News Inside the round-the-clock recovery that has Addo-Carr on brink of Blues history

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Inside the round-the-clock recovery that has Addo-Carr on brink of Blues history
Dan Walsh

ByDan Walsh
May 30, 2023 — 5.00am
Save

Josh Addo-Carr is one four-pointer away from equalling the Blues all-time try-scoring record thanks to a six-month booze ban and six weeks of falling asleep with ice packs on his ankle.

Addo-Carr has trained outside Tom Trbojevic on NSW’s right wing without issue all week after cutting a projected two-month recovery time from ankle surgery almost in half.

After proving his fitness in his Bulldogs comeback just hours before Brad Fittler picked his Origin I side, Addo-Carr returns to the Blues fold with 10 tries from just 13 Origin appearances, one short of the all-time NSW record held by goal-kicking great Michael O’Connor (11 tries in 19 games) and former Eel Jarryd Hayne (11 tries from 23 games).

Addo-Carr’s impressive bounce back from being axed by Brad Fittler last year earned him a Kangaroos call-up for the 2022 World Cup, where he scored a tournament-high 12 tries from five games to cement his claims as the world’s best winger.

His return home and a truncated Bulldogs pre-season prompted Addo-Carr to give up alcohol, and a cherished Indigenous All Stars jersey as well, to give his best for both club and state.

“I’ve fallen asleep with the ice pack on and just done everything possible,” Addo-Carr said of his recovery from an eye-watering Good Friday injury suffered against South Sydney.

“I didn’t drink or anything and I just recovered the best I could. I’ve been off the booze since the World Cup started believe it or not.
“I just made a sacrifice before the season started that I was gonna stay off the booze. It takes a toll on you, it just fatigues you [if you are] on the booze all the time and the way we train and prepare these days, it’s just too hard.”

Addo-Carr clarified that he plans to celebrate with an obligatory Tooheys New tin if the Blues get up in Adelaide on Wednesday night, and that he joined teammates with a quiet beer during last week’s bonding session.

It’s “when you’re out to 5am and charging” that Addo-Carr has given up after watching the similarly successful booze-ban approaches taken by Maroons rival Cameron Munster and Blues teammate Api Koroisau last year.

Addo-Carr refused to bite on suggestions Fittler had erred in leaving him out of what proved to be a 2022 losing series. The Blues coach had to track down his new phone number from Bulldogs boss Phil Gould last week, with Addo-Carr’s relentless competitiveness helping him recover in time for Origin when most assumed he was no chance for game one.

“I don’t want to make it about myself to be honest with you, it just wasn’t my time last year,” Addo-Carr said, assuring reporters he can still hit top-speed come Wednesday night.

“Whatever is best for the team, that’s the way I handled it. Everyone was saying, ‘Oh, this fella got back in four weeks or five weeks’ or whatever and in the back of my head I just wanted to beat whoever had this injury before.

“That’s the way I handled it and did everything possible, iced the f–k out of it, rested and didn’t drink. I’m just grateful and so excited to get the opportunity to put the jersey on because it means so much to myself and everyone in New South Wales.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Big what if...

Dumb Fittler didn't pick the 3rd highest ever try scorer ever for NSW last year....3rd highest according to article.

Fox missed 3 games bc of Fizzler....how many more could he have bagged towards his tallying as Highest SOO NSW Tryscorer if picked last year...if not for Fool Freddy.

He can have 3 this game (but only if Qld score 1 more lol)

Last edited:

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Big what if...

Dumb Fittler didn't pick the 3rd highest ever try scorer ever for NSW last year....according to article.

Fox missed 3 games bc of Fizzler....how many more could he have bagged towards his tallying as Highest SOO NSW Tryscorer if picked last year...if not for Fool Freddy.

He can have 3 this game (but only if Qld score 1 more lol)
But Fittler did lots of other amazing coaching stuff like getting the team to walk barefoot on Coogee Oval to reconnect with the earth and had them do yoga and practice mindfulness.

Revolutionary stuff and Fittler coached his team all the way to a series loss.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right wing ffs Fitler is a fraud
He has played most of his Rep football on the right. He can play both sides.

Kiraz can play left also. If they want Alomoti playing next to the Fox I think this is what CC should have done this year also. Alomoti naturally would be much better on the right.

It looks like Alomoti will be be elsewhere next season so no point in changing things now.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Inside the round-the-clock recovery that has Addo-Carr on brink of Blues history
Dan Walsh

ByDan Walsh
May 30, 2023 — 5.00am
Save

Josh Addo-Carr is one four-pointer away from equalling the Blues all-time try-scoring record thanks to a six-month booze ban and six weeks of falling asleep with ice packs on his ankle.

Addo-Carr has trained outside Tom Trbojevic on NSW’s right wing without issue all week after cutting a projected two-month recovery time from ankle surgery almost in half.

After proving his fitness in his Bulldogs comeback just hours before Brad Fittler picked his Origin I side, Addo-Carr returns to the Blues fold with 10 tries from just 13 Origin appearances, one short of the all-time NSW record held by goal-kicking great Michael O’Connor (11 tries in 19 games) and former Eel Jarryd Hayne (11 tries from 23 games).

Addo-Carr’s impressive bounce back from being axed by Brad Fittler last year earned him a Kangaroos call-up for the 2022 World Cup, where he scored a tournament-high 12 tries from five games to cement his claims as the world’s best winger.

His return home and a truncated Bulldogs pre-season prompted Addo-Carr to give up alcohol, and a cherished Indigenous All Stars jersey as well, to give his best for both club and state.

“I’ve fallen asleep with the ice pack on and just done everything possible,” Addo-Carr said of his recovery from an eye-watering Good Friday injury suffered against South Sydney.

“I didn’t drink or anything and I just recovered the best I could. I’ve been off the booze since the World Cup started believe it or not.
“I just made a sacrifice before the season started that I was gonna stay off the booze. It takes a toll on you, it just fatigues you [if you are] on the booze all the time and the way we train and prepare these days, it’s just too hard.”

Addo-Carr clarified that he plans to celebrate with an obligatory Tooheys New tin if the Blues get up in Adelaide on Wednesday night, and that he joined teammates with a quiet beer during last week’s bonding session.

It’s “when you’re out to 5am and charging” that Addo-Carr has given up after watching the similarly successful booze-ban approaches taken by Maroons rival Cameron Munster and Blues teammate Api Koroisau last year.

Addo-Carr refused to bite on suggestions Fittler had erred in leaving him out of what proved to be a 2022 losing series. The Blues coach had to track down his new phone number from Bulldogs boss Phil Gould last week, with Addo-Carr’s relentless competitiveness helping him recover in time for Origin when most assumed he was no chance for game one.

“I don’t want to make it about myself to be honest with you, it just wasn’t my time last year,” Addo-Carr said, assuring reporters he can still hit top-speed come Wednesday night.

“Whatever is best for the team, that’s the way I handled it. Everyone was saying, ‘Oh, this fella got back in four weeks or five weeks’ or whatever and in the back of my head I just wanted to beat whoever had this injury before.

“That’s the way I handled it and did everything possible, iced the f–k out of it, rested and didn’t drink. I’m just grateful and so excited to get the opportunity to put the jersey on because it means so much to myself and everyone in New South Wales.”
Another record coming up for the Fox

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another record coming up for the Fox
Yeh indeed. And ..,,..Lol Fittler had to contact Gus to get hold of JAC’s new mobile number. Nice touch. Making Freddie work for it
Who is “on the outer” now Freddie………

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
To'o plays right wing for Panthers & JAC plays left wing for Bulldogs. Fittler goes fuck that, put them both on the opposite wing.

Once Latrell was out he should've had a JAC-Burton combo on the left.
Now they have the critta to’o combo. Which both were left side players a year or 2 ago.
I don’t mind fox outside turbo that’s a dangerous combo right there

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Now they have the critta to’o combo. Which both were left side players a year or 2 ago.
I don’t mind fox outside turbo that’s a dangerous combo right there
Panthers won the comp with a Luai-Burton-To'o combo on the left & with a Cleary-Crichton-To'o combo on the right. Fittler should've picked 1 of those 2 combos.