Opinion I feel sorry for flanno Honestly

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the information is true that is being reported, I disagree. NRL 360 are telling us that Flanagan hasn't trained with first grade squad outside of the preseason for near 12 months. He wasn't given any time with Burton in the trials.
All our eggs were put into Averillo who was never a lock as the halfback. To me that just seems odd.

Then he is overlooked for wakeham, who is playing 5/8 in reserves. Now he has been chucked in with a halves partner he hasn't had any time with. Against a team that regardless who was the 7, we are heavy under dogs to even be 1-12 against them. Coming off a heavy loss and multiple changes in the spine. The other players in the team have no cohesion with each other as it is. He you go Kyle, go and fix everything against the defending premiers who just best their grand finalists last week.

Poor coaching/management in my opinion
I wouldn't go believe everything NRL 360 say...for example, drones!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its not a mistake playing Flanagan. The other two were tried and basically failed.
What's that old saying about doing the same thing, and expecting a different result.
We were going nowhere, and changes had to be made, irrespective of the time frame.
What the fuck was 2021 then?? It was a year long trial, so why now play 3 HB in 5 weeks? The bloke is baked..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did the NRL360 muppets prefer we wait until we play the Tigers to recall Flanno?

Because if his name was not on the team sheet today they would’ve said ‘after 44-0 they still don’t pick the most natural halfback in their squad’

We get it Fox NRL his dad works for you

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did the NRL360 muppets prefer we wait until we play the Tigers to recall Flanno?

Because if his name was not on the team sheet today they would’ve said ‘after 44-0 they still don’t pick the most natural halfback in their squad’

We get it Fox NRL his dad works for you
He probably should have been picked over wakeham

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He probably should have been picked over wakeham
Probably should have but that boat has sailed.

He got picked this week so they should be happy their mates son is back in FG, otherwise they would’ve cried he didn’t get picked again ….

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don’t get why everyone is up in arms over the fact flanno is picked this week. Even the most optimistic of dogs fans would say that the next two weeks are probably lost causes already (I give us a chance against the rabbits, they have been pretty shit themselves so far, nowhere near what they were last year). The wooden spooners from last year up against the two grand finalists, why not use these two games to blood the new combination and try to get some understanding between them before the games become more realistically winnable.
I’d rather a halves combo in their 3rd week together when we play Brisbane again in round 7 than be overly clunky and likely cost ourselves a shot at the win with halves that haven’t had a chance to at least try and find some form together.

Nobody is expecting flanno to come into the side and single handedly beat the panthers this week. This month stretch where we play all 4 top 4 teams from last year was always going to be ugly. Manly starting so poor helped make the really ugly stretch only 3 weeks, but anyone who circled these games as potential wins was dreaming, so if wins are unlikely, why not use them to try and find the best options in each position.

All of that obviously changes If they only give flanno these 2 games to show anything, that would be an absolutely arsehole move, but if he’s still in the 7 jersey when we play Brisbane, these two weeks might be what has the halves clicking at the right time to win a few games

El Mag-Nick

Waterboy
Reaction score
If the information is true that is being reported, I disagree. NRL 360 are telling us that Flanagan hasn't trained with first grade squad outside of the preseason for near 12 months. He wasn't given any time with Burton in the trials.
All our eggs were put into Averillo who was never a lock as the halfback. To me that just seems odd.

Then he is overlooked for wakeham, who is playing 5/8 in reserves. Now he has been chucked in with a halves partner he hasn't had any time with. Against a team that regardless who was the 7, we are heavy under dogs to even be 1-12 against them. Coming off a heavy loss and multiple changes in the spine. The other players in the team have no cohesion with each other as it is. He you go Kyle, go and fix everything against the defending premiers who just best their grand finalists last week.

Poor coaching/management in my opinion
What’s the alternative? The next two games are basically no chance no matter who we play, it’s wooden spoon vs grand finalists both weeks, why not use the next two games to get some understanding of each other between the halves and maybe shake out some of the clunkiness they will have together so that in round 7 when we play Brisbane they have some cohesion and we might get a win.

If we wait till an easier game to blood the halves combo between these 2 it becomes a tougher game than it needs to be because we are handicapping any fluidity the spine will have having never played together at all.

Reactions: 88

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
Let's hope the boys back him up when Jarome comes in for the sledge, need someone like TPJ to be bodyguard.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t get why everyone is up in arms over the fact flanno is picked this week. Even the most optimistic of dogs fans would say that the next two weeks are probably lost causes already (I give us a chance against the rabbits, they have been pretty shit themselves so far, nowhere near what they were last year). The wooden spooners from last year up against the two grand finalists, why not use these two games to blood the new combination and try to get some understanding between them before the games become more realistically winnable.
I’d rather a halves combo in their 3rd week together when we play Brisbane again in round 7 than be overly clunky and likely cost ourselves a shot at the win with halves that haven’t had a chance to at least try and find some form together.

Nobody is expecting flanno to come into the side and single handedly beat the panthers this week. This month stretch where we play all 4 top 4 teams from last year was always going to be ugly. Manly starting so poor helped make the really ugly stretch only 3 weeks, but anyone who circled these games as potential wins was dreaming, so if wins are unlikely, why not use them to try and find the best options in each position.

All of that obviously changes If they only give flanno these 2 games to show anything, that would be an absolutely arsehole move, but if he’s still in the 7 jersey when we play Brisbane, these two weeks might be what has the halves clicking at the right time to win a few games
Because playing 3 different halfbacks in 5 weeks exposes Baz as an absolute fraud. I know many on here see nothing wrong with constantly dropping players but it's absolutely ridiculous and most that have coached would tell you the same. You don't "try players" and think you're going to find something that you didn't see previously in months of training LOL

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look flanno is being set up as next scapegoat he is chopping and changes the halves so people don’t realise burton has been a dud so far .
Take away his kicks he really has done fuck all and imo the two halfbacks been more dangerous ball in hand .
Funny thing is other than his bad passes into touch burton has not been much better than Lewis was

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
meh even if we get pumped 36-12 you can still have an okay game. set up a try, show something

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel sorry for him too. Earning 450k per year, not live up to expectations but still has the sympathy of the media .

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not gonna sit here and say Trent is a good coach, but can we not all agree that he hasn't exactly had much to work with as far as halves go? I'd love to know what else he is supposed to do? Last season he started with Flano and Avo as 7 & 6, as anyone with a clue would have. Eventually Flano wasn't cutting it, so he got cut. Avo for some reason kept his spot. Tbh, he did show glimpses of quality. So, we come to last preseason, it's obvious he'd go with Avo as the firstcab off the rank. Flano struggled to find any form, hence hasn't had a look in. In recent games he has looked much better, so he's been given a shot.

There really is no way you could have made better selections. He doesn't have a good enough 7, simple as that. I'm not writing him off just yet, because he's a big reason we were able to sign a plethora of top quality players. Mahoney should amke a world of difference. JMK was a hand brake last week, and his service usually starts each tackle off poorly. Just too slow which made it difficult for our halves to do anything.
I don't think Avo showed any glimpses of being am NRL 7 at all. tbaz should of invested in BBO or Flannagun last year and if they failed then we needed to go into the market for a 7 to compliment Burton. Changing halves all over the place is terrible coaching. In saying that I hope flanno kills it

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Have to agree with you .
Also whilst it might be the right move to bring him in , seriously changing halves every 2 games is going to get the team nowhere .
No cohesion in attack as they have a new half also would dent the confidence of all these players getting dropped every 2 weeks
Don’t think they’re getting dropped, it would be more like rotating, probably informed the players in the preseason this was the plan

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
I think the Brooks flanno swap is a good one if it doesn’t cost the dogs financially much.
For example if a straight swap plus dogs only top up 100k and tigers pay the rest.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some people seem concerned that there has been a change in the 1/2's. I would be more concerned
if we continued accepting the same rubbish that they have been presenting.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't feel sorry for the Bloke. This is Flanno's oppurtunity to stand up. This his chance to prove all the doubters wrong. Alot of people do not get this many cgances in life. Lets hope he makes the most of this 1
I agree. If he is serious about being a part of the FG team, he grabs it with both hands and runs with it. I just hope he doesn't try too hard and pressure himself out of the game. Good luck Kyle.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful what you say. Apparently the experts on here can tell from “body language” that Flanno spat the dummy even though there is no evidence of it. To me it looks like he put his head down and is playing well in NSW cup.. he may not be the solution to our halfback woes but he definitely deserves a shot just like everyone else
Sulking on TV and all his dads mates had a lot to do with our opinion of him.