Opinion Is Tevita Pangai Junior a Prop, Second Rower or Lock?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is such an off season thread...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He could be a prop, lock or 2nd rower in attack but in defence he needs to be a middle because he's not smart enough to defend on an edge where he needs to make decisions

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s rubbish
How so?

His defence on an edge is terrible. He cannot read the play and doesn’t have the lateral movement to adjust.

Attacking on an edge he doesn’t see enough ball and gets lazy.

Both these factors then contribute to his problem with discipline. He gets frustrated at missing tackles. Combined with not seeing enough ball. Gives him too much time to think. When he thinks he does stupid things that get him suspended.

In the middle he defends well. Runs hard and straight and doesn’t get frustrated.

Find me an example showing what I am saying is wrong.

TPJ is a liability on an edge but a star middle forward!

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ is a liability with his brain explosions and childish ‘me first’ actions. He needs the Dean Pay ‘run hard, tackle hard’ game plan from PROP. Keep it simple for him.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Great potential but until he get's his mind into his career he won't fulfill it.

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This offseason is going to be disgusting on TK, even i might give it a miss instead of contributing to the chaos :tearsofjoy:
Ahh I remember last seasons off season quite clearly, all the speculation and hype to see if it was possible to make the 8 (some hopeful of 6) only to be sitting the furthest away from the top 8. Quality!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ahh I remember last seasons off season quite clearly, all the speculation and hype to see if it was possible to make the 8 (some hopeful of 6) only to be sitting the furthest away from the top 8. Quality!
The speculation and hype certainly didn't predict last :(

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should move him around depending on the opposition... keep them guessing... I would say the same with Josh Jackson (depending on where we need our defense to shore up) and Luke Thompson, Hetherington too (but he is gone).

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The speculation and hype certainly didn't predict last :(
The speculation is fun!

I thought about 10th to 12th - didnt think they would be as poor as they have been. After the trials and the negative comments about performance Gould tweeted that it would be fixed - dont think he said when.

More i think about it the lack of discipline and attention to detail turns the below average team into a spoon favourite.

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deep down I kinda knew the same shit would happen but didn't want to believe it. Now look where we are, I think most on tk knew we would be bottom 3 realistically.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think only the Warriors have as less attention to detail as the Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The speculation is fun!

I thought about 10th to 12th - didnt think they would be as poor as they have been. After the trials and the negative comments about performance Gould tweeted that it would be fixed - dont think he said when.

More i think about it the lack of discipline and attention to detail turns the below average team into a spoon favourite.
100%.

It really is very disappointing. I seriously thought we'd get an immediate bounce with Gus being GM Football in addressing these basic principles of a good football club and team.

I put them in my Top 8 when the ladder prediction comps came out...but more as a fan who can't possibly tip against them (even where money is concerned :grinning:.

I didn't expect a miracle.

Just to be entertaining and competitive and not dumb and careless with possession and lazy and unenthusiastic and ill disciplined whilst wearing our jumper...therefore giving them no hope of winning their games.

I thought Gus would have an immediate affect with us becoming perceived as a professionally run disciplined team, or hard workers, who made the best of their opportunities with what the roster had. Maybe with Potter as games go on, we will get to that.

I guess the job has been even harder than first envisaged ...but he said 18 months for a new vision of the team so we wait a bit longer :grinning:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How so?

His defence on an edge is terrible. He cannot read the play and doesn’t have the lateral movement to adjust.

Attacking on an edge he doesn’t see enough ball and gets lazy.

Both these factors then contribute to his problem with discipline. He gets frustrated at missing tackles. Combined with not seeing enough ball. Gives him too much time to think. When he thinks he does stupid things that get him suspended.

In the middle he defends well. Runs hard and straight and doesn’t get frustrated.

Find me an example showing what I am saying is wrong.

TPJ is a liability on an edge but a star middle forward!
Exactly right.

He actually said himself at the start of the year he is just keeping that edge spot warm for Kikau next year

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
100%.

It really is very disappointing. I seriously thought we'd get an immediate bounce with Gus being GM Football in addressing these basic principles of a good football club and team.

I put them in my Top 8 when the ladder prediction comps came out...but more as a fan who can't possibly tip against them (even where money is concerned :grinning:.

I didn't expect a miracle.

Just to be entertaining and competitive and not dumb and careless with possession and lazy and unenthusiastic and ill disciplined whilst wearing our jumper...therefore giving them no hope of winning their games.

I thought Gus would have an immediate affect with us becoming perceived as a professionally run disciplined team, or hard workers, who made the best of their opportunities with what the roster had. Maybe with Potter as games go on, we will get to that.

I guess the job has been even harder than first envisaged ...but he said 18 months for a new vision of the team so we wait a bit longer :grinning:
Even with the limited roster the team should have been competitive with the other struggling teams - Tigers Knights Warriors St George - the trial form proved pretty accurate - it seems now that nothing was learned in 2021 by the coaching staff.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a front rower without question. I think he’s been underwhelming this year. He was once in the top bracket of damaging forwards in the NRL. Fittler wanted him to play origin. He’s ill disciplined and very inconsistent for a player of his talent.