Opinion Interchange

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the actual fuck is going on with our interchange? Pay has been here for how many years and is still making the same dumb mistakes over and over again.

7, yes SEVEN is the number of changes we made last night. For a team that was on the back foot and losing the forward battle we made 7 fucking changes. Now to highlight things further we made two changes rotating our outside backs, Averillo off for Harper and then minutes later Meaney off with Averillo returning.

Now let's look at the timing of these changes. 30 minutes in and how many changes do you think we made? 1, a single fucking interchange. How can you sit there as a head coach and see the amount of possession the Roosters had and the fatigue that had set in and NOT act?

Let's at the Roosters, how many do you think they made during the opening 30 where they dominated possession? 3. THREEEE FUCKING CHANGES. A team that is on the front foot makes 3 changes between the 23rd and the 28th minute while our of a coach sits on his arse doing fucking nothing. Unbelievable.

Onto To'omaga...Tolman out and surely that means he's going to get some quality minutes? Ahh na the Pay is in charge and he gets a measly 32 minutes. Yes he was tired but so was the entire team, yet in the final minute of his spell he was out on either edge making a last ditch tackles and attempting a tackle cover....but hey best not give him another spell.

Our forward pack is not at level it needs to be at, but the flawed systems in place and pathetic use of the bench and timing of changes continually puts us further on the back foot. Imagine being dominated in the forwards are practically wasting almost half your changes to not counter that... unbelievable.

Blueyy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Spot on, Pay has no clue. Roosters bring on 3 fresh forwards and the following set Sitili rips through our tired forwards in the middle. What’s the point of having interchanges if you’re not going to use them...

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our backs are below par but watching last night's game we need a whole new front row as well.... Interchange was terrible but fuck, we need a whole new side.
The only players to keep would be hoppa, dwz, toomaga, averillo, Jackson, Elliot, RFM. Everyone else see ya

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our backs are below par but watching last night's game we need a whole new front row as well.... Interchange was terrible but fuck, we need a whole new side.
The only players to keep would be hoppa, dwz, toomaga, averillo, Jackson, Elliot, RFM. Everyone else see ya
We don't need mass changes imo, we need changes in key positions and a few tweaks here and there. There's enough players in the squad that can play a role and lift a gear of two with better coaching a quality around them. We simply need to spend on out and out quality or high potential players suited to the modern game.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Spot on, Pay has no clue. Roosters bring on 3 fresh forwards and the following set Sitili rips through our tired forwards in the middle. What’s the point of having interchanges if you’re not going to use them...
These are facts being pointed out regarding Pay's incompetence. How much longer can the club continue to support it?

It's not mere opinion and negativity...it's facts. How can anyone who cares about this club not be prepared to call it out.

Thankfully a few on here have now seen the light after it was brutally exposed last night. Our team selections, bench rotations and gameplan does not have to be this bad as it is with Dean Pay making the decisions.

I thought ok unfortunately there aren't any coaches available, leave Pay there till a proven winner is signed.

But now it's hard to defend that thinking. It couldn't possibly get worse could it? Do we have anything left to lose by choosing a new path?

If an interim coach comes in, we may lift with better processes and a more positive plan for the future.

We are just keeping our head above the quicksand at the moment. We need a way out NOW.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need mass changes imo, we need changes in key positions and a few tweaks here and there. There's enough players in the squad that can play a role and lift a gear of two with better coaching a quality around them. We simply need to spend on out and out quality or high potential players suited to the modern game.
I can't see things turning around with a couple of add ins. We need quality 1st graders and ATM we have stuff all of them at our club

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brother...I’ve been saying this shit for years. His use of interchange is a joke!
He is trying to be ahead of the curve :p playing wingers and centres on the bench and bring them on for 15-20 mins.

I think he thinks wait until the opposition sees my team. They won’t know how to counteract my genius :p

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a fucking joke.!!!!!!!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Easy gig telling everyone how it should be done from the armchair.

Let’s not forget we had a team full of reserve graders taking on a team full of superstars.

Bench rotations aren’t gonna make a difference to the result when the gulf in class of cattle is as pronounced as it was last night.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Last night we saw a great first grade side play about an average reserve grade side. Even one of the dribblers in the half time wash up mentioned that no one in the bulldogs team would make it into the Roosters side. This is all a little harsh but when a team as good and well drilled as the Roosters are on song it can make an ordinary side look really bad. Our poor forwards were bashed and that made our lackluster back line play even worse as they had no room to move. I'm happy were weren't punted by 50+ But I am Half glass full kind of guy.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let’s not forget we had a team full of reserve graders taking on a team full of superstars.

Bench rotations aren’t gonna make a difference to the result when the gulf in class of cattle is as pronounced as it was last night.
Who’s fault is it that we have reserve graders? Somebody needs to be accountable

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Who’s fault is it that we have reserve graders? Somebody needs to be accountable
Accountable for what? The Board and CEO told us all in 2018 that this period through til end of 2020 was gonna be extremely tough, and that our hands were practically tied in the player market.

If you chose not to listen nor face up to realities and are now getting all angry about it then that’s your issue.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

We were always going to lose but better selections, tactics and rotations could have prevented a complete bloodbath..

Why make one interchange in 30 minutes when you're down 24-0?

How can anyone explain taking Averillo off and then putting him back on a few minutes later?

You wanted Pay to get his dues for his changes last week, well he also deserves criticism for these performances and mind boggling decisions.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Accountable for what? The Board and CEO told us all in 2018 that this period through til end of 2020 was gonna be extremely tough, and that our hands were practically tied in the player market.

If you chose not to listen nor face up to realities and are now getting all angry about it then that’s your issue.
That’s nonsense and you know it. The inability to recruit one of the top line hookers available in the off season is part of the problem you can’t attribute to the cap position.
Saying we need to wait until year 4 for improvement is a cop out.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Matty Johns said something poignant in the post match

“I’m sick of coaches saying, well he’s got player X and I’ve only got this player. Well then make your guy better, coach your team, that’s your job”

At the end of the day, you can expect to lose but when the team is nowhere near fulfilling their potential the buck stops with the coach.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We were always going to lose but better selections, tactics and rotations could have prevented a complete bloodbath..

Why make one interchange in 30 minutes when you're down 24-0?

How can anyone explain taking Averillo off and then putting him back on a few minutes later?

You wanted Pay to get his dues for his changes last week, well he also deserves criticism for these performances and mind boggling decisions.
We were 18-0 down after 13 minutes mate. Not sure how many or what changes you wanted to cram into the opening 15 to prevent that from happening. We shot ourselves in the foot with ill discipline and couldn’t contain their superstars from running rampant off back to back sets.

I’m just not sure why you even think that substituting average players for more average players is gonna somehow turn the tables on a team as good as the Roosters anyway?

It’s a cattle problem mate. I don’t hear the experts savaging our bench rotations. Plenty of mention from them regarding how no one in our 17 would make the cut in the Roosters 17 though.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matty Johns said something poignant in the post match

“I’m sick of coaches saying, well he’s got player X and I’ve only got this player. Well then make your guy better, coach your team, that’s your job”

At the end of the day, you can expect to lose but when the team is nowhere near fulfilling their potential the buck stops with the coach.
I also think the big issue under pays tenure they seem to play footy when there is no consequences . Each year he has been coach they make a run of wins AFTER the season is over .

last night once it was GAME OVER you actually Saw some nice attacking raids. Chalk it up to Foran but the issue seems to be follow pay game plan , get hammered. Once season or game is over then able to attack freely

Reaction score
i agree with this, at least three keys and role players come to life, without the keys the role players are just pushing it uphill

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i said it last night
our prime front rower is a fucking cat. 17yr old Klemmer would rip Napa in half at the moment
Napa should stick to his BMX riding, and rolling kids at the local skate park