Images/Photos

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sigourney Weaver doesnt like this train
View attachment 38458
S1 of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Wheel arrangement 6-4-4-6, with seven foot driving wheels. It was an attempt to reduce the weight of rotating parts on a standard eight coupled locomotive by having two sets of four coupled wheels and two separate sets of cylinders. It was longer than a Big Boy, but was not articulated. The rigid frame made it hard to negotiate tight curves in rail yards. It couldn't access their Chicago terminal for that reason.

It was super fast, but slippery. Longer that a Big Boy. It was a one off, but paved the way for Pennsy's legendary T1 (below).
This photo is when it was on display at the World's Fair, with the wheels slowly rotating on rollers.

PRR T1.jpg

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
High speed German Baltic type. Possibly the fastest recorded speed for a steam loco, but the British refused to accept the data. They wanted to ensure their "Mallard" kept the record.

At least one survived the war. I've seen a photo where the US troops repainted it into the Atlantic Coast Line livery.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 38383
Haven’t hung it up yet but will get around to
It. It’s on really quality thick cardboard and signed and numbered from a local guy here in Marrickville.
Not bad. He's got the wheel arrangement wrong for 5917 - it's a Mikado 2-8-2, not a Berkshire 2-8-4
I was allowed to drive the Timbertown train when we visited there over 30 years ago.
Had many a cab ride in 3801.
Actually, been up front in most of these.
The 46 was a bit spartan, but fun to ride in.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The train has a string of "Bradfield" cars behind it. They were electric train driving cars ready prior to electrification, and put into service as steam suburban carriages, without pantographs and motors, until the wires were put up.
Photo was taken from the old footbridge. The Lawson Theatre can be seen in the background (now occupied by the TNT towers).

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My MIL was 3 mins late for this train because her brother took her school bag off her and running around with it.

True story.
I caught the 4.45 from Richmond back then and the train in the collapse would pass us after Blacktown so we were on the line behind it i remember them saying buses would replace the train this was after we sat for about 2 hours i went home and took a sickie!

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Lawson and Eveleigh Street, Redfern - early 90’s
31E6F9D6-E25E-4A42-86D3-68B01DD525C3.jpeg

Block - Wasn’t a place to go if you were not Koorie or know the community - I did anyway of course as young teenager and yeah got robbed once or twice ha ha I did like my adventures but I never learn..

EAC5F2DC-1F6B-4829-9662-0D160931E9AB.jpeg

It is gentrified now but was pretty scary back then I have a few other crazy stories I probably won’t tell on a public forum but the good old block..

B1080C84-11CC-4199-858E-5D38E5C62A8B.jpeg
24B83B1B-1E93-4569-A75F-FB7DE9D33FB4.jpeg

What do I say about this one speed sign says 25km don’t go 25 but good luck if you hit someone

732F1EBF-DC05-420D-8AA8-A263BDEAFFD7.jpeg

A lot of crime and sadness but a lot of good as well in this old Sydney community.

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 38392

So this one is very different but cool so this is a project I’ll claim I had a hand in but very minimal
Of Sydney graffiti writers throw ups if you know what that means (like I said maybe a bit random this one) anyway compiled a poster on again very fine cardboard numbered and signed by a guy tgat now lives in London who is an ex graffiti writer from Sydney but a now a very well respected urban designer. Very fun project and definitely a collectors piece in the Sydney graff scene. My Mrs even let me frame and Hang it up. My sister says it gay and they all look the same.
If it's not a "Banksy" it's just childish faggotry and wanky vandalism and no better than a dog pissing on a wall to let other dogs he was around.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 37979View attachment 37980View attachment 37981View attachment 37982View attachment 37983View attachment 37984
Granville Train Disaster, Tuesday 18th January 1977. Today is the 45th Anniversary. I just wanted to mark the occasion, and acknowledge the victims, their families, the rescuers, and everyone else involved or touched by this tragedy.
Very sobering. My brother usually caught that train but this particular day he was running late so missed it. The rest of the family were on holiday in Qld and we were petrified when we heard of the accident not knowing of course brother missed the train. Thankfully he had the thought to telephone us mid afternoon by landline as mobiles weren't a thing. Was scary.

A couple of his workmates were on the train but thankfully not in the involved carriages, but still would have been devastating and something that you would carry with you for life. I remember watching the mini series Day of the Roses where they showed the passenger who was still alive but pinned and he was rescued but died of crush syndrome..

The bravery of those who responded and the onlookers who helped out was amazing..

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Very sobering. My brother usually caught that train but this particular day he was running late so missed it. The rest of the family were on holiday in Qld and we were petrified when we heard of the accident not knowing of course brother missed the train. Thankfully he had the thought to telephone us mid afternoon by landline as mobiles weren't a thing. Was scary.

A couple of his workmates were on the train but thankfully not in the involved carriages, but still would have been devastating and something that you would carry with you for life. I remember watching the mini series Day of the Roses where they showed the passenger who was still alive but pinned and he was rescued but died of crush syndrome..

The bravery of those who responded and the onlookers who helped out was amazing..
The History Channel played the documentary, The Train, on the day of the anniversary. I watched it again. I know a few of the people involved in the rescue, that appear in the doco, and they are still emotionally damaged. I have the Day of the Roses mini series on DVD, but it's a good few years since I watched it. I should make the time some day.