Idris warns of more bite in '09

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idris warns of more bite in '09
By Josh Massoud | March 04, 2009 12:00am

BIG, dark and menacing ... Jamal Idris stalks a narrow back alley in Sydney's southwest with a scowl on his face.
"Man, I'm so frustrated right now,'' he mumbles. "I'm just sick of all this training and no football. I just want to get out the there and let rip.''

These are the words Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore wants to hear. Words that drip with with hunger and aggression. After a full off-season with the NRL squad, Idris has returned with a sharpened tip to his already destructive frame.

The 18-year-old was a frightening enough prospect when he debuted from nowhere late last year. Tipped the scales at 112kg and looked down on rivals from 192cm.

The whirl of dreadlocks and sinew evoked comparisons with dual international Lote Tuqiri and three NRL appearances were enough to convince Andrew Johns to rank Idris as one of the players to watch this season.

But that was before Idris even picked up a dumb-bell. Before he started replacing his "baby fat'' with muscle. Before he could focus on rugby league without the distraction of being a world-ranked junior athletics champion. And most critically, before the Bulldogs could toughen him up between the ears.

Still at high school, Idris admits he was a playful pup last year. Yesterday, he warned rival sides to expect a lot more mongrel thanks to rev-ups from his teammates and coach Kevin Moore.

"Michael Ennis has been into me,'' he reveals. "Mick and the coaching staff have taught me to be aggressive in everything I do - especially opposed sessions.

"I used to only go about 60 per cent because you're playing against teammates, but Mick and the other boys have been at me to go as hard as possible. I'm not a very angry person by nature and the club has trying to get more aggression into me.''

In trials against St George Illawarra and Canberra, he has noticed a difference. His opposites would have, too. "Last year I was sort of getting knocked over and pushed back in first grade, whereas now I'm getting underneath blokes and driving them back.

"I've gone from bench pressing 100kg to 130kg and I know I can do much more. Still, it's not a bad start considering I never did weights when I was involved in athletics.''

The son of a Nigerian sprint coach, Idris is still young enough to juggle schoolboy football in the Arrive Alive Cup and the NRL. Given his hunger for football, Idris is keen to turn-out for both the Bulldogs and his school mates at De la Salle Bankstown this season.

"My manager (Sam Ayoub) is looking after everything else, so I can just concentrate on footy. I'd like to play both but I'm not sure if the Bulldogs will let me,'' he adds with a cheeky smile.

There's no shortage of chutzpah here - despite the fact he relies on 17-year-old girlfriend Casey to drive him to training. "I still don't have my driver's license,'' Idris explains. "I've failed twice for not checking my blind spot. And I don't like failing.''

On the back of his success so far, Idris has gone from virtual unknown to a recognisable face on the street. Just wait until they mistake him for Tuqiri ...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25135764-5006066,00.html

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant wait for the ****** season to start.

top_dawg

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yep, this has all the hallmarks................not long now before the roosters try another sneek attack.

also stfu idris, u play for the dogs, none of this play with ur mates at school crap, we dont want another mason.

ps im jizzing by the bucket loads over this prospect.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
The boy can play. I just hope he gets good clean ball on the front foot this year!

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
what a machine. hope you rip everyone to bits and get that ball behind the line

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Manly have rude shock awaiting them in Rd 1 IMO

We might not win, but all this invincibles talk will be gone quick smart

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good to hear he has had a good off season and that he has become more aggressive and confident but by the same token there is a fine line between confidence and overconfidence and I would hope a kid who has only played three first grade games wouldn't buy into his own hype.

I'm sure Jamal won't as he seems like a great, determined kid but I guess my point is we have had a tonne of positive articles about our players, coach and the season and I'm sick of all the talk coming out now, I just want to see them perform and back it all up.

Round 1 can't come soon enough not only because we finally get to see the boys run out and the season start but also because all of these articles hyping everyone up will stop.

robdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
concentrate on playing FG. forget school football,forget about the media interviews.

robdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good to hear he has had a good off season and that he has become more aggressive and confident but by the same token there is a fine line between confidence and overconfidence and I would hope a kid who has only played three first grade games wouldn't buy into his own hype.

I'm sure Jamal won't as he seems like a great, determined kid but I guess my point is we have had a tonne of positive articles about our players, coach and the season and I'm sick of all the talk coming out now, I just want to see them perform and back it all up.

Round 1 can't come soon enough not only because we finally get to see the boys run out and the season start but also because all of these articles hyping everyone up will stop.
WELL said,bulldogs are bringing him along nicely,he seeems like an innocent kid. Bulldogs should scan media interviews bit better.No more talk time for action.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
concentrate on playing FG. forget school football,forget about the media interviews.
Agree 100%, why are we so media friendly. Why can not we stay underground and just do our business on the field. Manly were a good prospect to win all the way through last year, but they hardly had any news articles being written about, leading to not much pressure. The more media coverage we get especially regarding an up and coming player, the more chance he would be pouched....to the rooters

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I havent seen Idris at all this year, but Im really hoping he worked out HARD in the offseason. He could weigh in at 120KG with the muscle mass which wouldnt have a detriment on his speed due to his athletic body shape and form.

In other words, he could make himself unstoppable.

I'd also wish someone of the likes of Gordon Tallis would mentor him a bit and teach him some real mongrel.

This guy could be the next big thing in league - the only thing that will stop him is himself.

I can see him playing SOO this year if he plays his cards right.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
great read hope his a menace on the field.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I havent seen Idris at all this year, but Im really hoping he worked out HARD in the offseason. He could weigh in at 120KG with the muscle mass which wouldnt have a detriment on his speed due to his athletic body shape and form.

In other words, he could make himself unstoppable.

I'd also wish someone of the likes of Gordon Tallis would mentor him a bit and teach him some real mongrel.

This guy could be the next big thing in league - the only thing that will stop him is himself.

I can see him playing SOO this year if he plays his cards right.
Are you alright? 120kg?? You don't put muscle on that fast chief and he would slow down dramatically. He's at the perfect weight now, just needs to shed a bit more fat and keep on building his strength

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
tbh idris could be anything. reminds me big time of tuquri. Could become even better than him

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
That's a nice fantasy but clearly not true. The same could have been said about Lote Tuquiri but even at 107kg he's lost part of his speed because he's bulked up so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.