I quit smoking

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Today marks 2 weeks off the darts cold turkey and maybe my hundredth attempt at quitting. I was a pack a day smoker for the past 10 years and finally had enough.

Surprisingly I haven't really had any cravings, but I think that might be due to me getting back in the gym and keeping my mind occupied.

I know it's only early days but this time feels different.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nice work mate.
I failed twice before kicking them for good and that was 21 years ago. I had a few cigars in between but stopped them too about 2007. Now it’s only the occasional double apple shisha when at Leb restaurants but other than that nada. Your wallet will thank you quickly (and I gave up when they were still <$10/pack) but in time your body will thank you too as lung capacity improves. Worth the effort.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep going. I quit for 2 years after 14 years of smoking then started again. This year i quit for a month then picked up a cigarette again. I have no problems quitting cold turkey, its just that when i have a drink i usually reach for a cigarette.

Tip : Don’t watch any movies tv shows that has lots of smoking, especially farking Narcos!

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice work mate.
I failed twice before kicking them for good and that was 21 years ago. I had a few cigars in between but stopped them too about 2007. Now it’s only the occasional double apple shisha when at Leb restaurants but other than that nada. Your wallet will thank you quickly (and I gave up when they were still pack) but in time your body will thank you too as lung capacity improves. Worth the effort.
The last time I quit I went about 6 months before fucking up on a night out. But when I think back, I never really wanted to quit. This time I actually want them gone.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keep going. I quit for 2 years after 14 years of smoking then started again. This year i quit for a month then picked up a cigarette again. I have no problems quitting cold turkey, its just that when i have a drink i usually reach for a cigarette.

Tip : Don’t watch any movies tv shows that has lots of smoking, especially farking Narcos!
Yeah the drink is the biggest problem. I can proudly say I haven't had a drink in 2 weeks either haha

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The last time I quit I went about 6 months before fucking up on a night out. But when I think back, I never really wanted to quit. This time I actually want them gone.
Yep, same.
I failed because I wasn’t ready.
When you’re ready it’s much easier.
Back in the day you could still smoke in pubs too so not smoking when drinking was harder, today that’s another thing that’s easier. Good luck with it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Or Mad Men..

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work mate!
Keep going!

Eucalyptus lollies work a treat if you get a craving.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Today marks 2 weeks off the darts cold turkey and maybe my hundredth attempt at quitting. I was a pack a day smoker for the past 10 years and finally had enough.

Surprisingly I haven't really had any cravings, but I think that might be due to me getting back in the gym and keeping my mind occupied.

Well done mate. I smoked for almost 30 years (Wini Reds) and tried giving them up without success 4 or 5 times for different lengths but ended back on them. I was giving them up for the wife and kids, for my doctor, because of the expense, the adds on TV etc etc. Then a mates dad gave me the best advice ever.

He told me you only give them up when you want to. Once you go from looking at a packet of ciggys thinking you a not allowed to have one, to realizing I can have one anytime I want BUT i dont want to, then its much easier. I still love the smell of a freshly lit ciggy almost 15 years later but I dont have any desire to have one.

Last edited:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Way to go man!

Its been 2 months for me now.

Tbh, iGet Vape has helped me dramatically with the craves, I have no desire to smoke now, the thought and smell of it actually turns me off.

I can definitely feel a differnce

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vaping helps, I know a heap of people who just vape and not touch a smoke anymore.
I'm in that boat. And since you can't get nicotine vapes in Aus over the counter, the addictive part of that is gone. I used to smoke like a chimney when I wasn't at work. Now I usually vape when walking the dog and that's pretty much it. Going from $50 plus a week to a vial of vape juice about every three months has been good for the wallet.

Edit.
Best thing about the vaping as an alternative is that when you're feeling the urge for a smoke you get the action of inhaling without renewing the nicotine cycle. You also don't wake up with ashtray mouth

Last edited:

longy0303

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fantastic. What other useless info about your life can you share? Why don’t you take a picture of your lunch and Tell us about that. I am just going upstairs to rub one out in anticipation of what’s to come.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thats your biggest test. Oh and you'll probably get your sense of smell back and notice that smokers stink when they get in a car with you haha.
Yeah Iv already noticed how much it stinks