Is Foran Bad for the Bulldogs Rebuild?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Breaking News . Shaun Johnson on the open market. Now time to medically retire Foran and bring in Johnson #wishfullthinking?

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks to SJ. The reason he's potentially on the market is because he want's a huge contract and the warriors are considering letting him walk. Speaks volumes.

And besides that, we can't just "medically retire" a player on a whim. Not sure why it keeps getting brought up like we can just roll that out instantaneously.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And besides that, we can't just "medically retire" a player on a whim. Not sure why it keeps getting brought up like we can just roll that out instantaneously.
You're right, any medical retirement has to be signed off by the NRL head medical officer which means we can't just say "he's medically retired". Firstly Foran himself would have to agree (which doesn't appear to be his wish) and then there would have to be proven medical evidence that he can no longer continue to play. The success rate on medically retiring players isn't good, Whatmough is the only recent one that I can recall being successfully retired, paid out, with full salary cap exemption.

Go Dogs

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
SJ needs a change of scenery, an Aussie team and coach to bring out the best in him. He has had it way too easy over NZ way.

On his day he is one of the most dangerous players, shits all over what we have. At the right price would take him

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Breaking News . Shaun Johnson on the open market. Now time to medically retire Foran and bring in Johnson #wishfullthinking?
There are a number of Shaun Johnson haters on the Kennel , but I put him streets ahead of Foran.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There are a number of Shaun Johnson haters on the Kennel , but I put him streets ahead of Foran.
Injury wise? The bloke is a champagne flute. Plus he goes MIA too much for my liking.

No, I'm not defending Foran. Failed "investment" from the fraud.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Injury wise? The bloke is a champagne flute. Plus he goes MIA too much for my liking.
The second point is probably the main criticism ive seen of him. I don't watch a huge amount of Warriors games, but in many I have seen, he seems to be in control of things.

As for the injury thing, well, surely Foran is the more injury prone? Hes not in Chase Stanket Territory, but still pretty ordinary...

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not comparing this to the Foran situation as that money is already spent.

I don't hate SJ... but the question in my mind is more "do you think SJ is worth over a million dollars?". Justifying his pricetag will be tough for most clubs to be honest.

I think the way we're going about building our roster is smart. Signing someone like SJ would appear to be the opposite of the current recruitment philosophy that we're rolling with.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The second point is probably the main criticism ive seen of him. I don't watch a huge amount of Warriors games, but in many I have seen, he seems to be in control of things.

As for the injury thing, well, surely Foran is the more injury prone? Hes not in Chase Stanket Territory, but still pretty ordinary...
Don't get me wrong, if we can get rid of Foran and get SJ at the right contract, I'm all for it.

Injury wise they both usually get long stints on the side lines.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're right, any medical retirement has to be signed off by the NRL head medical officer which means we can't just say "he's medically retired". Firstly Foran himself would have to agree (which doesn't appear to be his wish) and then there would have to be proven medical evidence that he can no longer continue to play. The success rate on medically retiring players isn't good, Whatmough is the only recent one that I can recall being successfully retired, paid out, with full salary cap exemption.

Go Dogs
I'm OK with our club giving him another chance this coming season, but with all the time he has had to "get his body right" if he breaks down again, I just hope that he has the decency to agree to be medically retired, it would then make it a lot easier for the NRL and their doctor to agree.
He would then get payed out in full, and then probably earn something as an assistant halves coach.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SJ needs a change of scenery, an Aussie team and coach to bring out the best in him. He has had it way too easy over NZ way.

On his day he is one of the most dangerous players, shits all over what we have. At the right price would take him
I agree that SJ has a lot of flare and is a very good attacking player, but what we need most of all is a GAME MANAGER along side Lewis and IMHO SJ is not.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree that SJ has a lot of flare and is a very good attacking player, but what we need most of all is a GAME MANAGER along side Lewis and IMHO SJ is not.
I see Lewis as the game manager and we need to get someone exactly like Johnson next to him.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran is bad news, if Hasler wants him back at Manly then send him packing.
From a Manly source I spoke to today they want Foran if Dogs pay part of his salary. This guy is a die hard Eagles member.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
From a Manly source I spoke to today they want Foran if Dogs pay part of his salary. This guy is a die hard Eagles member.
I’d rather have Foran play reserve grade and waste the $1 million on our cap then give Des the benefit of paying some of his contract at Manly.