Is Foran Bad for the Bulldogs Rebuild?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d rather have Foran play reserve grade and waste the $1 million on our cap then give Des the benefit of paying some of his contract at Manly.
I think the time has come, to stop paying players to play for other clubs, even if it causes short term pain.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a Manly source I spoke to today they want Foran if Dogs pay part of his salary. This guy is a die hard Eagles member.
Manly have cap issues so I'm sure they'd absolutely love for us to pay anyone to go there.

Lets imagine its even considered for 1 second (it wont be). It would be absolutely stupid to pay foran out, especially to go to manly. Imagine the fan outrage if he maintained health and had a great season there under Des whilst we were footing the bill?

The fans would boot the mob in charge out instantly next time around.

Anyway, we're far better off riding out his contract and hoping that he can stay on the field. From the information that we currently have available to us there is just about no scenario that we pay him to play elsewhere that we'd come out clear winners.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Manly have cap issues so I'm sure they'd absolutely love for us to pay anyone to go there.

Lets imagine its even considered for 1 second (it wont be). It would be absolutely stupid to pay foran out, especially to go to manly. Imagine the fan outrage if he maintained health and had a great season there under Des whilst we were footing the bill?

The fans would boot the mob in charge out instantly next time around.

Anyway, we're far better off riding out his contract and hoping that he can stay on the field. From the information that we currently have available to us there is just about no scenario that we pay him to play elsewhere that we'd come out clear winners.
Spot on that’s exactly why he’s not going anywhere. No other team is going to pick up 100% of his current contract so it’s a waste of time talking about him getting released.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt Foran will see out the season given his age and the state of his body. Wanting to continue playing at the elite level is one thing. Being able to do so is another. And being permitted or even encouraged to do so is yet another matter entirely. The nrl will have to wake up to themselves in talking about not letting a player retire on medical grounds. It's not a question about the cap. It is the legal duty of care that the club and the league have to their players to not aggravate the medical condition and long term health of a player, once they are on notice. And in Foran's case they have had plenty of notice about his physical and mental health problems. Now Foran himself won't put his hand up and stand down - he would have a hard time making the coin he is on doing anything else. But at some point the legal duty of care to him may force the club and the nrl to pull the pin. If the don't they will leave themselves open to legal action and significant financial claims.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fkn lol, some dud starts with insulting anyone who doesn't agree then expects us to read his dribble....

Puts players in holes but has no passing game and organisation, fkn lol Now we know who Bennett and Bellamy calls for help.

Let's give a fit Foran a shot before shit talking. Hopefully he shuts you up.
Totaly agree Assassin, I think he has a big heart, and I think if he has his body right then we will see a very different Kieren. I saw enough of him in the games he played to suggest he still has the goods, I just hope his body is right and it stays right till his confidence returns. I think at the start of this year he tried to do too much on his own, but with LL there the weight will be shared. I think, I think maybe too much.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt Foran will see out the season given his age and the state of his body. Wanting to continue playing at the elite level is one thing. Being able to do so is another. And being permitted or even encouraged to do so is yet another matter entirely. The nrl will have to wake up to themselves in talking about not letting a player retire on medical grounds. It's not a question about the cap. It is the legal duty of care that the club and the league have to their players to not aggravate the medical condition and long term health of a player, once they are on notice. And in Foran's case they have had plenty of notice about his physical and mental health problems. Now Foran himself won't put his hand up and stand down - he would have a hard time making the coin he is on doing anything else. But at some point the legal duty of care to him may force the club and the nrl to pull the pin. If the don't they will leave themselves open to legal action and significant financial claims.
I don’t believe that money is what makes Foran want to play, like all the players I know he just flat out wants to play, it’s the competition that drives them, no one is more frustrated at not being able to play than someone who is injured, it drives them crazy. In the end if he gets medically retired then he gets paid anyway, so I don’t see money as a motivation for sticking around and not playing at his best.

Medical retirement is tricky, that’s why it doesn’t happen very often and is usually as a result of a major injury, just being “worn out” doesn’t cut it. Plus it has to be a “new” issue, something that happened after the current contract was signed. Which is fair, NRL contracts have disclosure clauses and any exiting “injuries” have to be declared. You signed him with the injury, so you knew what you were getting. From what I understand there are a number of “new” issues but it’s up to the NRL medical to agree and they don’t just sign off as demonstrated by the small number of successful medical retirements.

For me Foran is a good player, one that our team would greatly benefit from, so I’m prepared to give him a go and if it doesn’t work then we go through the processes of releasing the cap space and move on.

Go Dogs

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fkn lol, some dud starts with insulting anyone who doesn't agree then expects us to read his dribble....

Puts players in holes but has no passing game and organisation, fkn lol Now we know who Bennett and Bellamy calls for help.

Fuck him, fuck hasler and fuck every fucken **** from manly who has been through our club

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

This x 100000000

Thank Warriors for his 2018 issues, because they fucked up his injury management (which is why he ended up having to have wrist surgery as well as toe surgery).

I'm crossing my fingers he fires up next season and absolutely kills it.