I fear Baz won't get sacked.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely if the higher ups at all care about on field results anymore baz goes. I swear ever since that Raelene castle clown came in and said the bulldogs ambitions aren’t just on field and winning grand finals but also “insert diverse political bullshit” as their priority. I remember her specifically coming out and talking about it, and we’ve just been so shit ever since.
It was a hearts and minds thing in an attempt to fix our reputation. Problem is that Greenberg already fixed our reputation. She was just pushing it further than it needed to go.

Still haven't forgiven her for getting rid of the cheerleaders.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus came to save him but that might be impossible.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I would take anything Gus says in public with a huge grain of salt. He knows how to play the bullshit media game better than anyone.
Agreed, more likely Gus is talking to him and suggesting (hopefully) he falls on his sword - too much pressure/personal reasons etc. as opposed to sacking him.

That’s my hope at least…

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Aren't they illegal?
No. Cleary has one in his new contract that he can leave if Ivan gets the flick. It only activates if Ivan is sacked, not retires or leaves of his own accord. Pretty sure he would also have to see out the year and then be free after the final game. It's unlikely to get used, but it's there. He also had one similar as a kid, but chose not to activate it when Gus decided Dad needed a nap.

I think clauses like that are more common than most would think.

KoolDavid

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agreed, more likely Gus is talking to him and suggesting (hopefully) he falls on his sword - too much pressure/personal reasons etc. as opposed to sacking him.

That’s my hope at least…
Yup hope so too.
Remember this one when Anthony Griffin was shown the door.
In that video, in the first 60 seconds of the interview, Gus told Anthony Griffin "Take this money and take a holiday. Have a rest." Hopefully he is starting to do that now with Baz before things get ugly!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

That’s my hope at least…
This is probably the most likely situation, but Barrett will know that ends any thoughts of him ever being a first grade coach again so he will be like the directors of a company on the brink praying a miracle happens...

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Baz is too stubborn to leave.
He is hoping next years signings will get us away from the spoon.
Only one option Gus or the Board Sack the fraud now you dopes.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Every week Tbaz stays now is a direct reflection on Gus. This is all Gus now.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yup hope so too.
In that video, in the first 60 seconds of the interview, Gus told Anthony Griffin "Take this money and take a holiday. Have a rest." Hopefully he is starting to do that now with Baz before things get ugly!
It's clear why Gus was brought in.

He's sacked coaches before but is giving Barrett a good go at it now.

At what point he realises its a forlorn hope and irretrievable, we'll all just have to impatiently wait and hope Gus has a successful blueprint from his past experiences.

We have no other options unfortunately.

Plus there's a sense that Gus does not want the sole responsibility of making this momentus decision both for Barrett's sake and gotta say, because of the personal, strident criticism Gus will be subjected to yet again for sacking a coach.

I suspect when he took the job on he didn't imagine in his wildest dreams that the team would have had such terrible results and the fans would need to be so vocal with their disgust at our plight.

He is now confronted with the full realisation that there are drastic inherent failings in many different sections of the football dept and roster.

It's probably fair and reasonable to give him a bit more time to come up with a way forward that's financially and mentally best for all concerned.

There's so much at stake that we are best served by sensible and responsible thinking and planning in this regard.

There will be no quick results for us either on the field or off it :(

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only reason why we wouldn't be pulling the trigger would be due to a clause the morons in charge prior put in for a massive payout clause in tbs favour.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Yup hope so too.
He wasn’t wrong in griffin though.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only reason why we wouldn't be pulling the trigger would be due to a clause the morons in charge prior put in for a massive payout clause in tbs favour.
Sideshift him to Assistant coach on same money. Problem solved. We wouldn’t have paid him Des money.

I actually want him still in the club. He’s a good guy and players do like him but he’s just not a strong enough leader. You can’t be friends with your employees. Simple as that.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My source is a guy who works for channel 7. I hope he’s right too for all of our sakes
Actually gives it the most legs. Channel 7 have nothing to do with League so it would only be information for their news reporters to do a story about the meeting. Wouldn’t think they would be involved in rumours.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's clear why Gus was brought in.

He's sacked coaches before but is giving Barrett a good go at it now.

At what point he realises its a forlorn hope and irretrievable, we'll all just have to impatiently wait and hope Gus has a successful blueprint from his past experiences.

We have no other options unfortunately.

Plus there's a sense that Gus does not want the sole responsibility of making this momentus decision both for Barrett's sake and gotta say, because of the personal, strident criticism Gus will be subjected to yet again for sacking a coach.

I suspect when he took the job on he didn't imagine in his wildest dreams that the team would have had such terrible results and the fans would need to be so vocal with their disgust at our plight.

He is now confronted with the full realisation that there are drastic inherent failings in many different sections of the football dept and roster.

It's probably fair and reasonable to give him a bit more time to come up with a way forward that's financially and mentally best for all concerned.

There's so much at stake that we are best served by sensible and responsible thinking and planning in this regard.

There will be no quick results for us either on the field or off it :(
Well said

If we were winning and/or showing gradual improvement I'm sure Gus' direct involvement with the NRL side and coaching would be minimal, and he would focus on the pathways development and negotiating new recruits etc.

Unfortunately we are now in a position that is so bad, Gus has had to become more involved and is going to have to make some huge decisions in regards to how best to get this shit show back on track.

I'm sure discussions/planning is going on in the background in regards to the coach and certain players. All us supporters want Barrett out yesterday and want immediate changes but to all of our frustration, sometimes that's not possible. We are just going to have to be patient unfortunately. (That won't stop me checking on here 10 times a day waiting for the news that Barrett has been sacked:grinning:

Gus and JK have a massive job to lift our club out of our current state, and all we can do is have faith in them to do that, even if it doesn't happen as quick as we would like

My 2 cents worth without any inside knowledge is that I think the wheels of change are definitely in motion behind the scenes because Gus and Jk can see what we see and they know it's not acceptable or working, so something has to and will change

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally understand people hating on the coach, but what i do not understand is the lack of talk regarding how devoid of talent our squad is.

Dufty
Okonbor
Naden
Schoupp
Flannagan
Jackson
Waddell
JMK

How many games are you going to win with the 8 players mentioned above in the starting 13 ?

These players range from bad to average at best.

What little talent we have in reserves (Alamoti, Toia) are in no way ready for NRL at the moment, and the players that probably could come in (Kiraz. Stuckey) are no world beaters, that's for sure.

Trying to add a little balance to the argument.