Is the competition a lot easier this year?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know it's only Round 4 but if you look at the previous 2 years, there was absolute daylight between Penrith and the other top 3 teams (Storm, Sharks,Parra) and then you have the rest of the comp making up the numbers.

Panthers, Storm, and Parra have been greatly affected by player movement so they're definitely a lot weaker than they were in the previous years.

I reckon the competition is wide open this year, we might have a team fluke a premiership like the West Tigers did in 05 because our 04 premiership team had a massive injury toll and the Roosters lost Freddy.

I believe if we can somehow get a mid season transfer for a prop and half back we just might be able to hang onto our top 8 spot and possibly sneak into the top 4.

Thoughts?

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We are no chance for the title with our halfback & props. Let's just worry about making the 8.

Melbourne are missing their best 2 players. If they were playing every game they might be undefeated. Eels are missing their best 2 backrowers in Matterson & Lane.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are no chance for the title with our halfback & props. Let's just worry about making the 8.

Melbourne are missing their best 2 players. If they were playing every game they might be undefeated. Eels are missing their best 2 backrowers in Matterson & Lane.
Melbourne are also missing Kaifusi and the Bromwhich bros. Parra aren't the same without Mahoney. Look how much we have improved with him directing the team. Maybe top 4 is a stretch for us but those teams are no longer heads and shoulders above the rest.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The introduction of a new team has helped spread the talent meaning teams don't have the depth and if they lose key individuals will struggle. It's nice to see a change to the status quo but let's not kid ourselves, the nrlol will do everything in their power to ensure that is temporary.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Melbourne are also missing Kaifusi and the Bromwhich bros. Parra aren't the same without Mahoney. Look how much we have improved with him directing the team. Maybe top 4 is a stretch for us but those teams are no longer heads and shoulders above the rest.
Melbourne are still a top 4 team if they had Munster & Pap. They aren't missing Kaufusi & Bromwhich brothers that much in my opinion.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's only Round 4 but if you look at the previous 2 years, there was absolute daylight between Penrith and the other top 3 teams (Storm, Sharks,Parra) and then you have the rest of the comp making up the numbers.

Panthers, Storm, and Parra have been greatly affected by player movement so they're definitely a lot weaker than they were in the previous years.

I reckon the competition is wide open this year, we might have a team fluke a premiership like the West Tigers did in 05 because our 04 premiership team had a massive injury toll and the Roosters lost Freddy.

I believe if we can somehow get a mid season transfer for a prop and half back we just might be able to hang onto our top 8 spot and possibly sneak into the top 4.

Thoughts?
Could NRL be setting Dolphins up for dream entry?

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reduced pre-season and how under done players are is probably playing more of a role, combinations and passes not sticking like they will in a few weeks, plus reduced fitness and warmer weather. If any one has the list of the teams that had the lost and least in the World Cup could be interesting to see if that reflects the ladder so far

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This year is looking way better than any for a long time, thats why we need more teams, more opportunities for juniors and less lost to Super Leauge.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's a natural ebb & flow of equality with the NRL. We have years that become very close, every so often. Disparities between clubs build over a few years. Good players, playing in successful teams, begin to command higher salaries and then the comp begins to level out again when teams have no choice but to let some of them go to maintain their cap. We're in the latter stage right now and the introduction of the Dolphins has only exacerbated that. Sports introduce draft systems to avoid these cyclical levels of competition.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree, i still think the Panthers are miles ahead....why? Simple, they easily still have the best D in the league.

Thats all it comes down to, defense.

There identity is old school. Bash it up through the forwards and kick deep into the corners. They are prepared to do this for 78 minutes and win it at the end if they have to. They grind and wear down teams. Thats old school.

Every other team has been caught up in the nonsense of thinking you have to score 36 points a game to win.

No team prioritises defense like the Panthers do. They built there dynasty off it.

It just feels like if a team has the ball they are under pressure to score, like in a 9s tournament. They take risks and if the risk fails they cannot defend there mistakes.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne are still a top 4 team if they had Munster & Pap. They aren't missing Kaufusi & Bromwhich brothers that much in my opinion.
Nasheed here,
I think they let one too many of their forwards go.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cream will rise.

But I can see why you feel that way - 3 rounds in, only 2 teams from last years top 8 currently occupy the 8.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You might see more separation in the top tier from the rest, later in the season. Early in the season all teams are still a shot and play better. Many fall off for one reason or another later, often its injuries. St George, Manly and Warriors are examples of teams known to start well most years, and then fade out later. Theres usually at least 1 team that does the opposite each year too, starts badly and makes the 8

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add a team and thats what happens, the Storm have lost a heap because of the Dolphins if there were no Dolphins Storm would still be strong

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Disagree, i still think the Panthers are miles ahead....why? Simple, they easily still have the best D in the league.

Thats all it comes down to, defense.

There identity is old school. Bash it up through the forwards and kick deep into the corners. They are prepared to do this for 78 minutes and win it at the end if they have to. They grind and wear down teams. Thats old school.

Every other team has been caught up in the nonsense of thinking you have to score 36 points a game to win.

No team prioritises defense like the Panthers do. They built there dynasty off it.

It just feels like if a team has the ball they are under pressure to score, like in a 9s tournament. They take risks and if the risk fails they cannot defend there mistakes.
Being allowed to be constantly offside in defence works wonders for them as well.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It will all come down to depth this year IMO, Penrith and Melbourne have been brought back to field losing so many work horse experienced players. The competition is a lot closer this year than it’s been in a long time and I think injuries and SOO will play a major part in who’s still standing at the end of the year. If Thompson and TPJ fire when they come back and we blood KO early who knows?
If CC can keep jagging wins with the current roster it will put us in a good spot when we get some forwards back , But the real key to the success of our season is Mahoney if he stays healthy we are sweet if he doesn’t we are fucked.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's only 6 points difference on the ladder between the best and worst teams for now. So there's not really a chance for a "daylight second" level of gap. It's going to take a few more rounds to establish if there are super teams or if the gap has been closed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There's only 6 points difference on the ladder between the best and worst teams for now. So there's not really a chance for a "daylight second" level of gap. It's going to take a few more rounds to establish if there are super teams or if the gap has been closed.
The way I see it if we can get 10 more wins from the last 20 games (this is 50% winrate) then we will do it.
If we beat:
Dragons
Tigers again
Knights
Warriors
All times we play them. That’s 50% of the 50% we need.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The competition is harder this year. The top 4 is more competitive. Top 8 more competitive. Outside the top 8 more competitive.