Idris would have benefitted from Hasler

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/idris-would-have-benefitted-from-hasler-155609

ada Lucius
Sportal
It's a shame Jamal Idris exited Belmore just as Des Hasler entered.

If ever there was a player who could have benefitted from Hasler's tough love, it's the dreadlocked centre who now plies his trade at the Gold Coast Titans.

There is no doubt that on his day Idris is a super talent and one of the most destructive players in the NRL.

He has played for state and country - all before the age of 21.

Yet consistency continues to be a stranger while his attitude is often brought into question.

Idris has a penchant for saying what's on his mind, which is great for media types but tends to attract unwelcome attention.

Take his swipe at Sydney this week: "City life is a bit extreme. There are a lot of angry people. It's a dog-eat-dog world in Sydney."

Canterbury fans, most of who reside in the city Idris bagged, probably wish the big centre had been more dog-eat-dog in his final season at Belmore.

His form dropped markedly once he announced he'd signed with the Titans in April and dipped further when he was left out of the NSW Origin squad.

The end of the year couldn't come quickly enough for Idris or the Bulldogs, who publicly describe the split as 'amicable' but privately think otherwise.

But things may have turned out differently for all concerned if Hasler had been lured away from Brookvale much earlier.

He doesn't believe in sugar-coating things or telling players what they want to hear.

Just ask Anthony Watmough.

A fed-up Hasler went public to declare Choc was on his last chance after taking a leak in Manly's main street.

Watmough responded with a stand-out season that saw him win a premiership and play Origin and Test football

Hasler has already stamped his authority at Canterbury, telling at least one high profile Bulldogs player that he won't be seeing much game time in 2012 unless there are some dramatic improvements and changes.

That player has been one of the club's leading pre-season performers.

Idris has joined a club that ran last in 2011 and invested heavily in the player market in an attempt to turn things around.

As the club's marquee signing, he is on big money and the pressure will be on from the first minute.

A below par season and he may find out Sydney people are not the only ones capable of being 'angry and extreme'.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well so would of Brent Sherwin, Willie Mason and Chris Armit, no point pissin in the wind now is it?

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is this high profile player that's been told to pick up his game.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
lolllll probably half the team

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goodwin, Morris, Keating, Eastwood?
The list could become quiet long really but nah, I thought the article was saying he had singled out a high profile player and with the chit chat around Barba it had me wondering.

All of our boys need a kick up the bum but I can't say ive ever looked forward to a season like I am looking forward to this one.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
^ keen observation

o lols every hasler related thread has so many lurkers... hmmm wonder who they be...

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
I was upset that Idris signed with the Titans, but having to sit and watch hims below par performances for the rest of the year, I was not so unhappy to see him go after the Canberra game. I have high regard for Lafai as a player, a team player. Remember Jamal, you are only as good as your last performance..... and last year, you had nothing to show me. Five years in the wilderness at the Titans is a long time. They still have the most ageing of squads.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What would Hasler had taught him? Perhaps basic first aid so he stopped bleeding everywhere??

Moust

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think that high profile player mentioned in the article is Eastwood. Did nothing last year in attack or defense.

I don't think we have too much top quality backs that would perform better then Morris so I don't think it's jmoz

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Best article I've ever read on Idris.

Sums him up perfectly. Potential, wasted talent, loud-mouthed.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I heard it was Tolman
i wouldnt call tolman a high profile player yet, it would be a rep player more likely, eastwood, pritchard, ennis, morris etc

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
With the way Tolman puts in on the field I doubt highly that it would be him

marsvolta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i can't believe it was only one player. i'd lean towards eastwood but is he really high profile these days? pritchard?

Status
Not open for further replies.