I feel a repeat of 09

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I hope you are right - definitely enough recent quality signings to cause a surge up the ladder, finally!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same feeling last year so I’m just gonna fuck my feelings and wait for round 1
Always better to go in with lower expectations! I was more excited to start last season, so the reality obviously stung. This season there’s more reason to be optimistic but still some unknowns, so I’m not thinking we’ll finish top 8 or anything. Just hoping for an entertaining season tbh, with more wins than last year.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s more hype compared to 2009. That worries me a little

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
To me feels more like 1998. The year we got our mojo back after the super league crap. Somehow knew we were going all the way to the gf that year and at half time in the gf dared to dream. Hopefully this is the year it all starts to click into place like 98.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
BK what a player, pushed the immortal to hooker many times. Never stopped working and never gave up, what a elite 7
Bk was good but our best half since Lamb for me was Brent Sherwin. He was soso the last few years of his career, but at his peak around 2004 he was awesome. Best kicking game ever.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 was a horror year, with injuries and a lot of old players leaving, plus SBW not being happy at the club and it being Steve Folkes' last year as coach. Kevin Moore took over in '09 and the club brought in new recruits in Kimmorley, Josh Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Hannant and Eastwood through the season was also signed. We had to improve from '08 as it couldn't have been any worse. Didn't last long though as we dropped off in 2010.

2023 is different, but in a much better way. We've been rebuilding for a few years now and have the right people signing the right players that will ultimately get us another premiership in 2 to 3 years. Game is a lot quicker, and the current top teams seem a lot fitter than I've ever seen. Rorters and Panthers players are built like granite and hopefully we're heading that way with Ciraldo now in charge.

Getting JAC and Burton was great, they'll be even better this year with the inclusion of Kikau and Mahoney. Be very surprised if we don't make the 8 at least, anything else would be a bonus and I wouldn't put it past them to make top 4. If 2009 side can come from last to 2nd then this side could do the same coming from 12th last year.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To me feels more like 1998. The year we got our mojo back after the super league crap. Somehow knew we were going all the way to the gf that year and at half time in the gf dared to dream. Hopefully this is the year it all starts to click into place like 98.
We were gassed in that GF, had we finished in the 4, we would have won. I think we finished the reg season in 8th from memory and famously won some finals games from way behind.

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
No, in 2009 we had an Origin level halfback & fullback. Those 2 positions are our biggest weaknesses this year. If you have an elite spine then they can cover for other positions.
In 2023 we have an origin level 5/8 and hooker. Still 2 positions of the spine, which all 4 are as equally important as each other! Your point is?

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get more 2012 vibes but maybe not quite minor premiers or even top 4. That same hype of new style of play though.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, in 2009 we had an Origin level halfback & fullback. Those 2 positions are our biggest weaknesses this year. If you have an elite spine then they can cover for other positions.
Patten was good but never played at origin level