India on brink

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sri Lanka has defeated India in its Group B clash by 69 runs, with India's hopes of progressing to the Super Eight series now depending on Bermuda to defeat Bangladesh.

India was bowled out by the Sri Lankans for 185 in the 44th over, with Rahul Dravid (60) and Virender Sehwag (48) top scoring, while Muttiah Muralitharan took 3-41 from his 10 overs including Sehwag's wicket.

From the outset, India always seemed to be struggling against Sri Lanka's attack, with Robin Uthappa (18) caught and bowled by Chaminda Vaas with the score on 25 before Sourav Ganguly (7) was caught by Muralitharan off Vaas's bowling, with Sachin Tendulkar (0) then being clean bowled by Dilhara Fernando with the score at 44.

India recovered slightly, yet when Muralitharan steadied his nerves to catch a lofted shot from Dravid in the outfield, the result seemed inevitable.

Earlier in the day, Upul Tharanga (64) and Chamara Silva (59) top-scored as Sri Lanka recovered to total 6-254.

A fifth-wicket stand of 80 runs from 83 balls between Silva and Tillakaratne Dilshan (38) enabled the 1996 champions to hit back after struggling to 4-133 in the 33rd over.

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a shame to lose such a quality team before the super 8's. I like the bangers they play some entertaining cricket but India would have given the cup a real shake. They are gone Bermuda will not beat Bangladesh

Tarsh

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To be honest, i really do not like India. Yes they have some very talented players but they would have to be my least favourite team

Status
Not open for further replies.