News Inside the phone call that eased Josh Addo-Carr mind

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Superstar winger Josh Addo-Carr has recieved a reassuring phone call but he isn’t quite packing his bags for the World Cup duties in England just yet.

It took one phone call to remove the nagging doubts from Josh Addo-Carr’s mind. Having missed out of State of Origin selection this year, Addo-Carr feared his World Cup dreams may be over.

Then he received a phone call from Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga and hope was renewed. Addo-Carr was back in the representative picture and big performance for the Prime Minister’s XIII against Papua New Guinea at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday should make his selection for the Kangaroos a mere formality.

“There is always thoughts in the back of your head,” Addo-Carr said.

“Not playing Origin and all that stuff, you have a lot of thoughts going through your head. After (talking to) Mal, I focused more on what I had to do for the Bulldogs.

“I was so excited that Mal gave me a call. At the same time he was just seeing how I was going and all that kind of stuff, which meant a lot.

“I am super proud to be part of this team at the moment and hopefully get the call up for the World Cup.”

Addo-Carr should start packing. Wing has become a problem position for Meninga with Brian To’o and Joseph Suaalii among those to pledge their allegiance to Samoa, and Daniel Tupou opting for Tonga.

Their unavailability means Addo-Carr will be front and centre when Meninga and the selectors sit down to pick their side for the tournament.

He probably would have been anyway given Meninga puts a high price on loyalty and Addo-Carr is an incumbent, albeit having played the last of his two Tests three years ago.

Asked about whether he was upset with NSW wingers To’o and Tupou turning their back on Australia given they cost him a spot with the Blues, Addo-Carr said: “Not at all, not all bro. It just wasn’t my time to put the Sky Blue Jersey on this year.

“It is what it is. I had to move on from that and focus on what I had to do for the Bulldogs. That was my mindset at the time.”

His priority now is to show Meninga he deserves to tour England.

“I am the first person there and the last one to leave,” he said.

“That’s it. I haven‘t been over to England too. So I have always wanted to be part of a World Cup — that has always been a goal.

“I have no idea yet bro [if I am in the team]. See what happens bro, see what happens. I think it is the pinnacle.

“It is awesome putting the sky blue jersey on but playing for Australia and representing your country. I don’t think you get any higher than that.

“You get to play with the best players in the world and play against the best players in the world.”

Canterbury Bulldogs Supporters join the group for all the latest Bulldogs updates as it happens

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Fittler playing favourites.....
Uncle Nick favours. Guarantee selection for nsw part of his contract. More money that's not included in the cap for the roosters.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure, didn't he think Cherry is better than Cleary?
Last time that was due to loyalty, surely he wouldn't make that choice this time especially as DCE didn't feature in the finals. Anyway Andrew John's the moron has said the same thing for this year's World Cup.