Injuries in 2020

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Is it just me or is there a lot more injuries this year than ever before?

And is it because of the break due to covid, or is it due to the new 6 again rule making the game faster? Or is it just bad luck?

Looking at the NRL injury ward, I've never seen anything like it before.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it’s because when a players is out to a significant injury in 2020, the impact is bigger than any other year. Media noise is louder

Last edited:

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bodies are so different now.

Players are so much bigger now and there bodies have no adjusted to the extra weight.

Pectoral injuries didn’t seem to exist 10 years ago.

If someone can invent some kind of knee brace that prevents ACL injuries they will make a ton of money...

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I also think overuse of grounds has to be an issue. Fair enough playing 2-3 games on a ground (the old days of flegg, reserves and nrl). But there was a stat somewhere Bankwest had 22 games in about 4-5 weeks. Insane.

As good as the ground technology is, I still think the grass needs a few days to recover. I would blame some of the lower body injuries to over used fields. And like mentioned above pectoral has always been from overtraining/too much bulk.

Then injuries like Hoppa is just unfortunate. And Elliot was carrying that injury into the season.

Malla

Reaction score
Its a combination of things as all mentioned above but one thing that surprises me is how hard some teams train, especially in the off season. Surely all the pressure and strain on your muscles and joints isn't good for you long term. It's why so many players burn out by August/September.
Cameron Smith managed to play as long as he did because he avoided off season training for a large part of his career as he was either away on rep tours or just given the couple months off because of how many years he's been around.

You would think teams learn to do this better. Never been a fan of those boot camp style off seasons. Would rather have players focus on skills and footy and maintain a good level of fitness throughout with more focus on rehab and prehab.