Immortal Andrew Johns has backed the Central Coast Bears bid as a ‘no-brainer’

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Immortal Andrew Johns has backed the Central Coast Bears bid as a ‘no-brainer’

Logo of proposed Central Coast Bears NRL sideSource: Supplied
Rugby league Immortal Andrew Johns has backed the NRL to revive the Central Coast Bears while reaffirming his belief there are too many Sydney teams in the competition.

Billionaire businessman John Singleton spearheaded a bid for the Bears to become an NRL franchise in Gosford back in 2007, but it was eventually overlooked by the NRL who breathed life into the Titans instead.

Earlier this week Singleton told The Daily Telegraph an NRL team in Gosford would ‘work tomorrow’, but fans have been begging for a team for so long it seems hopeless now.

Lodge: 'I don't like McGuire'

However, with the Titans now struggling to maintain their foothold as the third Queensland team, Johns believes it’s time the NRL look to use the fertile rugby league area between Manly and Newcastle.

“I think it’s a must,” Johns told Wide World of Sports’ Immortal Behaviour.

“We keep talking about Perth, but it’s so far away I imagine the costs would be astronomical getting everyone over there and back.

“At the Central Coast they have a stadium up there and they have a huge junior base. There are so many players play up there, so you can get the best kids aspiring to play for the Central Coast.

“I understand they also had a coach in line [in 2007]. I think they had $50m in the bank. So for me it’s a no-brainer.

“Done right with the right people it could be successful.”

Singleton claims the Bears had a $50 million bank guarantee, Central Coast Stadium, as well as Warren Ryan as coaching director and David Fairleigh lined up to coach in 2007.

Johns reiterated his belied that there was a saturation of Sydney teams in the NRL but maintained the Central Coast as a region is a ‘must’.

“Once again there are too many teams in Sydney but how do we rationalise that and get it down to say six teams in Sydney? I’m not sure but I think they need a team definitely,” he said of the Central Coast.

The topic has again come up for discussion with the Rabbitohs and Storm due to play in Gosford on Sunday in what should be a sell out game.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So Johns also wants the NRL to cut 3 Sydney teams......who would you put on the chopping block?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So Johns also wants the NRL to cut 3 Sydney teams......who would you put on the chopping block?
Sharks feck em off
Never been financially stable, and 3ven after development money their hardly any better off

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lack of talent out their at the moment with another team is the worry for me

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
0. Cut the Titans. Bring in Bear, Perth, and 2nd Brisbane team.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cut 3 Sydney teams to creat one only half an hour from his old joint. That guy runs his mouth too often.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So Johns is still on the drugs.

Never going to happen.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bring in Perth, Central Coast, a 2nd Brisbane team and a 2nd Kiwi team. Have a 20 team comp and don't help any team that gets in financial trouble. If they die they die.

Malla

Reaction score
What a shit ****.

The crowd on the weekend was big because this is literally the only game they play up there. Central Coast is a stone throw away from Newcastle and probably an hour down the road from Manly... then you'd have 3 teams off the F3. Stupid idea Andrew.

If there's a Syd team that needs to go its Souths but that won't happen. What should happen is Dragons should drop St George and just be labelled Illawarra then they'll be classed as outside Syd.

But in all honesty, who cares if there is a log jam of teams in Syd. I don't get the obsession with expansion to other area's of the country. Sydney and QLD is RL heartland. If Storm don't cheat the cap they probably end up in the same position as Titans are atm too.