If you had the power, what would you change?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If you had the power, what would you change in the game? What would you bring back? What would you keep? No limits, complete power, and no just the NRL, but the general game of rugby league

Representative:
  1. Strictly, have the World every 4 years, to be held during the off-season a month after the NRL Grand Final. It’s to be held the same year as the FIFA World Cup – just to keep it consistent
  2. The World Cup cannot be hosted by the same nation(s) in an 8 year span, meaning if Australia host it one year, they will NOT be able to host it against for at least another 12 years. There are also no loopholes if dual nations that host it
  3. If a player is eligible to play for a nation, they may also choose to nominate a 2nd nation of their eligibility if they are not selected for their preferential nation, and if the are eligible for Australia, they are also eligible for Origin (to avoid the Semi Radradra saga)
  4. State of Origin applies to the state an individual is BORN in
  5. All 3 games of State of Origin are on Wednesday nights, and alternating teams WILL have the 2-1 home ground advantage every year (cut this neutral ground thing, no other states will ever enter SoO)
  6. If an individual is not born in NSW/QLD, then it applies to the state of the team they played their first official game for

Domestic:

1. 26 rounds, each team has 2 buys. Representative weekend can happen during the off-season
  2. Teams heavily affected by Origin are NOT granted byes during Origin, it is luck of the draw (plus this gives their younger players a chance to break through)
  3. 18 Teams – Central Coast/North Sydney Bears (3 games at North Sydney Oval, 9 at Central Coast Stadium), and Ipswich (2nd Brisbane team)
  4. the Bunker is no longer required, every game will have video referees
  5. No Thursday night games anymore (this is not much different to Monday Night Football considering people have work and educational commitments the follow
  6. 1 game on Friday night, 7:45pm kick-off, no more advantage to Brisbane Broncos
  7. 3 Games on Saturday – 3:00pm, 5:30pm, 7:45pm
  8. 4 Games live on Sunday (radio, let’s go around the grounds…) all starting at 4:00pm, and the 5th game starting at 6:00pm
  9. Game kick off times must be punctual
  10. The Grand Final will ALWAYS be played in Sydney
  11. The One Punch, Shoulder Charge and Slap rules go out the window – (i) a person who throws the first punch is the player who will get penalised. The nature and brutality of the punch deem the sanction. (ii) Shoulder Charges are part of the game. (iii) If you slap someone, you will need to wear a pink jersey at the next game.
  12. Players are civilians and are innocent until proven guilty
  13. The services of Todd Greenberg and Peter Beattie are no longer required
  14. Teams are required to play at least 2 games a year in smaller suburban grounds (or country grounds if they wish)
  15. Players who code-hop and use our game for leverage or more money are not eligible to return to Rugby League.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with most of these, but I think 18 teams is too much. Also, keep the game schedule the same as it is now, just move the Thursday night to Sunday 6pm.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is sack Greenberg, and then cancel Peter Beatties Twitter account... OH WAIT.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Shoulder charge re-introduced
Lift the punching ban - too many poofs niggling knowing they won't get decked for being annoying
Ban betting on the game
Clearing out all admin
Contesting the scrum
Ref does not send up try/no try to the bunker

To sum it up, turn it back into a man's sport and not a boy's game it is now

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My priority 1 would be creation of a fair TPA system... it's the biggest issue in our game right now and it is the determining factor of which teams will consistently be at the top, and teams who will be consistently at the bottom.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If only i could....
SCRUMS - Either contest the bloody things the proper way (good old days) or get rid of them. As it stands, it serves no purpose other than to slow the play, kill momentum or wind down the clock. Might as well have a hand over/play the ball or a tap/play the ball.
GOLDEN PT - can't figure out how 2 teams smash each other for 80 mins only to have game decided usually by field goal in extra time at the luck of who gets the ball first from the kick off. Game needs to be decided in 80 mins and 1 pt awarded to each team. This notion of golden point serves no one but the betting agencies.
BUNKER - get rid of it. Ref's to decide try/no try. Captains get 1 challenge per half. Get it right - keep it, wrong - lose it. Love to see ref's become more accountable for their decisions and stuff ups because at the moment they can't make a decision, bunker can't rule on fwd pass and footy mums are making better/faster decisions at park footy level.
ORIGIN - S.O.O is 3 games that fk up the NRL comp for 9 wks. Run it as a separate comp post GF or just get rid of it, Game itself is fast becoming a has been game - and will die an inevitable death if the game was to expand. Think about all the good players who either were not born in NSW/QLD or played their first competition game in said state.
EXPANSION - I know its a "swear word" for some, and i also know that the 2 clowns running the NRL are useless but, we need to have a serious robust discussion around this. Not just lip service and set up a Perth/Adelaide team, but really get down to grass roots stuff including feasibility studies, proper support frameworks etc etc. Hell - maybe another Melb, NZ or Brisb team would be more appropriate then say another Hunter Mariners or Adelaide Rams fiasco.

There is a few more things but my fingers are getting tired and i can only type with 2 fingers........

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing that should be fixed is the reporting on the game, vested interests, prejudices and comments by these so called personalities is what is harming the game.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My priority 1 would be creation of a fair TPA system... it's the biggest issue in our game right now and it is the determining factor of which teams will consistently be at the top, and teams who will be consistently at the bottom.
Only TPA that should be applicable to the cap are the 'this jersey is sponsored by company x' and each jersey should be capped at a specific amount of cash. Then that list should be provided to the NRL alongside NRL playing contracts.... clubs don't get the extra cash for the jersey the player does, its the only simple solution i can think of to fixing this problem.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Get rid of Gerard Sutton and his brother. Go back and investigate the Roosters books over the last 10 years, and if we find nothing relocate the roosters somewhere.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Bring back the shoulder charge, but make it clear any intentionally dangerous or late shoulder charge will result in a mandatory ban (this is the only way to keep everyone happy)

2. Get rid of golden point. If it’s a tie at the end of 80, keep the game going until someone gets a point. That way, the win doesn’t rely on kicking off or receiving in golden point.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Raise the salary cap to 15 million and reduce the grant from the NRL to clubs to 7.5mil. Strong clubs will thrive, poor ones will die.
Expansion to Perth, Brisbane, Pacific Island team, PNG once some clubs fold.
Go back to 1 ref with in goal judges, vid ref restricted to what they can rule on. Foul play, touch line, grounding.
Get rid of ref's having to interpret every tackle, dominant, surrender etc and go to when momentum is completed.
Reduce the wrestle and speed up the play the ball.
Interchange dropped 2 6, with a 5th player on the bench as a substitute for foul play.
Clean out the dead wood from the NRL Head office.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
18 teams with 3 divisions of 6 teams. You play every team in your division twice and every other team once for a total of 22 games. 3 division champions and 5 next best teams make the playoffs.

State of Origin on 3 consecutive Sundays. On the Friday and Saturday of those 3 weekends you have a Challenge Cup with NRL clubs minus their Origin players. Round 1 will be played as the final trials so the 8 winners would play week 1 of Origin. The final 4 on week 2 and the final will be the Saturday the day before Origin 3.

Get rid of juniors being attached to NRL clubs. Each club is allowed to have 50 players under contract for NRL and a reserve grade competition played right before the NRL game.

There will be a draft every year for players not in the NRL.

No player is allowed to switch clubs between March 1 and the GF.

Back to 1 ref.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Only TPA that should be applicable to the cap are the 'this jersey is sponsored by company x' and each jersey should be capped at a specific amount of cash. Then that list should be provided to the NRL alongside NRL playing contracts.... clubs don't get the extra cash for the jersey the player does, its the only simple solution i can think of to fixing this problem.
I just can't fathom how they can brag about how their cap makes things fair when the one city teams and stuff are able to attract players with up to a million in TPAs, compared to other teams like us who can offer what? free kebabs?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I will just change one thing get rid off NRL and start a new comp.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make the comp 14 teams. Games 1 game Friday, 3 Saturday and 3 Sunday. Every team plays each other twice so it's at least an even draw. All finals footy is sudden death so no second chances for top teams.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you had the power, what would you change in the game? What would you bring back? What would you keep? No limits, complete power, and no just the NRL, but the general game of rugby league

Representative:
  1. Strictly, have the World every 4 years, to be held during the off-season a month after the NRL Grand Final. It’s to be held the same year as the FIFA World Cup – just to keep it consistent
  2. The World Cup cannot be hosted by the same nation(s) in an 8 year span, meaning if Australia host it one year, they will NOT be able to host it against for at least another 12 years. There are also no loopholes if dual nations that host it
  3. If a player is eligible to play for a nation, they may also choose to nominate a 2nd nation of their eligibility if they are not selected for their preferential nation, and if the are eligible for Australia, they are also eligible for Origin (to avoid the Semi Radradra saga)
  4. State of Origin applies to the state an individual is BORN in
  5. All 3 games of State of Origin are on Wednesday nights, and alternating teams WILL have the 2-1 home ground advantage every year (cut this neutral ground thing, no other states will ever enter SoO)
  6. If an individual is not born in NSW/QLD, then it applies to the state of the team they played their first official game for

Domestic:

1. 26 rounds, each team has 2 buys. Representative weekend can happen during the off-season
  2. Teams heavily affected by Origin are NOT granted byes during Origin, it is luck of the draw (plus this gives their younger players a chance to break through)
  3. 18 Teams – Central Coast/North Sydney Bears (3 games at North Sydney Oval, 9 at Central Coast Stadium), and Ipswich (2nd Brisbane team)
  5. No Thursday night games anymore (this is not much different to Monday Night Football considering people have work and educational commitments the follow
  6. 1 game on Friday night, 7:45pm kick-off, no more advantage to Brisbane Broncos
  8. 4 Games live on Sunday (radio, let’s go around the grounds…) all starting at 4:00pm, and the 5th game starting at 6:00pm
  11. The One Punch, Shoulder Charge and Slap rules go out the window – (i) a person who throws the first punch is the player who will get penalised. The nature and brutality of the punch deem the sanction. (ii) Shoulder Charges are part of the game. (iii) If you slap someone, you will need to wear a pink jersey at the next game.
  14. Teams are required to play at least 2 games a year in smaller suburban grounds (or country grounds if they wish)
  15. Players who code-hop and use our game for leverage or more money are not eligible to return to Rugby League.
If I had the power I would change the fact that Greenburg is bald.

Then he may not suffer from so many insecurities and we might have a half way decent CEO of the NRL.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I can't believe I forgot 3 more...

Domestic:

15. Players who code-hop and use our game for leverage or more money are not eligible to return to Rugby League
  16. No mid-season player transfers. If you have a problem with your current contract, you will need to play out the rest of the year
  17. No golden point. In the finals, 20 minutes of extra time is applied (10 minutes per half) and golden point only applies if scores are still tied after 100 minutes
  18. 20 metre restart if the ball is kicked dead doesn't constitute a zero tackle.