Interesting scenario...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so we have re-signed Tolman, Pritchard and Eastwood and Graham, Kasiano and Finucane are all there next year.

If I'm not mistaken, we re-signed David Klemmer on a big money deal at the start of the season starting next year.

With all these players remaining, where does Klemmer fit into first grade? we will be paying the bloke close to 300K next season and I'd imagine; not to play NSW Cup.

On top of that, do you guys think Josh Jackson will want to re-sign? Pritchard, T-Rex here for another 3 years each .. I don't think he'll want to play second fiddle to these guys when he could possibly get a starting spot somewhere else.

Thoughts?

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer is still a pup and his time will come. Also, you need quality depth to win a competition as there will always be injuries, suspensions and representative duties. Also, have competition for spots is very healthy.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer comes in for Halatau. And Finucane will play out wider like Halatau does know. Currently Dale is playing in tight like a front rower

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
gibbo2 nailed it.

I'd imagine next year our pack will line up like.

8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Kasiano
11. Pritchard
12. T Williams
13. Eastwood

14. Graham
15. Jackson
16. Finucane
17. Klemmer

I don't think Jackson or Finucane will be let go. We must keep them and they both seem to love the club, the will learn alot from Pritchard and Tony and Eastwood and Graham.

I think James Graham proves coming off the bench means bugger all. Jackson still plays quality minutes like Graham and are vital for us. Finucane plays alot less though I think over the next year or two he will step up and Klemmer will then be used as the player to play 20-30 minutes in the game.

I think if anyone is a threat of leaving it is Taupau he is quality depth for us, though he is not a starting front rower in first grade yet in my opinion. Only need to see the difference between him James Graham and Kasiano.

H

HajdukSplit

gibbo2 nailed it.

I'd imagine next year our pack will line up like.

8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Kasiano
11. Pritchard
12. T Williams
13. Eastwood

14. Graham
15. Jackson
16. Finucane
17. Klemmer

I don't think Jackson or Finucane will be let go. We must keep them and they both seem to love the club, the will learn alot from Pritchard and Tony and Eastwood and Graham.

I think James Graham proves coming off the bench means bugger all. Jackson still plays quality minutes like Graham and are vital for us. Finucane plays alot less though I think over the next year or two he will step up and Klemmer will then be used as the player to play 20-30 minutes in the game.

I think if anyone is a threat of leaving it is Taupau he is quality depth for us, though he is not a starting front rower in first grade yet in my opinion. Only need to see the difference between him James Graham and Kasiano.
That bench is missing a utility position! KK, Romelo, Halatau?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
That bench is missing a utility position! KK, Romelo, Halatau?

Halatau is a rare kind like that I agree though he is hardly a quality hooker, half or centre option. He can fill in the 9 and centres alright. I think we could cover the centre with Tony if we really needed it. Not ideal but cover.

I get the feel Jackson could cover some stuff too. Hell James Graham could cover the half if injuries occured and push Reynolds to hooker if hooker injuries occured.

Not ideal, though hopefully our run of injuries are past for a while.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the feeling we are going to lose finucane, jackson or both after next season. We arent going to have the cash to retain everyone imo.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so we have re-signed Tolman, Pritchard and Eastwood and Graham, Kasiano and Finucane are all there next year.

If I'm not mistaken, we re-signed David Klemmer on a big money deal at the start of the season starting next year.

With all these players remaining, where does Klemmer fit into first grade? we will be paying the bloke close to 300K next season and I'd imagine; not to play NSW Cup.

On top of that, do you guys think Josh Jackson will want to re-sign? Pritchard, T-Rex here for another 3 years each .. I don't think he'll want to play second fiddle to these guys when he could possibly get a starting spot somewhere else.

Thoughts?
Klemmer close to $300k/year? Really?

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. 1mil over 3 years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ng-his-nrl-debut/story-e6frexnr-1226591080851

He was getting big offers from other clubs

People are going to whinge when we lose jackson / finucane... that was the tradeoff for getting pritchard imo

I really hope todd didnt write blank cheques because hes on the way out.
We are in the unique position that we have a very small wage bill for our halves.

Most teams are paying 2-3 times the wages on their halves that we are.

Not saying this is a good thing as i would love a world class 7. This does however give us more allowance to spend elsewhere that other clubs cannot do.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. 1mil over 3 years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ng-his-nrl-debut/story-e6frexnr-1226591080851

He was getting big offers from other clubs

People are going to whinge when we lose jackson / finucane... that was the tradeoff for getting pritchard imo

I really hope todd didnt write blank cheques because hes on the way out.
You have mentioned ur concern about the cap many times. What u need to understand is that the cap is increasing progressively over the next few years. So we can accommodate players. Also, players will accept a little less to play for Des as:

1. He is a great coach and mentor
2. He brings out the best in players
3. He is successful and the teams he coaches are

Further, the dogs have the best training facilities of all clubs. And players really get looked after. That's why they want to stay and will do so for less money. Pritchard is a perfect example. The offer from the Tigers was more than the dogs but he still stayed.

Pritchard was a MUST sign. What he brings to the team in more significant than u think. He lifts the boys, is a leader and is best mates with a few of them, including Kas. The team lifts when he is around. Not many players have that influence. And of course he is a gun player. Des wanted Frank. Des will keep who he wants. Period!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of posters in this thread....

1. Barba
2. Inu
3. Morris
4. Lafai
5. Perrett

Looked to me that Lafai and Perrett have formed a deadly combo

toy boy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Iv always said tht lafai is a must in our team best option is having him keep his position but I doubt it

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone assumes linear payment for players over the term of their contract. To the contrary, I would assume in years where we have a batch of quality juniors (Ie Finucane, Jackson, Klemmer, Lafai) we could actually front end or back end contracts of our marquee signings. So if we take Williams as an example it is possible we actually paid $1 mill of his contract this season versus just the linear 550 a season as touted. This would free up salary cap in 2014 for jackson, finucane or folou. I guess my point is I think it is naive to think any player is going to be squeezed out of our club due to salary cap constraints. If we want to keep them we will.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Where the hell did you pull the $300k figure from???

Btw we have resigned Jackson and Finucane last year and we will be upgrading their contract soon.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You need depth in the forwards because typically they get injured more often, and theres more of them in the 17 than any other position. Hes depth. Hes lucky to get paid as much as he is at his age, and hes just a replacement player currently.

Same thing happens in the backs. When Inu gets back, a good player will be going to NSW Cup. Probably Brown. And hes scored 5 tries this year and looks decent. But he isnt as good as Morris, Perret, Inu, Lafai

Status
Not open for further replies.