Opinion Is Gus our modern day Bullfrog

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I didn’t realise till lately, just how much Gus loves his Bulldogs and his passion for our club.
He’s done it all with Canterbury when you consider as a player, premiership winning coach, all under the greatest bulldog of them all, our beloved Bullfrog who crafted our DNA.
Gould has already said, he’s hear for the long haul and wants to return Canterbury to the club he once knew, to the club they once were and to the club that is the epitome of the league.
I don’t know if he would want to or find the energy to do it again at another club.
Maybe and I hope he is here to stay to keep his influence and watchful eye at the Bulldogs till the end just as our patriarch Peter (Bullfrog) More did.
Maybe he owes it to Bullfrog for the belief and guidance shown in him all those years ago as a young coach who guided Canterbury to that premiership all those years ago.
Maybe Gus was the apprentice and Bullfrog the Master who taught him the lessons on how success is earned.
Gus has now come full circle.
Come on Doggies.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Little doubt he would have admired Bullfrog back in the day and at times thought he was a silly old fart too.Passion/loyalty was unquestionable though..

Geez the fans have gone all in the last couple of days many are up and about big time with good cause to be, howeverwe still have a lot of work to do on the training track then match days to get up and about and start fkn improving/winning!

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
let's not get carried away just yet... we were perennial contenders and won multiple premierships under Bullfrog
Looks like he’s here to stay from what he is saying.
min a short time he’s made a big diff already.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am sure that people choose to romantisize the relationship between Bullfrog and Gould but I asure you it wasn't smooth sailing.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
let's not get carried away just yet... we were perennial contenders and won multiple premierships under Bullfrog
Why not, let’s get carried away. Best thing that’s happened for us in years. It’s been a long wait.
Smartest, influential man in the business is in our office.
if you were a fighter and had Johnny Lewis in your corner, would you feel confident?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love his impact, let's hope he can become even 10% of what bullfrog was for this club.

Loving the hate too by the way, my mates who follow the chooks manly etc are all amazed at our recruitment and massively jealous.

Now we just have to hope our quality outshines the corrupt calls we're gonna cop

Reactions: DT

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only one bullfrog, but gus would have learnt alot from him, he is the closest we will ever see sadly. Im no dean pay basher, but we turned the corner when he got flicked.
No one wanted to come over with our coaching staff at the time, no surprise cowboys also went south when georgie went up there.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Could be wrong....

But didn't Bullfrog once call a meeting of all team heads to a meeting at a succulent Chinese restaurant...then do a no-show
while signing a young Andrew Farrar...that they'd all been chasing? Gus is taking up the legacy!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The quote from gus a couple of years ago saying “the bulldogs are the biggest club in Sydney, they’ve just gotta start acting like it” always stuck with me that’s exactly what hes doing now, acting like it.
On Gould's behalf he's not acting, that's what I like about him. He is enforcing the rest to follow the vision he knows to be true. Gus is an old school Bulldog, player and coach. His first taste of success was with the Bulldogs. As a player he bought into / he believed in the culture they cultivated as many before him also did. Gus once said during an interview that he counted himself lucky to be apart of the team and play as many games as he did because we had better players waiting to come back either because of injury or suspenssion. Gus knows knows what it takes to be a Bulldog and how to bring success back to Belmore....he is not acting, he is enforcing his will. We have lost our way these past few years Gus will get us back on track.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be wrong....

But didn't Bullfrog once call a meeting of all team heads to a meeting at a succulent Chinese restaurant...then do a no-show
while signing a young Andrew Farrar...that they'd all been chasing? Gus is taking up the legacy!
Lol Bullfrog always got his man. If it wasn't for him players like Steve Mortimer & Terry Lamb might have ended up elsewhere