Is rugby league dying a slow death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The betting agencies, the player pay increase, the video ref and having two refs on the field all add up to a militant stance on infringements.
Someone has put their foot down, someone has to ease off, we don't wanna watch a nit pickathon every week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If they want to teach teams a lesson and make the game flow, start sin binning players for 5 minutes for repeated team infringements! That will teach players not reoffend. 32 penalties and only 2 players sent to the bin is a joke! The game would have been more entertaining with less penalties and less players on the field!!
Yh i'm all for a 5 minute sin bin, refs won't be as afraid to use it and 5 minutes is a fair penalty. 10 minutes sin bins should just be scrapped.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No it's absolutely true. Players and coaches have pushed the boundries for years and these 2 teams have won comps because they were the best at it. The mess we are in is because of them and the refs letting things go for the "flow of the game".
Not true.

In Melbourne's case they are just a well coached, organised team with great cattle playing to their full potential and are focused on winning.

Sharks were just a gun side that year with Barba.

I understand where your coming from in regards to pushing boundaries but that is sport in particular its footy. One must do those little things to get an edge in a fast paced game in order to help your team but I'm not saying don't penalise just don't be OCD about it and be consistent... Like seriously would you consider Tolman missing the ball by an inch cheating?? I wouldn't but I consider not blowing it for Burgess on the last try cheating....

ITS NOT BRAIN SURGERY and they just keep thinking they're picking at one. Just let the boys bash each other and ONLY blow the significant penalties.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s a thought, make the players wear electronic anklets, every time they’re not back the ten they get zapped, and every time they reoffend the zapping becomes stronger! How funny will that be???

03F99DB4-7576-40F7-9484-3A9A9E579C1C.jpeg

And no, that’s not me... :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not true.

In Melbourne's case they are just a well coached, organised team with great cattle playing to their full potential and are focused on winning.

Sharks were just a gun side that year with Barba.

I understand where your coming from in regards to pushing boundaries but that is sport in particular its footy. One must do those little things to get an edge in a fast paced game in order to help your team but I'm not saying don't penalise just don't be OCD about it and be consistent... Like seriously would you consider Tolman missing the ball by an inch cheating?? I wouldn't but I consider not blowing it for Burgess on the last try cheating....

ITS NOT BRAIN SURGERY and they just keep thinking they're picking at one. Just let the boys bash each other and ONLY blow the significant penalties.
No, they need to blow all penalties they see. You can't pick and choose when to call a penalty a penalty. I couldn't give a shit how bad the game looks atm because it will definitely be better off in the longterm once clubs get it.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No, they need to blow all penalties they see. You can't pick and choose when to call a penalty a penalty. I couldn't give a shit how bad the game looks atm because it will definitely be better off in the longterm once clubs get it.
Understand these things will not stop.... Players will not always play the ball with the feet, they will not always get back the 10, they will lay on the ruck, they will have hands on footy, they will always rush up early and they will never always be square. Its called fatigued and it is something that will never go away.

Get rid of the OCD, caution players and if they don't listen add a 5min sin bin instead of blowing countless penalties and the game will better for it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a contrary view on some of the penalties.
The NRL absolutely needs to enforce the 10 meters and clean up the ruck.
We all know certain clubs constantly stand offside, rush off the mark basically playing the odds that the referees will not keep blowing penalties.

While we're at it. The decoy runner / obstruction rule is a dogs breakfast.
Why did they ever move away from the old Sheppard rule.
I find my self asking this every week (re the obstruction).

Those whining about too many penalties should be more pissed off with the players for incurring them.

"Going with the flow" is not enough excuse for not enforcing the rules.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Understand these things will not stop.... Players will not always play the ball with the feet, they will not always get back the 10, they will lay on the ruck, they will have hands on footy, they will always rush up early and they will never always be square. Its called fatigued and it is something that will never go away.

Get rid of the OCD, caution players and if they don't listen add a 5min sin bin instead of blowing countless penalties and the game will better for it.
They won't stop, but it will get to the point where it doesn't happen anywhere near as often. The reason it has got so bad is because we have let it go for years.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I find my self asking this every week (re the obstruction).

Those whining about too many penalties should be more pissed off with the players for incurring them.

"Going with the flow" is not enough excuse for not enforcing the rules.
"Going with the flow" means we watch footy not an OCD contest.... Enforcing these minute rules to the nip of it is like booking everyone who is clocked going 1 km over the speed limit. It just will never work out and is just ruining the game.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They won't stop, but it will get to the point where it doesn't happen anywhere near as often. The reason it has got so bad is because we have let it go for years.
They tried this years ago with the play the ball.... They scrapped it and just let it go because it was ruining the game, same shit will happen here.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s was a game we once loved to watch!! the hits, the banter, the long range try’s from the smaller guys through broken field as the bigger boys fatigue set in! Just a good old footy game where the refs kept the whistle in pocket and let the players decide the outcome.

It’s got to a point where after they ditched the one reff an bought in two,the game has got worse as each year had passed..The game has very much changed an is on a decline! It will start loosing fans to other codes (if that is not happening already) the whole thing Is a big disappointment! NRL need to sit down an have a look at the big picture, because if they don’t... ?? Well You guys know answer to that question.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"Going with the flow" means we watch footy not an OCD contest.... Enforcing these minute rules to the nip of it is like booking everyone who is clocked going 1 km over the speed limit. It just will never work out and is just ruining the game.
Ok, just don't complain when our opponents aren't being penalised in order to keep the game flowing.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
The Ref's let it go for years. Can't change overnight just blowing the f---k out of the whistle ain't going to fix it.
Having 2 refs is not helping as you have two varying interpretations of rulings/decisions .
But i see what the issue is we whinge all day if opposition is off side but whinge if Ref's keep blowing penalties.
Only problem you watch a sport that is officiated 100% to the book in Rugby and see how boring that is.
I don't have a solution but something has to give because this shit is hard to watch.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They tried this years ago with the play the ball.... They scrapped it and just let it go because it was ruining the game, same shit will happen here.
And as a result they also ruined the game. They have to stick with it but the NRL also needs to introduce clearer guidelines and rules, we also need a 5 minite sin bin instead of a 10.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Ref's let it go for years. Can't change overnight just blowing the f---k out of the whistle ain't going to fix it.
Having 2 refs is not helping as you have two varying interpretations of rulings/decisions .
But i see what the issue is we whinge all day if opposition is off side but whinge if Ref's keep blowing penalties.
Only problem you watch a sport that is officiated 100% to the book in Rugby and see how boring that is.
I don't have a solution but something has to give because this shit is hard to watch.
People will whinge either way, but the Refs and NRL need to stick with it. If they buckle here they lose complete control and the clubs win and will continue to push the boundries and ruin the game.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are all paranoid thats why we see heaps of penalties and heaps of penalty shots for goals and no chip and chases from halfway

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
too many rules when all we need is freedom, too much thinking

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People aren’t upset that the refs are now blowing penalties. They’re upset because the penalties are inconsistent.

They blow a penalty for the play the ball, 2 sets later its ignored.

They flag a team for being offside and then give the penalty 3 tackles later - why?

Yesterday they gave us a penalty because Souths were offside... Souths weren’t offside.. they were however offside the tackle before!

I’ve watched the replay of our game yesterday without blue tinted glasses on and it was Legit a deadset disgrace of a game. We had all the momentum and would have put on a cricket score, the refs did a great job of taking that away from us by pulling us up for minor infractions that were later ignored in the game - this happens to all teams and is why people aren’t bothering anymore. My dads best mate was the biggest die hard saints fan - he gave up league the year they won the comp in 2010 as he said he was sick of the refs (he was disgusted by sowards five in 09 as well). Funny thing is he follows afl now and is actually happy haha.

Also Apparently the storm and sharks game had 30 penalties... 30! In 80 minutes of football! Each penalty takes on minimum 30 seconds play time lol! Only 2 sin binnings for 30 penalties... should have been at least 6 for that many.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then the same people complain that the refs let teams get away with being offside... wtf do you people want

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And then the same people complain that the refs let teams get away with being offside... wtf do you people want
They don't know what they want haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.