Is the war chest a myth?

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say the quality of spine players off contract this year is pretty poor. But overall the quality of players in other positions is quiet good. TPJ, JDB, jesse bronwich, JAC, tamou just to name a few. Why not spend a bit of the "war chest" on any of these players.
There will be 3-4 players exiting the Broncos, there will be a cascading effect at other clubs to our advantage (hopefully). Regardless Barrett & co will be working overtime to develop & improve existing talent this preseason.

Last edited:

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not the one delusional enough to believe he will be ready to go round 1 LOLLLL medial
Analysts have said 9 month rehab but don’t let the truth get in the way of your views
The article also says he hopes to be back for round 1

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The article also says he hopes to be back for round 1
Perhaps if he was 20 or at the sharks under their peptide program otherwise natural healing will have him out for closer to 9 months with no pre season and straight into mid seasons rounds

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
War chest is for 2022. We have 22 players off contract at the end of next year.

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
I reckon the war chest is there , problem there is no one to spend it on , no need to waste it in more Holland’s and Montoya’s , we got a shitload of them already

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I reckon the war chest is there , problem there is no one to spend it on , no need to waste it in more Holland’s and Montoya’s , we got a shitload of them already
Won't be anyone to spend it on for 2022 either if we wait this long after November to get into the market. There was a lot of talent available when November rolled around last year for 2021.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We need to be Procative.... I think the Broncos will be very proactive and squad turnover now a new coach will be coming in
Be interesting to see how they turn things around with the suitable signings they need.

If they are capable of getting their roster improved then it will say heaps about our Admins effectiveness, or lack of, to get it done.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
But we let api walk. Hes on about 500 at the panthers.
Players have been and still are on the market, lyn and hill are just out of there depth.
He’s out injured again

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can you please find a quote from anyone still at the club about a “war chest”?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The mythical war chest did exist. It's now simply just a chest thanks to our great spending,

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the media created the war chest so that when we negotiated with players they will say "wait a second, there is a war chest at Canterbury so I would like to receive $150,000 more"

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't need a quote. We had like 4 or 5 players signed for the 2021 season when this board took over. That was including CHN who has since been let go. You can't make excuses for them for ever. They had over 2 years to plan for the 2021 and it looks like they have blown it. They went and resigned almost the entire wooden spoon team without choosing a coach first. We definitely had a war chest for the 2021 season when this board took over. In fact we had almost our entire cap free for 2021 when they took over.
Can you please find a quote from anyone still at the club about a “war chest”?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Don't need a quote. We had like 4 or 5 players signed for the 2021 season when this board took over. That was including CHN who has since been let go. You can't make excuses for them for ever. They had over 2 years to plan for the 2021 and it looks like they have blown it. They went and resigned almost the entire wooden spoon team without choosing a coach first. We definitely had a war chest for the 2021 season when this board took over. In fact we had almost our entire cap free for 2021 when they took over.
Fair enough but that’s not what I asked

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So where is the money tied up then
The players under contract and we still have money. War chest was a made up media term and no one at the club has ever said that

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I dont think having cap space is a myth. But its not SuperCoach, you can't just jump online and sub in players u want. I even believe you can't be talking to contracted nrl players until November anyway. I am expecting more signings by next season though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I dont think having cap space is a myth. But its not SuperCoach, you can't just jump online and sub in players u want. I even believe you can't be talking to contracted nrl players until November anyway. I am expecting more signings by next season though.
To my understanding you can do everything besides give them a contract (so you can't sign at another club before November, unless given permission from current club). Hooper said something along these lines the other day or week on NRL 360 or Big League Wrap (can't remember exactly). If anyone has something written that clarifies what's accurate that'd be sweet to see.