News Is Pay having a fluffy?

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay will consider rotating his young halves through the NRL season to mitigate fatigue over 18 consecutive rounds leading into finals.

On Friday Pay, Cronulla's John Morris and St George Illawarra's Paul McGregor joined several fellow NRL coaches in backing a rotation policy to manage game time for players.

With no byes from round three next week until the grand final on October 25, player rotation would also allow clubs to manage the load on their biggest stars.

From the season decider, any representative players will then have 10 days until State of Origin game one in November, adding to the workload of the highest-profile rugby league stars.

Pay has four halves to manage and said, with no reserve-grade football on offer, a lack of game time for players who miss out on the best 17 each week also needs to be considered.

"There's 18 games and no byes at all so fatigue will play a factor, especially with young halves. It does wear them out playing week in and week out footy," he said.

The NRL is still looking into a replacement competition for reserve grade, although it is not considered a priority with first grade yet to get up and running.

With a broadcast deal yet to be finalised to fund the entire game, the cost of running a makeshift lower-grade competition remains a stumbling point.

For clubs, one of the biggest concerns surrounds an injury to an NRL player later in the season and having to promote a replacement who has not played for months.

"It's very rare that you get a 17-man squad that goes 18 back-to-back games," Morris said.

"If there was a niggle or someone was struggling, certainly I wouldn't hesitate to rotate them.

"At the same time, you want your best 13-17 out on the field as often as you can.

"You'd just have to monitor it and see how things go throughout the year, but you certainly want to give those guys on the fringe a chance to play."

McGregor said the Dragons are training above game-intensity at least once a week and swapping out interchange forwards would be no concern regardless of match time.

"Some stronger clubs can probably afford to do a lot more (rotation) than other clubs," he said.

"If there's not too much difference (in quality) between a player coming in and coming out, and the player that is in there is fatigued or his loads are high, then there is every reason to interchange those players and work on a roster system."

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pick the best team available it’s not rocket science. Guys will always have time off with injuries.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I dunno, I am ok with him doing this because we are not a contender so we might as well let everyone have a chance to shine. It will help us figure out who we wanna keep.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any excuse for Pay to get Lewis in the line up. That comment is a bit tongue in cheek but it’s a ridiculous thing if Pay is going to rotate the halves. Our attack is already disjointed and clunky and swapping halves around every few games will just make it worse.

Even with 18 games straight we only have one 5 day turn around and that’s right at the end of the season. If Pay goes through with it he shouldn’t be re-signed. We have wasted enough seasons lately and Pay wants to waste another.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I am ok with him doing this because we are not a contender so we might as well let everyone have a chance to shine. It will help us figure out who we wanna keep.
Pay said be patient while these guys get 50 or so games into them and now they have 50 or so games and he’s still none the wiser on who is a long term option. If you’re still unsure after 50 games they aren’t going to be the solution.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people keep assuming professional athletes need a rest during the season?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just fuck off you fucking ****.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay said be patient while these guys get 50 or so games into them and now they have 50 or so games and he’s still none the wiser on who is a long term option. If you’re still unsure after 50 games they aren’t going to be the solution.
Pay mentality:

"Play players out of position, give them another 50 games, then 50 more, followed by another 50 and they might possibly come good, maybe.... hopefully"

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay mentality:

"Play players out of position, give them another 50 games, then 50 more, followed by another 50 and they might possibly come good, maybe.... hopefully"
Don’t forget to rest them for 50 games too.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree but we can't get rid of everyone

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Rotate your halves, just not tolman, everyones been rotated out of position already. Why not. Next week he will rotate some more wingers into the front row, we can watch them improve every week lol. I cant believe hes still here. But like all the tossers are about to say, who do u replace him with. I know 50 people in just one town that are better coaches than pay. There really easy to find if u have a go and dont use excuses to prevent the job from getting done. This club has become the worst run shithole since the rabbits of the 90s.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here : like myself , pay is pissing himself with what he said ..... just to get a few people talking trash. Don’t forget I am a time traveller and I said big things was coming this year.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't need 50 games to determine if you are first grade standard - that's more than what the average fg player will be involved in. You can continue to improve after 50 games but if you cant decide if someone is quality after 15 to 20 games you need to question your own quality
By saying we need to rest players because of possible fatigue is extremely negative - its not going to help, devalues the fg jersey. Earn it keep it.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without the extra demands of Origin what exactly are the players being rested from? Nobody is being asked to play 3 games in 10 days?
I question whether a player is cut out for first grade if they can’t handle training and playing one game a week

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So Pay is that worried about fatigue being a factor he will rest players yet he is happy to run with a squad of 27 players....