News 'I'm my harshest critic': 2019 a career-defining year for Foran

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A defiant Kieran Foran hopes the worst of his injury struggles are finally behind him as he prepares for what he describes as a career-defining season at the Bulldogs.

Foran's form has stalled since he left Manly in 2015 due to a series of injuries and off-field issues, but he remains confident his best years remain ahead of him.

He managed 12 games for the Bulldogs last season until a toe injury that required surgery ruled him out for the rest of the season.

"You arrive at a new club with every intention of playing the best footy, but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way for various reasons," Foran said at a team media session at Belmore Sports Ground.

"It's frustrating. I'm my harshest critic and I know when I'm not performing to my ability and doing what I need to do for the side. I wasn't doing that last season.

"Whether my body wasn't up to scratch physically or whether I just wasn't able to find that momentum to play that good footy I just wasn't doing it.

"I haven't been able to train a lot the last few years. My body just hasn't allowed me to. That's probably caused me to physically not be ready when I’m out on the field.

"I'm doing everything I can in my power to get back and play the best footy I'm able to play. I know I've got it in me and I’m capable of doing it. It's just a matter of getting there."

Once one of the premier halves in the game, Foran has managed to complete his first pre-season in four years – albeit with a minor tweak of the hamstring last week – and should be fit for the trials.

"I cleaned up the injuries that needed to be cleaned up. I've been able to get through all the sessions pretty much. I'm hopeful that will leave me in good stead," he said.

"It presents you with an opportunity, doesn't it? When those tough times happen you have to find a way to pick yourself up and work out what you've got to do to get better."

The Bulldogs have lost several experienced big names over the past 12 months due to salary cap pressures, coinciding with Des Hasler's exit and Dean Pay's arrival as coach.

Foran believes his settled life off the paddock has him in better shape to excel in his second season at Belmore and lead a promising batch of youth coming through the system. The former Kiwi international married his wife Karina in October.

"Yeah, it plays a massive role," he said.

"If your life away from your work environment is settled, you come to work every day aiming to apply yourself to the best of your ability and you can fully focus on what you need to get done.

"That's been the pleasing thing the past few months is I've been able to do that. Life's great away from footy now. Times are good and hopefully that makes it easier for me in the year.

"It's everything… it's a big year for me, there's no escaping that. I've had a challenging last three years on and off the field. This is the first year now in a few years that I've been able to have a full pre-season and I'm settled away from the field."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/07/im-my-harshest-critic-foran-labels-2019-as-career-defining-year/

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*countdown for the naysayers to arrive with stereotypical comments*

Foran knows what he needs to do, and with Cogger, Lewis, and others coming through there is more pressure on him to perform.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
*countdown for the naysayers to arrive with stereotypical comments*

Foran knows what he needs to do, and with Cogger, Lewis, and others coming through there is more pressure on him to perform.
I don’t think they’re “naysayers” just passionate about our club and the players that pull on our jersey.

It’s a fact, Foran hasn’t performed in years and as a marquee signing by our previous admin, we judge him accordingly!

I’m sure we all hope to be proved wrong, I’m one of them, but you’d have to think the odds are against him proving us wrong...

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes the key player for us if he clicks we are a different proposition if not we are just average and if him and lewis click wow

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup come on foz ole mate, have a big year and help us rise up through the ranks. Good luck bud.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still have hope .. but .. im probably not being realistic

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I get a feeling he knows how important it is to prove his worth this year. That's at least a good thing. Those hamstrings of his are always a menace though.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is a longer article that appeared in the SMH at the time which didn’t get linked on here as far as I’m aware:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/foran-focused-on-delivering-for-dogs-not-des-20190207-p50w96.html

After looking much better in yesterday’s trial with the 6 on his back, I found these quotes interesting:

‘Foran has been working with Lachie Lewis and new recruit Jack Cogger, with those two to fight it out for the No. 7 jersey - not the No. 6.

“I think 'Deano' [coach Dean Pay] might throw me back into the No. 6 this year, and it will be good,'' Foran said. "I played No. 6 at Manly during those [glory] years. The roles of the No. 6 and No. 7 these days are similar at some clubs but different at others.

"It frees me up if anything. When you're playing closer in to the ruck, your role is slightly different and you need to be able to organise most tackles and direct. For me, you need to look at your strengths as a footballer and what you do well for your side, and I think I know what my best style of footy looks like, and playing that little bit wider will allow me to do that.''’

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well he couldn't go worse than last year so anything is an improvement

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There’s a big difference between the role he was expected to play as chief organiser at 7 last season and what we saw yesterday. He signaled that in these quotes and it proved to be the case.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mostly the 6 & 7 play opposite sides of the field, in our case Foran on the right and Lewis on the left. Only when the ruck is closer to a sideline do they play inside and outside. So I’m not sure it makes as much difference (who wears #6 & who wears #7) as it used to.

The thing with Foran is, as he emphatically demonstrated yesterday, he can really play. With the football in hand he can win us games. Despite what some claim he can also kick when required, especially winning repeat sets.

Staying injury free is the challenge, if he can, helped by our medical staff, then we’ll have a good season.

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I am hoping Foran stays fit because he is a very good player.

I'm also hoping that so he can stick it up his unrelenting critics here on the Kennel.

Last edited: