feminine. Min would have been an easy and obvious character to make non-binary as a way to explore a more accurate understanding of gender in Amazon’s adaptation of The Wheel of Time. However, Min is referred exclusively to with female pronouns by Moiraine, who has known her for a long time, cannot lie, and would presumably respect any gender identity that Min expressed. While some non-binary people still use binary pronouns and Min might explore her gender later, this first appearance of the character seems heavily weighted against the show going in that direction.

The fact that Min is not non-binary in the books to many often feels like it is down to Robert Jordan not having the language necessary to express those ideas when he was writing them. The choice not to make Min non-binary in The Wheel of Time TV series seems particularly odd after the previous episode, “The Flame of Tar Valon.” In the books, the LGBTQ+ relationship between Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche is hinted at, and the Amazon adaption made that representation fully explicit in episode 6. Drawing on the descriptions and actions of Min to make the character non-binary would have been in a very similar ballpark.

Ultimately, there may be one large reason that The Wheel of Time TV show did not choose to make Min non-binary. The act of channeling the One Power is extremely rooted in binary gender ideas as men channel saidar and women channel saidin, the two halves of the One Power. While Min’s powers (and the powers of several other characters) are not connected to the One Power, introducing a non-binary character to the world would raise some complications for the show. If they included Min as a non-binary character in The Wheel of Time then the question would quickly be raised of what would happen if a non-binary individual reached out to touch the One Power and, based on the world already established, any attempt to answer that question might fall into the difficult world of gender essentialism, and it was probably easier to pass on the non-binary representation and sidestep the thorny situation entirely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

they ruin everything

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wheel of Time Missed A Big Opportunity With Min's Identity
In The Wheel of Time episode 7, the show introduces Min Farshaw. In doing so, they missed a great opportunity for some better LGBTQ+ representation.

BY FAEFYX COLLINGTON

Warning: Contains spoilers for The Wheel of Time episode 7.

In The Wheel of Time episode 7, “The Dark Along the Ways,” the audience is introduced to Min Farshaw for the first time and the show may have missed a huge opportunity by not making Min non-binary in the show. Amazon’s The Wheel of Time is based on Robert Jordan’s series of the same name and the first book, The Eye of the World, was published in 1990. While excellent in many regards, the series has been criticized for its lack of LGBTQ+ representation, though this is likely due to a lack of knowledge on Robert Jordan’s part rather than any kind of malicious intent.

In The Wheel of Time episode 7, Moiraine leads the Two Rivers folks through The Ways to Fal Dara. With Rand, Egwene, Perrin, and Nynaeve in tow, she seeks out Min Farshaw, a bartender she has known for a long time. Min is revealed to have an ability that allows her to see some symbolic representations of people’s futures. She relates what she sees to Moiraine and is later confronted by Rand about his possible identity as the Dragon Reborn and she tells him more about his past.

A huge portion of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Timebooks rests upon a binary understanding of gender and gender essentialism that presents a problem to readers and viewers in 2021 when understanding and representation of trans and non-binary individuals is more widespread. However, in the books, the character of Min Farshaw is described as being extremely androgynous and multiple storylines see her express her hatred for being seen as traditionally feminine. Min would have been an easy and obvious character to make non-binary as a way to explore a more accurate understanding of gender in Amazon’s adaptation of The Wheel of Time. However, Min is referred exclusively to with female pronouns by Moiraine, who has known her for a long time, cannot lie, and would presumably respect any gender identity that Min expressed. While some non-binary people still use binary pronouns and Min might explore her gender later, this first appearance of the character seems heavily weighted against the show going in that direction.

The fact that Min is not non-binary in the books to many often feels like it is down to Robert Jordan not having the language necessary to express those ideas when he was writing them. The choice not to make Min non-binary in The Wheel of Time TV series seems particularly odd after the previous episode, “The Flame of Tar Valon.” In the books, the LGBTQ+ relationship between Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche is hinted at, and the Amazon adaption made that representation fully explicit in episode 6. Drawing on the descriptions and actions of Min to make the character non-binary would have been in a very similar ballpark.

Ultimately, there may be one large reason that The Wheel of Time TV show did not choose to make Min non-binary. The act of channeling the One Power is extremely rooted in binary gender ideas as men channel saidar and women channel saidin, the two halves of the One Power. While Min’s powers (and the powers of several other characters) are not connected to the One Power, introducing a non-binary character to the world would raise some complications for the show. If they included Min as a non-binary character in The Wheel of Time then the question would quickly be raised of what would happen if a non-binary individual reached out to touch the One Power and, based on the world already established, any attempt to answer that question might fall into the difficult world of gender essentialism, and it was probably easier to pass on the non-binary representation and sidestep the thorny situation entirely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

they ruin everything
What the fuck did I just read. Why did I read 3/4 of it before I decided it was dribble.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the actor that plays Lews Therin Telamon, the original Dragon, is Ugandan?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
so the actor that plays Lews Therin Telamon, the original Dragon, is Ugandan?
Guess so - but tbh - still trying to get my head around a lot of things in the last ep. Some fairly major departures from the books (without the spoilers)...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So is this good or not? And also dragons and boobies....?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess so - but tbh - still trying to get my head around a lot of things in the last ep. Some fairly major departures from the books (without the spoilers)...
I have watched a few reviews by book readers that are unhappy with so many changes from the source material... so, I grabbed my brother's copy of "Eye of the World" to read

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I have watched a few reviews by book readers that are unhappy with so many changes from the source material... so, I grabbed my brother's copy of "Eye of the World" to read
don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it but yeah, the outcomes were the same but who did what where was different.

probably think the big thing for me were the borderlanders. u didn't get to understand them b4 they were off'd - so it sort of loses the honour thing of what they were doing. rather than a group that has fought against the dark for years, it was more like a tourism visit.

can live with the changes but with the LOR series planned by amazon - think there may not be room for 2 cats in the same house...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, my brother has not seen the finale yet but is a book reader... and his response to the spoilers for the last episode were: "what?", "WHAT!", "they killed who? WTF?!"

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
well, my brother has not seen the finale yet but is a book reader... and his response to the spoilers for the last episode were: "what?", "WHAT!", "they killed who? WTF?!"
Yeah - I know who - they die anyways a few books later but goes in a meaningful way - rather than the cannon fodder in the ep.