Is this a rebuilding year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We all know that we won't win the comp this year with the side and depth we have. (Or don't have for that matter).

So, is this a rebuilding year?

To rebuild you need to lay foundations for the future. Where are those foundations? Where is our Kaylin Ponga or Trbojevic brothers? A player young enough that we can build a side around.

Most of our backline has seen better days. As for our forwards, well there is no SBW in there that's for sure.

Not a lot of juniors coming through either.

If the club is not careful we could end up in this cycle for a number of years. They will be in the position of trying to buy players for the now rather than plan for the future.

Buying players to add to a good squad is fine. Saints have done that. They had an OK squad and over the last couple of years have added pieces to it and now have a squad capable of challenging. Could we honestly say we are two players away from a force. I actually think we need a complete overhaul.

We might need to bite the bullet and just buy four or five of the best young talent on the market and build a side from scratch. To do that supporters, sponsors and the club itself will have to cop a couple of years of not challenging because a true rebuild starts from the ground up.

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We all know that we won't win the comp this year with the side and depth we have. (Or don't have for that matter).

So, is this a rebuilding year?

To rebuild you need to lay foundations for the future. Where are those foundations? Where is our Quentin Ponga or Trbojevic brothers? A player young enough that we can build a side around.

Most of our backline has seen better days. As for our forwards, well there is no SBW in there that's for sure.

Not a lot of juniors coming through either.

If the club is not careful we could end up in this cycle for a number of years. They will be in the position of trying to buy players for the now rather than plan for the future.

Buying players to add to a good squad is fine. Saints have done that. They had an OK squad and over the last couple of years have added pieces to it and now have a squad capable of challenging. Could we honestly say we are two players away from a force. I actually think we need a complete overhaul.

We might need to bite the bullet and just buy four or five of the best young talent on the market and build a side from scratch. To do that supporters, sponsors and the club itself will have to cop a couple of years of not challenging because a true rebuild starts from the ground up.
Quentin Pongia retired 20 years ago

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Problem is we have a lot of deadwood still on long contracts so a complete overhaul is not easy thanks to Des and his merry band of thieves. So we either hold tight (investing in a pub will help) and let Pay rebuild the team over a few years or break the bank to entice Bellamy over. Players might be willing to take unders as he's a career builder.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It certainly is, we are going to have lean heavily on McDonnell and his connections to bring some quality through then cherry-pick some key guys off-contract.

We should have the proverbial "war chest" to get some blue-chip players.

Pay is no miracle worker, we all know that, our roster is a shambles.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You should never have to rebuild in the nrl. Yes the talent isn’t there because of Des but you should never completely rebuild in the NRL like the knights. You can make contracts all end at the same time and start fresh if you need to but you should be trying to compete with the best players you have every weekend.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Doesn't look like we're building much atm.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You should never have to rebuild in the nrl. Yes the talent isn’t there because of Des but you should never completely rebuild in the NRL like the knights. You can make contracts all end at the same time and start fresh if you need to but you should be trying to compete with the best players you have every weekend.
Manly were left in same position thanks to Hornblower Des.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm ok with rebuilding.
However at the same time I think we can all demand that the team is competitive.
I think commitment has been lacking by a lot of players in the last two games.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the rumour about Tolman going to the Sharks this year is true, without some serious talent coming in at the same time. Then this year is 100% a right off year.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol. If you posed this question to the kennel 2 weeks ago, the majority would've told you we were top 4 bound, premiership threats :tearsofjoy:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eastwood and the Morris bros should free up a lot of money at the end of 2018, if we can also offload Tolman then 2019 could look promising with the right purchases

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The positive is that in this rebuilding year Souths are garbage. They are the worst team in the comp, between their spine & the feet for hands Burgess brothers they are finished. If we can't beat Souths this year we are in huge trouble.

Titans could also implode with Laurie Daley as coach.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess you could say bringing in Foran, Woods and Pay is the start of a rebuild, but quite frankly we need a lot more changes to become a force again. We have too many guys at the end of their lifespan and on way too much money. We also have very poor juniors so no one is challenging for those positions.

Hopefully I am wrong and the team just have not gelled yet, but honestly I think we have a few years before we have a chance at being on top.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm ok with rebuilding.
However at the same time I think we can all demand that the team is competitive.
I think commitment has been lacking by a lot of players in the last two games.
Hate to say it but I think commitment has been lacking for about 3 1/2 years.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont believe in rebuilding years

There are many examples of teams winning the comp (or going close) after great recruitment & missing the 8 the year before

03 Penrith 1st
09 Eels (2nd)
05 Tigers 1st
11 NZ (2nd)
12 Dogs (2nd)
13 Rorter$ 1st
etc etc

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is we have a lot of deadwood still on long contracts so a complete overhaul is not easy thanks to Des and his merry band of thieves. So we either hold tight (investing in a pub will help) and let Pay rebuild the team over a few years or break the bank to entice Bellamy over. Players might be willing to take unders as he's a career builder.
Or get uncle Nick we all know all his players sign on for nothing actually they pay him to play for the rorters

Status
Not open for further replies.