Is it better to wear no watch than a watch costing <$1000?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't care less... You seem like you have more going for you than materialism, but that's not the case for most people, those who spend their lives being poor just so they can have all the latest fashion accessories, gidgets and gadgets... that's my main gripe.. there is much more to life than being a slave to marketing
I will make the assumption that you also have a lot going for you, a man of substance let’s say. My point is the rest of society does react and judge to how they perceive you.
Example, if a salesman turns up at your house in a beata car you not going to buy anything from him as he obviously isn’t too successful. If the same salesman turns up in a rolls Royce you won’t buy either as you think he must be ripping everyone off to be able to afford it. So he has to give the impression he is an impressive salesman without saying he rips you off. More often than not people either want to deal with you or not, plenty selling the same product.

so despite you being a man of substance, you need to sell yourself at every opportunity to open doors for yourself. You might be a modest person , but Don’t be selling yourself short.

it’s also true that pretenders oversell themselves, people with substance can usually sort the sheep from the goats, the diamond from the rough. Pretenders are quickly found out but those of substance are often overlooked if they don’t sell themselves

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will make the assumption that you also have a lot going for you, a man of substance let’s say. My point is the rest of society does react and judge to how they perceive you.
Example, if a salesman turns up at your house in a beata car you not going to buy anything from him as he obviously isn’t too successful. If the same salesman turns up in a rolls Royce you won’t buy either as you think he must be ripping everyone off to be able to afford it. So he has to give the impression he is an impressive salesman without saying he rips you off. More often than not people either want to deal with you or not, plenty selling the same product.

so despite you being a man of substance, you need to sell yourself at every opportunity to open doors for yourself. You might be a modest person , but Don’t be selling yourself short.

it’s also true that pretenders oversell themselves, people with substance can usually sort the sheep from the goats, the diamond from the rough. Pretenders are quickly found out but those of substance are often overlooked if they don’t sell themselves

fair point... Most of my liaising is done via email or phone.. but I won't lie... if I am meeting a client, I will be be in a decent getup... so I can see where you're coming from in that regard... If you can afford it, and it doesn't make you miserable, cool... but I just can't deal with the type of people who spend all their money on new fashion and/or gadgets, but really aren't contributing in a creative or productive sense, and then they get miserable because they are broke, and the cycle continues

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fair point... Most of my liaising is done via email or phone.. but I won't lie... if I am meeting a client, I will be be in a decent getup... so I can see where you're coming from in that regard... If you can afford it, and it doesn't make you miserable, cool... but I just can't deal with the type of people who spend all their money on new fashion and/or gadgets, but really aren't contributing in a creative or productive sense, and then they get miserable because they are broke, and the cycle continues
Moon, I’m not sure what you mean. What should they be contributing in a productive or creative manner?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm a watch enthusiast. I appreciate the heritage, brand and quality in a mechanical watches.

I myself have a few.

Omega Planet Ocean
Rolex date just 41
Rolex GMT
Apple watch series 2

Currently on a waiting list for Rolex Daytona

Y'all probably think I'm a wank for owning and wearing them, well you can go FK yourself.

I'm always looking at what people wear on their wrist. Great conversation starter with other watch enthusiast.
@tonee I just came across this ad when reading another thread on The Kennel and remembered your post.

You may find this interesting;

https://jewellery.firststateauction...MI2YW4hcLe5wIVmgVyCh0RygdQEAEYASAAEgJfdPD_BwE

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@tonee I just came across this ad when reading another thread on The Kennel and remembered your post.

You may find this interesting;

https://jewellery.firststateauction...MI2YW4hcLe5wIVmgVyCh0RygdQEAEYASAAEgJfdPD_BwE
Thanks dude. Yeah I am familiar with this, the issue I have is they auction the pieces usually at market price anyways so not much of a bargain plus, it's generally watches only without any box and papers which typically drives the price of the watch down a little.

On another note, I'm pick up another Rollie on Saturday :grinning: got a call from my local authorised dealer from the Hour Glass, Sydney been on a waiting list for a particular time piece.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it's generally watches only without any box and papers which typically drives the price of the watch down a little.
I'm not a watch aficionado but I assume that provenance (and hence papers) are important when collecting high quality merchandise - I think I've seen a couple of Rolex watches on eBay with 'questionable' origins.

Hope you get great enjoyment from your new acquisition!

A

Alexander the Great

Thanks dude. Yeah I am familiar with this, the issue I have is they auction the pieces usually at market price anyways so not much of a bargain plus, it's generally watches only without any box and papers which typically drives the price of the watch down a little.

On another note, I'm pick up another Rollie on Saturday :grinning: got a call from my local authorised dealer from the Hour Glass, Sydney been on a waiting list for a particular time piece.
I want to buy a submariner one day. The Gold and Navy and silver one.
Amazing looking watch.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My father in law just bought a watch. Is the brand REC. Basically they make watches out of recycled parts. He loves the spitfiee plane and the one he got is made from parts of a spitfire that was used in the war (comes with the story of the plane)

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I want to buy a submariner one day. The Gold and Navy and silver one.
Amazing looking watch.
Nice watch, the two tone sub, but good luck with trying to get one tho. Very hard to obtain unless you get one from a re-seller which there prices are always jacked up :(

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice shot of my gardening/garage watch...

I wish...

Last edited:

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If you are the real deal you don't buy a Ferrari to begin with...
If you want to be somebody, buy a Ferrari,
If you are someone, buy a Lamborghini.