News Is a 33-year-old journeyman with a bung knee the answer to the Bulldog’s problems?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another nothing article. Of course Green is not the answer and probably wouldn’t have even been signed for one year if Foran was going to stay for one more year. ‘Brilliant’ Brandon Wakeham? The jury is still well and truly out on that. The cap problems are solved for 2021 but when there’s very little quality available in key positions you go for the stop-gap - exactly what Green is. Still 7 spots available for 2021, there will be further changes...

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Another nothing article. Of course Green is not the answer and probably wouldn’t have even been signed for one year if Foran was going to stay for one more year. ‘Brilliant’ Brandon Wakeham? The jury is still well and truly out on that. The cap problems are solved for 2021 but when there’s very little quality available in key positions you go for the stop-gap - exactly what Green is. Still 7 spots available for 2021, there will be further changes...
All these articles are toilet paper really. I didn’t even read it cause the heading wasn’t interesting enough. We actually have a former representative in the halves coaching us next year so let’s see what happens.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Time will tell if we were better retaining someone like Cogger for a year or signing Green.

There's been a few whispers that he's contemplated retirement, last thing we need is to get to Feb next year and he pulls the pin which is entirely possible. Then it really will be a serious problem with Lewis and Wakeham the only ones signed at this stage.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
One year only, I still believe Foran for two years regardless of the plan Barrett and the board have in mind was the better option but what is done now is done. Even at 33 or 34 (however old he'll be) he'll be better than what we have. From what I've seen I don't have any faith in our current halves. We still have to go out and buy one as is. Our recruitment so far suggests 2021 will be another write off (Green's a downgrade on Foran imo, Cotric is a good signing, Thompson has been a flop I hate to say it, we need a lot more). We're definitely favourites for the wooden spoon again as is. If we don't sign a top hooker that's the icing on the cake really. I'm not really keen for the long term as we've already waited ~3 years. If we're not competitive for the eight next year that'll do me. The board and Barrett will be under a lot of pressure too.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the club is supposed to do. There are no quality playmakers out there to sign.

Foran was the best option on a one year deal but he wanted 2 years. I don’t think he deserved 2 years. So we signed the next best AVAILABLE playmaker that was willing to except a one year deal.

Of course it’s not ideal but people keep bagging out the signing without coming up with a valid solution (one that doesn’t involve a player breaking a contract). If I hear Matt Burton again I will spew.He would be costing Penrith nothing so why on earth would they let him go ?? If one of their halves go down next year they have a gun replacement ready who isn’t taking up much of their cap

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
One year only, I still believe Foran for two years regardless of the plan Barrett and the board have in mind was the better option but what is done now is done. Even at 33 or 34 (however old he'll be) he'll be better than what we have. From what I've seen I don't have any faith in our current halves. We still have to go out and buy one as is. Our recruitment so far suggests 2021 will be another write off (Green's a downgrade on Foran imo, Cotric is a good signing, Thompson has been a flop I hate to say it, we need a lot more). We're definitely favourites for the wooden spoon again as is. If we don't sign a top hooker that's the icing on the cake really. I'm not really keen for the long term as we've already waited ~3 years. If we're not competitive for the eight next year that'll do me. The board and Barrett will be under a lot of pressure too.
Barrett wanted to sign Green and didn't want to Sign Foran, that's the bottom line as I see it.

Green won't be on the park until May. It will be challenge for him returning from such a serious injury at 34.

Anyways let's look forward to the Lewis / Wakeham combination for next season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Barrett wanted to sign Green and didn't want to Sign Foran, that's the bottom line as I see it.

Green won't be on the park until May. It will be challenge for him returning from such a serious injury at 34.

Anyways let's look forward to the Lewis / Wakeham combination for next season.
Even tho I disagree with the decision to go with Green over Foran under any circumstances, the deal was done before Green picking up the ACL injury, so a bit of save face there. That's already going to affect us massively for the start of 2021 tho.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure what the club is supposed to do. There are no quality playmakers out there to sign.

Foran was the best option on a one year deal but he wanted 2 years. I don’t think he deserved 2 years. So we signed the next best AVAILABLE playmaker that was willing to except a one year deal.

Of course it’s not ideal but people keep bagging out the signing without coming up with a valid solution (one that doesn’t involve a player breaking a contract). If I hear Matt Burton again I will spew.He would be costing Penrith nothing so why on earth would they let him go ?? If one of their halves go down next year they have a gun replacement ready who isn’t taking up much of their cap
How about signing Cogger instead. Seriously wtf

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about signing Cogger instead. Seriously wtf
I don’t mind Cogger but he is not a game manager. That was pretty obvious last week.

I would have him at 6 in front of Wakeham or Lewis though. The other 2 have no running game

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever way you look at it or spin it, going into next season with a 34 year Green recovering from an ACL, Lewis and Wakeham as our main halves isn't good enough.

We shouldn't be relying on a stopgap after they had three seasons to identify and sign a long term half or two.

For those preaching patience as there were "no halves available", who is to say they can sign a long term half for 2022 or beyond? What if they're constantly buying stopgaps and band-aid solutions that get us nowhere?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever way you look at it or spin it, going into next season with a 34 year Green recovering from an ACL, Lewis and Wakeham as our main halves isn't good enough.

We shouldn't be relying on a stopgap after they had three seasons to identify and sign a long term half or two.

For those preaching patience as there were "no halves available", who is to say they can sign a long term half for 2022 or beyond? What if they're constantly buying stopgaps and band-aid solutions that get us nowhere?
There are a lot more halves off contract at the end of next year. If the club doesn’t sign a decent half for 2022 I will be the first one to bag them out.

Also remember that 2021 is a long way away. Hopefully they might get someone. Remember that the knights signed Mitch Pearce in December. Similar to the sharks with Johnson

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All the people who rate Wakeham very highly must not watch him play very often
I don't see a lot of people rating wakeham "highly" .. I do see a lot of people rating Lewis poorly and desperate for another alternative (and rightly so).. I don't think wakeham has been managed very well at all. Whether he can do better when managed better, remains to be seen..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There are a lot more halves off contract at the end of next year. If the club doesn’t sign a decent half for 2022 I will be the first one to bag them out.

Also remember that 2021 is a long way away. Hopefully they might get someone. Remember that the knights signed Mitch Pearce in December. Similar to the sharks with Johnson
That's why I think they should have waited with Green. It wasn't like other clubs were inundating him with offers and it would have given us more flexibility to see if any halves did become available over the offseason. We also would have been able to dodge to bullet of his ACL.. Obviously we can still sign players that later become available, but we have one less squad spot and 300k less..

Anyway, my issue is the club and we as fans go from it "being 2020 til we start being competitive", to "wait til 2021 and they use all the cap space to judge them" to now it's "let's wait and see what happens who and we can get for 2022" and so on.. Where and when will it end?

It's not asking much to be competitive and flirt with coming 7th or 8th once in five seasons when half the teams in the comp make the finals and clubs that were as cap fucked as us have turned around their fortunes much quicker..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's why I think they should have waited with Green. It wasn't like other clubs were inundating him with offers and it would have given us more flexibility to see if any halves did become available over the offseason. We also would have been able to dodge to bullet of his ACL.. Obviously we can still sign players that later become available, but we have one less squad spot and 300k less..

Anyway, my issue is the club and we as fans go from it "being 2020 til we start being competitive", to "wait til 2021 and they use all the cap space to judge them" to now it's "let's wait and see what happens who and we can get for 2022" and so on.. Where and when will it end?

It's not asking much to be competitive and flirt with coming 7th or 8th once in five seasons when half the teams in the comp make the finals and clubs that were as cap fucked as us have turned around their fortunes much quicker..
To me it was always 2021, but there's no way I'm moving the goal posts to 2022. I don't buy no talent being available because we should of been active in the transfer market (actually signing players) when last November hit. We're now relying on players breaking contract which was always a risky move and not guaranteed.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
To me it was always 2021, but there's no way I'm moving the goal posts to 2022. I don't buy no talent being available because we should of been active in the transfer market (actually signing players) when last November hit. We're now relying on players breaking contract which was always a risky move and not guaranteed.
That's why they fucked up by not signing Holbrook last season or firing Pay halfway through last year... Now we're a further year behind in recruitment and development. So many poor decisions have been made over the past three seasons that have led to this situation.