News 'I can feel the heat coming': Flanagan expects to be targeted

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try assist, repeat sets, another try assist if Flanagan grounds the ball. Struggled to get involved in the first 40 but his involvement was up in the next 20...hardly nothing.
What a surprise u don’t agree with me

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You clearly didnt watch the game then.
If u read my earlier post,I missed about 25 mins of game,had to pick a mate up from station,so basing it on what I saw,so if he improved well and good,I would love to see him perform,

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If u read my earlier post,I missed about 25 mins of game,had to pick a mate up from station,so basing it on what I saw,so if he improved well and good,I would love to see him perform,
if you post a stupid and uneducated comment then prepare to he hammered

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to put it into context as that was Flanagan’s first game with a new team as a game managing half back. He’s not going to come in and turn the game on it’s head straight away and it’s unfair to think he will. Judge him half way through the year not on 60 mins of a trial game.
Agreed!
How about we judge him after 50 or 80 games rather than 30?!? Cleary has now played around 100 & was not considered much prior to the last 20 odd starts....I think Flanno should be appointed a little time to settle into 1st grade, particularly given its his 3rd team & system before we start calling him a failed experiment!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is every other team would have seen the pressure and will copy it now. It’s not that hard to make some adjustments to take the heat off though.

I’d love to the Sharks get the spoon. They are slipping back down to where that bottom feeding club belongs.
I think that TB will pick up on the attention he received and make adjustments
Flanno won’t last long being targeted in that manner every single week,there needs to be a second or even third option on the last.
They might stand in a position on the field to cause let’s say a distraction or decoy.
Our biggest struggle in recent years has been scoring points so I’m hopeful that we have come up with several ways to attack the line and genuinely create chances.
Not just rely on booting it on the last straight down their throat.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanno won’t last long being targeted in that manner every single week,there needs to be a second or even third option on the last.
They might stand in a position on the field to cause let’s say a distraction or decoy.
Our biggest struggle in recent years has been scoring points so I’m hopeful that we have come up with several ways to attack the line and genuinely create chances.
We really need a 9 that can kick from dummy half.. I noticed that Deitz played a bit of halfback in u20's.. surely that means he can kick..

But then again JMK played plenty of games in the halves yet never kicks out of dummy half..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our lack of an attacking hooker really bites us here. If we had a kicking or running option there it would give Flanagan that second or two extra without pressure.
It’s actually a good thing that it’s happened in a trial game so the coaching staff and Flanagan have that time to make the adjustments.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We really need a 9 that can kick from dummy half.. I noticed that Deitz played a bit of halfback in u20's.. surely that means he can kick..

But then again JMK played plenty of games in the halves yet never kicks out of dummy half..
You stole my thunder with the kicking hooker haha. Even a running threat from dummy half causes the defence to get in two minds.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our lack of an attacking hooker really bites us here. If we had a kicking or running option there it would give Flanagan that second or two extra without pressure.
It’s actually a good thing that it’s happened in a trial game so the coaching staff and Flanagan have that time to make the adjustments.
Yeah it's really easy for the shooter to chase down the kicker when it's a guarantee who the kicker will be..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You stole my thunder with the kicking hooker haha. Even a running threat from dummy half causes the defence to get in two minds.
It really hurts us having only one recognized kicker..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It really hurts us having only one recognized kicker..
Averillo, Allan or JMK are just going to have to take some pressure off and start kicking. They might only have to kick a couple early to make the opposition think twice because at the minute they can just get numbers on Flanagans side and tee off.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Totally agree a dummy half that can kick and turn teams around is invaluable
To be honest I just don’t know if that comes naturally or taught throughout their junior years
You would think someone aspiring to excel at being a top level hooker needs this skill or confidence in giving it a shot.

Reactions: GDR

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Totally agree a dummy half that can kick and turn teams around is invaluable
To be honest I just don’t know if that comes naturally or taught throughout their junior years
You would think someone aspiring to excel at being a top level hooker needs this skill or confidence in giving it a shot.
Well I hope when problems like this arise that Barrett will address them quickly, rather than just blaming the roster and trying to keep it simple like Pay did..