Is Nick Meaney our long term fullback?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he deserves a full season there under Barrett. He is getting better each game and nice to see him in support a few times I today.
Totally agree. He has been very solid since Hopoate went down given his limited First Grade Experience in the Full Back role.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the Tedesco hype but easily forget Teddy had 5yrs at Tigers and wasn't hugely raved about in his first 3/4yrs. Not to mention everyone saying Meany is too small, he is slightly taller than Teddy and only a few kegs lighter.

Judge him after a full pre season at full back with new coaching staff and 10 or so rounds into next year's comp.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He is improving game by game, will be good to see him after another pre season and under Barrett. He definitely has the skills for it, just needs to put it all together.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was great today.
With good play makers around him he will show what his pace can do.
His haters use his defence to knock him but look at Tedesco, about the same.
Not too sure how your comparing him to Tedesco not really the same

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney should be back up fullback / winger only. We should chase both Charlie Stains and Albert Hopoate - sign them both then let them fight it out to see whose best to be our fullback. Hopoate would come cheap. Stains wouldn't break the bank either. Averillo seems like he might be made of glass unfortunately. Unsure if he can take the hard knocks playing fullback

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His been very good last few weeks and super reliable
Backing up
But my question is with positions in the spine being so important
Is nick Meaney a premiership winning fullback?

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney should be back up fullback / winger only. We should chase both Charlie Stains and Albert Hopoate - sign them both then let them fight it out to see whose best to be our fullback. Hopoate would come cheap. Stains wouldn't break the bank either. Averillo seems like he might be made of glass unfortunately. Unsure if he can take the hard knocks playing fullback
Im a huge staines fan. But u do realise both charlie and albert have more injury concerns than jake does.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His been very good last few weeks and super reliable
Backing up
But my question is with positions in the spine being so important
Is nick Meaney a premiership winning fullback?
Well dylan edwards may become one.
Id keep him around over dallin.
I always said he was better than dallin and everyone laughed.
Id rather staines though.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure he is lightweight but is serving his apprenticeship and standing his ground, hope Barrett bulks and molds him to where he needs to be.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes. Improving by the week, will be gun FB in 2 yrs.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I liked his work. A lot of times, he looked like he was a quarter through the line while looping around the back. Some ball skills to develop and could potentially be our fullback. Either way, I believe he has become too good now to be left out of the team. Fullback or Wing somewhere in the team.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The kid has great attributes that should make him a great fullback and the skills that he lacks he is more than capable of learning..... however unfortunately he lacks aggression, hunger and is not willing to put his body on the line... Those things are a lot harder to learn and often cannot be taught..

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No hasn’t got the balls. He should have saved at least 2 tries last week vs the storm and one vs parra when he just watched gutho score. Also has no ball playing skills whatsoever. He’d make a good back up that’s it

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hard to say, he was ok today but he’s had enough time to cement his spot albeit with bad players around him. But he doesnt the ball playing and tackle breaking ability which is needed for the modern day fullback. Definitely good for depth but we should look for someone else.