Internet Terms no longer used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
What are some you recall?

ASL - Age/sex/location - used to be popular in chat rooms and programs such as MIRC (remember that LOL).

BRB - Be right back. Usually would be used in private chat such as MSN Messenger

POS - used to stand for Parent Over Shoulder - Americans used to use this one a lot :tearsofjoy:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
AFK - Away from Keyboard

Noob - Still used but not very often

Owned - It's a real pity this isn't used anymore. One of my favourites.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Salty has become popular and all that black American ghetto Instagram lingo really pisses me off.

"Why he do his boi like dat tho"

"Thots be like"

"This is lit"

"I'm dying"

"With the bae"

I can't stand this new shit especially with the shit emojis added.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What are some you recall?
ASL - Age/sex/location - used to be popular in chat rooms and programs such as MIRC (remember that LOL).
BRB - Be right back. Usually would be used in private chat such as MSN Messenger
POS - used to stand for Parent Over Shoulder - Americans used to use this one a lot :tearsofjoy:

CHAT CLIENTS:

Mirc was OK.
ComicChat was for those who had no idea (or pedos).
Pirch was the client real men used :grinning: Men not afraid to program out scripts.
*side note - I used to use Pirch heaps and run one of the larger teenage chat rooms many MANY moons ago.

IM CLIENTS:
ICQ shit all over MSN and Yahoo Messengers. In the later years I found Trillian best of the lot as it was completely cross platform.

SOCIAL MEDIA SITES:
Myspace ... anyone remember that?

CAM SITES:
Anyone used to use Stickam to chat with randoms (I think it was overwritten by Chat Roulette).

So many nostalgic sites/software out there no longer used, and back then it WAS harmlessly used.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Roflcopter never made sense.

You lie to mental health, you pay double! Roflcopter..

Wahesh

Reaction score
IM CLIENTS:
ICQ shit all over MSN and Yahoo Messengers. In the later years I found Trillian best of the lot as it was completely cross platform.

SOCIAL MEDIA SITES:
Myspace ... anyone remember that?
Wasn't ICQ a program that would take so long to send messages... like there was a huge lag between sending and receiving? I remember people used to be able to send SMS messages for free on that thing and went crazy lol.

As for myspace, I think Justin Timberlake bought it a few years ago in the hope of rebuilding it. This was during the height of Facebook. Goodluck getting people to go back there Timberlake :tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score
I just remembered another one...

TTYL: Talk to you later :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't ICQ a program that would take so long to send messages... like there was a huge lag between sending and receiving? I remember people used to be able to send SMS messages for free on that thing and went crazy lol.

As for myspace, I think Justin Timberlake bought it a few years ago in the hope of rebuilding it. This was during the height of Facebook. Goodluck getting people to go back there Timberlake :tearsofjoy:
Nah ICQ wwas instant.... the first instant messenger.

Previously being in IT do you recall WinPopup and Netsend at all? :D

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone remember maxichat? If no one was in chat and you joined, it would make the first participant channel operator (or channop). People used to get kicked for no reason at all.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Salty has become popular and all that black American ghetto Instagram lingo really pisses me off.

"Why he do his boi like dat tho"

"Thots be like"

"This is lit"

"I'm dying"

"With the bae"

I can't stand this new shit especially with the shit emojis added.
You mean you can't even read this emoji text? Pffft

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nah ICQ wwas instant.... the first instant messenger.

Previously being in IT do you recall WinPopup and Netsend at all? :D
I remember Net Send. Actually I first used that in TAFE as a test. I did a Net Send All command (Net Send * from memory) and it went to every computer in the campus :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I immediately left that room and went to the library as every computer had a sticker with the name on it so they could trace where it came from.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Was Ganga a general word or net slang?

I love saying ganga lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
8=======D~~~~~~

Anyone remember maxichat? If no one was in chat and you joined, it would make the first participant channel operator (or channop). People used to get kicked for no reason at all.
That was standard for IRC servers in general, except if you had a registered channel with a chatbot there all the time.

Back in the day that's how we did it to hold down the channel. I coded up the chatbot myself from scratch.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You almost got there bro, you left out the most important part.

It's either this:

(.Y.)

(titties)

Or this

(_O_)

(arse)
Bro I'm an old ****, give me a break you fucking young whippersnapper.

Get the fuck off my lawn!

Status
Not open for further replies.