'I have never been happier': How Stuart saved Harawira-Naera's career

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your club is going to bring this to the attention of the NRL, I hope they do it behind the scenes or they could end up looking like massive sooks.

Imo, step to the left and move on.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
All fun and games until you starts losing ... won't be rosey forever Corey. Shit like this makes me want the Storm to win lol

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The same Ricky Stuart that cried through the media about how agents are destroying players and the game, and clubs wouldn't be held random by players ... Hmmm

If anything it shows what a dumb **** CHN is for blabbing that to the press. If I were the Dogs I'd be putting in a formal complaint. Realise all clubs do it, along with us, but for CHN to be so open about it ...

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
you guys are acting as if this poachig breach is news?

he was linked to canberra before we punted him, how could that have occured otherwise?

Unless he planned to buy a house in tuggeranong before the sex crime, peopl;e linked him because he was having meetings about joining

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah. Cotric was off contract and wanted an opportunity at a club that would give him an opportunity to cement a position in the centres. Nothing to do with Ricky Stuart breaching rules to convince this jerk to break his contract.
They did try and keep cotric, but dogs sold him on money and told him not to forget that raiders didnt believe in him asa centre.

CHN was to replace bateman.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They did try and keep cotric, but dogs sold him on money and told him not to forget that raiders didnt believe in him asa centre.

CHN was to replace bateman.
Lol.... I never said they didn’t try and keep him.... but there’s no comparison between negotiations with an off contract player and trying to entice a player to break a contract.

I know why they wanted CHN too.... but the club should have never let it happen snd by the sound of it, Stuart breached nrl tampering rules and should be investigated.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.... I never said they didn’t try and keep him.... but there’s no comparison between negotiations with an off contract player and trying to entice a player to break a contract.

I know why they wanted CHN too.... but the club should have never let it happen snd by the sound of it, Stuart breached nrl tampering rules and should be investigated.
we handled it atrociuosly in every way, as bad as it gets.
-reported it to nrl when we didnt need too
-didnt check mental welfare whilst stood down
-publically humiliated them in the media
-didnt lobby for reinstatement
-didnt touvh base with players at all, basically nothing support related
-paid contract despite nothing to gain from it
-let them leave without adequate replacement or compensation

the one time ive been ashamed to be a dog, that aint my club.

Can you imagine how Ricky and the raiders would have handled it?
would have been critical and supported them publically at every step, then used the suiege mentality to motivate the group.

he even friggin supported our guy, and we didnt do!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...-harawira-naera-s-career-20201014-p56515.html

'I have never been happier': How Stuart saved Harawira-Naera's career

Corey Harawira-Naera listened to his first bake from Ricky Stuart a couple of weeks ago, a half-time spray delivered in a game they were leading by 14 points with nine regulars resting at home."That was probably the game we played one of our best first halves," Harawira-Naera laughed. "And they came back at us in the second half and almost beat us."

Corey Harawira-Naera feared his career was over... now he can't believe he's just eighty minutes away from grand final.

While the back-rower can joke about the infamous Stuart bakes, he knows there is every chance he wouldn't be 80 minutes away from a first grand final appearance without the coach's intervention.

The New Zealand international, who had his contract reinstated on appeal mid-way through the season after the Port Macquarie schoolgirl scandal, owes a debt of gratitude to his new coach.

First, he got him out of Sydney when others were trying to convince Harawira-Naera to do the same. Then Stuart has allowed the 25-year-old to gradually find his feet back in the NRL as an impact weapon off the bench for the Raiders after being granted a release by the Bulldogs.

"I don't want to sound like I'm boasting or anything, but he was keen on getting me down here," Harawira-Naera said.

"For a while I was speaking to Canberra and I was speaking to the Dogs and I was telling him, 'I don't know if it's going to work. I would like to come, but I've got a contract here'. He said, 'don't give up if you want to move on or start fresh'.

"It didn't look like I was going to get out of there, but I just felt like I needed to get out of Sydney and start fresh. I love it down here. I have never been happier before. It's such a weight off my shoulders down here. You can focus on footy.

"[Ricky] knows how to separate work from just being a mate. I can go upstairs and talk to him as a player, I can go upstairs and talk to him as a mate about family matters. I haven't come across many coaches who can do that. I like his style. He always backs his players."

Harawira-Naera's wild year, which started with him being stood down alongside former Bulldogs teammate Jayden Okunbor days before the start of the season, later having their contracts torn up, could still yield the game's biggest prize.

Corey Harawira-Naera  trucks the ball up during the win over the Roosters.

Corey Harawira-Naera trucks the ball up during the win over the Roosters.Credit:NRL Photos

It would be a wild end to the season for the former Panther, who admits he hasn't even been able to see much of Canberra or meet the families of his teammates due to the NRL's strict biosecurity protocols.

Harawira-Naera will start off the bench against the Storm in the preliminary final at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night, the third time he's featured in a finals series in just four years of top grade action.

Canberra's enforcer Josh Papalii was in no doubt why Stuart aggressively pursued Harawira-Naera.

"His first goal when he came in as a coach was to realise it should be a player-driven club," Papalii said. "The older players make the decisions and that's what he wants. He asked for more Origin players and internationals.

"He's won grand finals, Clive Churchills, Dally Ms, he's been there and done that as a player - and as a coach. I think understanding you as a player, he gets."
Isn't that what he said when he came to the Dogs ?

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No accountability whatsoever. It was his dick that did the damage not Lynne Anderson’s

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Why are people here pissed off at Corey though? If you remember what our basket-case of a club did... the NRL deregistered him, and the club said "We fully support the NRL's decision" - essentially hanging him out to dry.

THIS IS THE REASON YOU DON'T LICK THE NRL'S ARSE!

I don't fucking blame him for leaving.