Official INGLIS TO PLAY FOR THE MACKSVILLE SEA EAGLES IN 2022

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg Inglis is one of the greatest players of his generation, with over 250 first grade games under his belt, five Grand Final appearances and a premiership in 2014 with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The Macksville native would originally retire in 2019 and go on to deal with personal issues, before making his return earlier this year in Super League with the Warrington Wolves, but after tearing his hamstring during the season he would terminate his playing contract with the Wolves, once again retiring from professional Rugby League.

However, it was confirmed earlier today that Inglis would be making his Rugby League return in 2022 with group two side the Macksville Sea Eagles, who put out a statement via their social media pages.

“The Macksville Sea Eagles are proud to announce the signing of Greg Inglis for the 2022 Group 2 Rugby League Season,” read the statement.

“From 2011 to 2019 he played in the NRL for the South Sydney Rabbitohs, with whom he won a premiership in 2014.

“Last Year Greg played for the Warrington Wolves in the UK for the past season sharing his experience and expertise with the Superleague.
Greg looks forward to continuing his Rugby League career in his hometown of Macksville, he is proud to once again play for the club as his father did back when he was growing up in the Nambucca Valley.

“It means a lot to him and his family to be playing for Macksville once again.

“Along with this announcement, Matt Hyland has also taken on the Captain Coach position for the 2022 season.

“Matt is excited about the season to come and get to play side by side with Greg once again.

“The Club and all its members would like to Welcome Greg home and we are all looking forward to the 2022 Season.”

Inglis signing with the Sea Eagles is a great get for regional Rugby League, as the 34-year-old is yet another former NRL player to end up playing Country Rugby League, and help to grow and keep the game strong in these areas that have developed many a great player for Rugby League.

Good to see my local comp will be strong again just need for my senior club to get back on the park after a couple of years out of the comp .
In the group 2 comp for next year we got a few ex nrl players running around/ coaching next year

Brandon costin coaching coffs harbour
Sam Burgess coaching orara Valley
Greg Inglis playing for Macksville
Clint Greenshields captain coaching Sawtell

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how did he go in Super League? didnt see any highlights....

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's always good to see NRL players go back to play and/or coach with the bush footy teams that they played for as youngsters. It's what helps inspire the next generation of players to come through.
Hopefully the Don comes back for the Ghosts.. about the only one that could tackle Inglis
Danny wicks did his bit after his NRL/jail stint ended… won the comp pretty easy with him and a few mates

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm really glad that South's were able to medically retire this guy. He's clearly been incapable of playing sports since that exact moment. I can't believe how some people think South's were just offloading an increasingly out of form injury prone player. Those bloody conspiracy theories about them getting a player with ongoing injury issues and a huge wage off the books so they could splash out on other big names are ridiculous. Clearly he's not been capable of handling the rigours of league ever since.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Macksville, Queensland?

Sorry, couldn't resist :grinning:
I'll go one better......
Macksville is a small town on the Nambucca River in the Nambucca Valley, New South Wales, Australia. It is halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, ...

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Feel sorry for some of the defenders when the big koont is at full tilt :laughing:
Bush footy-hopefully it's still like the good old days and someone places a bounty on the ***** head. A stiff arm across the nose will slow the wife beater down a bit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand that tonnes of people still hate Inglis and we all know his medical retirement was a massive scam.. But he was a superstar who made a tonne of money during his career that doesn't need to do this. Most players wouldn't. So credit to him for playing for Macksville which would be huge for all of those players in that comp that get to say they played with or against Inglis.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's always good to see NRL players go back to play and/or coach with the bush footy teams that they played for as youngsters. It's what helps inspire the next generation of players to come through.
10% agree, it’s what always used to happen & kept bush footy strong.
Now Macksville….I take it is somewhere north of Brisbane?!?!:tearsofjoy: