Ikin: Recruitment fix to make Dogs great again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“PLAYERS make coaches, not the other way around.”
It’s a line Ben Ikin has borrowed from Wayne Bennett and it’s never far from his lips when he talks about how an NRL team can get better.

Currently it’s the Bulldogs whose roster and coach are under the most scrutiny and when it comes to making changes, the NRL 360 host knows where he’d start.

“From what I can see the key players in that side, the nine, six, seven and one, haven’t fully arrived the way Des (Hasler) would have hoped,” Ikin told the Fox Sports Market Watch podcast.

“He’s invested a lot of time and energy in Michael Lichaa, Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and Will Hopoate and for whatever reason I just don’t think they’ve stepped up to the plate the way good halves, good playmakers do.

“ ... Apparently they’ve tried to introduce a new style this year, if that’s the case it hasn’t been fully embraced and they’ve defaulted back to last year’s style and they’re struggling.”

Many Canterbury fans and reportedly some of the club’s most influential powerbrokers, have formed the view that time is up for Hasler.

But rather than punting a two-time premiership coach with a proven track record, Ikin would draw a line under some of his recruitment mistakes and let him start again with a completely redesigned spine.

To get the ball rolling, Ikin would dispense with at least two of the three key position players coming off contract — Reynolds, Hopoate and Lichaa — and make a big splash in the open market.

“I would go and spend my money on James Tedesco and throw a whole heap of cash at a proven nine or six,” Ikin said.

“Kieran Foran’s only on a one year deal at the Warriors, he’s got a close relationship with Des Hasler, I think he’d be enormous.

“If you dragged Tedesco across, you’ve got Foran at six beside Moses Mbye and maybe give Reynolds a crack at nine, potentially that’s your answer.”

After playing a key role in NSW’s drought-breaking Origin series victory in 2014, Reynolds has failed to regularly recapture his best form and his future is up in the air.

If a club is prepared to meet that massive asking price it would almost certainly be the end of the 27-year-old’s time at the Dogs, leaving another hole to plug in the spine.

If not, a move to the No.9 role for either he or Mbye might be the only way to keep the pair at the club together.

“There was talk around last year that Des was considering playing Moses Mbye at dummy half,” Ikin said.

“If he can see Moses has that ability then it’s probably worth a crack, because the current set up isn’t working.”

The ability to get the best out of Mbye and Reynolds would fade into the background if the Bulldogs could lure two superstars of the calibre of Foran and Tedesco.

If that sounds fanciful, the Hasler-Foran link and the current disarray on show at the Wests Tigers could conspire to deliver a miracle.

“The big thing for the Wests Tigers players if they’re looking at the Bulldogs would be their facilities, financial strength and stability versus whatever you want to call the Wests Tigers set up at the moment,” Ikin said.

“I know they’re striving to get better, and hats off to them, but at the moment the joint venture has a less than desirable reputation in the marketplace among players and coaches.

“Aaron Woods, James Tedesco, whoever it was from the Wests Tigers, if they got a tour of the Bulldogs facilities they’d have to look and go ‘wow’, particularly as the Tigers has been their only club.

“They’d be blown away by what’s happening over there at Belmore.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/d7edb681befb780e4b5842622db419ba

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fuck me dead...how many people are going to come out and pretty much say the same thing. This place doesnt need any more stories to rage about, or help being repetitive. The fkn bandwagon is going to need reinforcement.

Im now waiting for the pm to have his say.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We get foran AND Tedesco wed win the title easy next year

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yep .. bang on... it's what I've been saying for a while. It's not just the coach.

1. Tedesco
2. BMoz
3. Lee/Hoppa
4. JMoz
5. Montoya
6. Reynolds
7. Foran
8. Graham
9. Mbye
10. Klemmer
11. RFM
12. Jackson
13. Eastwood

14. Kasiano
15. Elliott
16. Tolman / Fualalo
17. To'omaga

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why does everyone suddenly think we are going to be able to land big names when in the last 5 years we have struggled to buy anyone who isn't out of QLD Cup. We are in a worse position now then we have been for a few years and we couldn't attract players when we were going ok, I don't like our chances of getting them now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Moving Reynolds to 9 shouldn't even be an option. His service is worse than Lichaa's and he's got dodgey shoulders. Sure he can run from dh and will niggle, but there really won't be any improvement with him there. Moses is the better option at 9 if we were to consider moving either of our halves there.

A halfback and fullback should be our top priority. Also play a player much more suited to lock at lock instead of playing 3 slow props. Get a fucking backrower on the left edge instead of a prop. Fix up the fucking bench rotations...my god so much is wrong with us.

Also fuck off that useless Manly scum.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i'd be more comfortable in keeping des and overhauling the roster. Apart from him, bennet and bellamy the other coaching jobs have been a merry go round

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Phil Gould, Laurie Daley, Phil Slothfield, Wayne Bennett, Ben Ikin...

FFS who's next? Scrooge McDuck???

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need to fuck all 3 of Hoppa, Reynolds and Lichaa off. Throw big money at Tedesco and either M. Moses or Foran and look at bringing over another solid backrower / lock, someone like John Asiata.

1. Tedesco
2. B Moz
3. Lee
4. J Moz
5. Montoya
6. Mbye
7. Foran / M. Moses
8. Tolman
9. Woolford
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM / Asiata
13. Graham

14. Asiata / RFM
15. Kasiano
16. Fualalo
17. Eastwood

18. Elliott
19. Tualau / To'omaga

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
100% agree. If we have to let Graham head back to uk, whoever has to go of hoppa lichaa Reynolds and hopefully
Mbye and tolman and Eastwood. Sign Tedesco, Foran and 2 decent forwards with some mongrel, not exactly keen on Woods but if it lifts Klemmer and him to a new level could be master stroke and someone like Ma'u with some
Mongrel in the back row to help Jacko instead of fatwood and foldman

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck me dead...how many people are going to come out and pretty much say the same thing. This place doesnt need any more stories to rage about, or help being repetitive. The fkn bandwagon is going to need reinforcement.

Im now waiting for the pm to have his say.
You are ruining every Single thread with this exact fcking post, you are a hypocrit

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moving Reynolds to 9 shouldn't even be an option. His service is worse than Lichaa's and he's got dodgey shoulders. Sure he can run from dh and will niggle, but there really won't be any improvement with him there. Moses is the better option at 9 if we were to consider moving either of our halves there.

A halfback and fullback should be our top priority. Also play a player much more suited to lock at lock instead of playing 3 slow props. Get a fucking backrower on the left edge instead of a prop. Fix up the fucking bench rotations...my god so much is wrong with us.

Also fuck off that useless Manly scum.
Come on dude you should know how the kennel works. Zero football knowledge but a quarter line break from their boy Reynolds and it's all ok.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You are ruining every Single thread with this exact fcking post, you are a hypocrit

we are the negative supporters apparently, we should remain positive, stay quiet, support our club and is Des we trust.......... fuck that shit....

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks that we should keep Hasler as our coach is a fucking moron

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does everyone suddenly think we are going to be able to land big names when in the last 5 years we have struggled to buy anyone who isn't out of QLD Cup. We are in a worse position now then we have been for a few years and we couldn't attract players when we were going ok, I don't like our chances of getting them now.
I would like to raise a possible point, maybe des' coaching isn't the problem but his faith and expectations for certain players to step up? That would affect recruitment as well, so if he finally pulls the trigger and gets rid of the dead wood holding us back he may push harder to sign players. We also have a new recruitment officer

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to fuck all 3 of Hoppa, Reynolds and Lichaa off. Throw big money at Tedesco and either M. Moses or Foran and look at bringing over another solid backrower / lock, someone like John Asiata.

1. Tedesco
2. B Moz
3. Lee
4. J Moz
5. Montoya
6. Mbye
7. Foran
8. Tolman
9. Woolford
10. Klemmer
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Graham

14. Asiata
15. Kasiano
16. Fualalo
17. Eastwood

18. Elliott
19. Tualau / To'omaga
Good post - Asiata seems to be able to play a running game and can pass the ball - whilst the 1,6,7,9 are obvious weakness - we don't have a running second rower apart from Jackson - I think lack of mobility is our other issue after the spine.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks that we should keep Hasler as our coach is a fucking moron
This is kind of a bullshit statement, everyone has the right to an opinion and everyone sees things differently. This place is turning into a joke because people can't accept that some people don't necessarily think des is as shit as others.

And then when someone raises a point or opinion in support of des they get shat on by the anti-des circle jerk and instead of there being any kind of discussion it's just sarcastic replies and people thinking they know more about football than everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.