News 'I'm the Godfather!': Rajab hopes to make the Bulldogs an offer they can't refuse after breakout World Cup campaign

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Mike Meehall Wood / Editor
Roar League
17 hours ago

You could say that he lacked experience. You could say that he lacked size. But you could never accuse young Bulldogs and Lebanon star Khaled Rajab of lacking confidence.

The diminutive, bearded, ponytailed playmaker was one of the breakout stars of the Rugby League World Cup with Lebanon and now only has eyes on an NRL debut with the Canterbury Bulldogs, telling The Roar that making the top grade is his number one priority in 2023.

“100% it’s the goal to make the NRL,” said the teenage half, who shot to prominence after debuting against Ireland in the Cedars’ second game.

“I’ve had my goals for 2022 and one of my goals for 2023 is to debut, and if I can get that I’ll be extremely grateful. Even if I just play consistently in NSW Cup, that’ll be very good for me.

“I have to speak to (Cameron) Ciraldo and Gus (Gould) and see what the future holds in store for me, but I’ve got a preseason with the Bulldogs and we’ll see how it goes.

“Whatever they choose, I’ll have full faith in them. I hope they have faith in me too”

Rajab is now preparing for pre-season training with the Bulldogs, his first with the top squad after shooting through the junior ranks. He is a Bulldogs tragic, having attended his first game at Belmore aged just two and joined the junior system at four.

The playmaker was their SG Ball Player of the Year in 2021, began 2022 in Jersey Flegg and ended it in the NSW Cup Grand Final – before getting a late call to Lebanon squad for the World Cup, where he immediately caught the eye.

The next goal is the NRL. There, Rajab is looking to emulate his Lebanon and Bulldogs teammate Jacob Kiraz, who was one of the rookies of 2022.

Kiraz became known as “Lebanese King” by Doggies fans, and Rajab – who had been nicknamed ‘DJ’ prior to the tournament – said that he picked up another moniker on tour, such was his confidence.

“I’m the Godfather!” he joked. “I’ve got the strongest hair in the game!

“I’m just grateful that people are tuned into me, I’m being seen and it makes me proud that I have my name out there.

“I just want to be a role model for young Lebanese kids. Their parents think you can’t make it, and I want to show the kids that if you put the work in you get the results.

I’m grateful to all the support systems around me. I know some of the Lebo boys from my club as well. I had to put hard work in during Covid, I knew that if you put the hard work in you get the results at the back end.

“I’m just grateful that people are tuned into me, I’m being seen and it makes me proud that I have my name out there.”

From the moment he touched down in Manchester, he looked a star: Rajab impressed in the trial win over Wales, sat out a defeat to the Kiwis and then exploded into the tournament against Ireland, Jamaica and eventually, the Kangaroos.

It was no wonder that coach Michael Cheika – and assistant Matt King and Robbie Farah – immediately identified the raw, eyes-up talent that Rajab has.

“When they first told me I was going to play, I was quite shocked,” he said. “I came here to learn off Mitch Moses and Adam Doueihi, so when they told me I was playing I just wanted to prove to everyone that I belong here. Hopefully I did that.

“I’ve learned so much off Mitch and Adam, especially as a half. Things like game management, good ends of sets and that kind of thing. It’s been so good.

“When I was young, I was always playing what I saw. Young Lebanese kids, all we do is play backyard footy. When you put that into the game now – obviously we have a structure but when I see something I’m going to take it.

“Having someone like Cheika, I’m so grateful and humbled. When he’s got faith in me, it gives me so much confidence to play. So much confidence.

“He’s been unbelievable. We’ve got Kingy pulling the strings behind the scenes and Cheika gets up mentally ready. I’ve never been so mentally prepared for a game before like we were for these World Cup games. He makes you believe you’re better than you are.

That’s what a good head coach needs and he’s got that.”D9154C3A-1A1E-4464-9A7C-A153138C9C9D.jpeg

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You would have to assume that if we aren't signing Moses for 2024, that Rajab is a great chance for the job. The world cup gave him exposure, now it's up to him to train hard, learn and play well in reggies and when the opportunity presents itself in the top grade, to seize it . . . Best of luck young fella

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
By Mike Meehall Wood / Editor
Roar League
17 hours ago

You could say that he lacked experience. You could say that he lacked size. But you could never accuse young Bulldogs and Lebanon star Khaled Rajab of lacking confidence.

The diminutive, bearded, ponytailed playmaker was one of the breakout stars of the Rugby League World Cup with Lebanon and now only has eyes on an NRL debut with the Canterbury Bulldogs, telling The Roar that making the top grade is his number one priority in 2023.

“100% it’s the goal to make the NRL,” said the teenage half, who shot to prominence after debuting against Ireland in the Cedars’ second game.

“I’ve had my goals for 2022 and one of my goals for 2023 is to debut, and if I can get that I’ll be extremely grateful. Even if I just play consistently in NSW Cup, that’ll be very good for me.

“I have to speak to (Cameron) Ciraldo and Gus (Gould) and see what the future holds in store for me, but I’ve got a preseason with the Bulldogs and we’ll see how it goes.

“Whatever they choose, I’ll have full faith in them. I hope they have faith in me too”

Rajab is now preparing for pre-season training with the Bulldogs, his first with the top squad after shooting through the junior ranks. He is a Bulldogs tragic, having attended his first game at Belmore aged just two and joined the junior system at four.

The playmaker was their SG Ball Player of the Year in 2021, began 2022 in Jersey Flegg and ended it in the NSW Cup Grand Final – before getting a late call to Lebanon squad for the World Cup, where he immediately caught the eye.

The next goal is the NRL. There, Rajab is looking to emulate his Lebanon and Bulldogs teammate Jacob Kiraz, who was one of the rookies of 2022.

Kiraz became known as “Lebanese King” by Doggies fans, and Rajab – who had been nicknamed ‘DJ’ prior to the tournament – said that he picked up another moniker on tour, such was his confidence.

“I’m the Godfather!” he joked. “I’ve got the strongest hair in the game!

“I’m just grateful that people are tuned into me, I’m being seen and it makes me proud that I have my name out there.

“I just want to be a role model for young Lebanese kids. Their parents think you can’t make it, and I want to show the kids that if you put the work in you get the results.

I’m grateful to all the support systems around me. I know some of the Lebo boys from my club as well. I had to put hard work in during Covid, I knew that if you put the hard work in you get the results at the back end.

“I’m just grateful that people are tuned into me, I’m being seen and it makes me proud that I have my name out there.”

From the moment he touched down in Manchester, he looked a star: Rajab impressed in the trial win over Wales, sat out a defeat to the Kiwis and then exploded into the tournament against Ireland, Jamaica and eventually, the Kangaroos.

It was no wonder that coach Michael Cheika – and assistant Matt King and Robbie Farah – immediately identified the raw, eyes-up talent that Rajab has.

“When they first told me I was going to play, I was quite shocked,” he said. “I came here to learn off Mitch Moses and Adam Doueihi, so when they told me I was playing I just wanted to prove to everyone that I belong here. Hopefully I did that.

“I’ve learned so much off Mitch and Adam, especially as a half. Things like game management, good ends of sets and that kind of thing. It’s been so good.

“When I was young, I was always playing what I saw. Young Lebanese kids, all we do is play backyard footy. When you put that into the game now – obviously we have a structure but when I see something I’m going to take it.

“Having someone like Cheika, I’m so grateful and humbled. When he’s got faith in me, it gives me so much confidence to play. So much confidence.

“He’s been unbelievable. We’ve got Kingy pulling the strings behind the scenes and Cheika gets up mentally ready. I’ve never been so mentally prepared for a game before like we were for these World Cup games. He makes you believe you’re better than you are.

That’s what a good head coach needs and he’s got that.”View attachment 61720
Very best of luck to him. Sounds like he was very impressed with Cheika.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He isn’t it top 30,but can he still play first grade next year?
I think his time is atleast 2 years away

chemdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He isn’t it top 30,but can he still play first grade next year?
I think his time is atleast 2 years away
he can play after round 12 I think, not entirely sure what round it is when non top 30 players can play in first grade

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You would have to assume that if we aren't signing Moses for 2024, that Rajab is a great chance for the job. The world cup gave him exposure, now it's up to him to train hard, learn and play well in reggies and when the opportunity presents itself in the top grade, to seize it . . . Best of luck young fella
Gus has already said Rajab will debut next year

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not death riding him. I haven't seen him play. But Wakeham also earned glowing reviews in a world cup campaign. It's a far different standard/level of difficulty to the weekly rigours of the NRL.

I wish him well, but I also hope the fans on here temper their expectations. I've seen a few decent players cop a tonne of criticism from fans here because they thought they'd become superstars.

I mean even Burton still has a lot of critics for a guy who's won a premiership (playing out of position) & played origin within a year of his debut. Rajab may not meet the lofty expectations.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seems to be level headed and willing to improve himself without been too complacent in his wording in that interview.
Previous years weve bled juniors out of necessity because we were so depleted of quality first grade players and depth.
Its great to see the club is now finally in a position to be able to manage the cap, buy some first gradres, buy some youngsters and develope juniors all in good time. Im under no illusion that they will all come good but atleast we will get to the stage in a couple of years where players will have to earn their first grade jersey because we will have depth.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not death riding him. I haven't seen him play. But Wakeham also earned glowing reviews in a world cup campaign. It's a far different standard/level of difficulty to the weekly rigours of the NRL.

I wish him well, but I also hope the fans on here temper their expectations. I've seen a few decent players cop a tonne of criticism from fans here because they thought they'd become superstars.

I mean even Burton still has a lot of critics for a guy who's won a premiership (playing out of position) & played origin within a year of his debut. Rajab may not meet the lofty expectations.
Brad deitz highlights reel better than Rajabs and deitz got no where
Yes I may be attacked for this post but a lot of middle easterners don’t get far at the bulldogs