I am impressed with what I’ve seen of our skills coach

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like a good start, I think because they're new they also need to connect as a team and do things like camps etc

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm digging the positivity on here, but you guys do know these are like basic passing drills that you start doing in like junior rugby league and every team does through the grades yeah?

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I'm digging the positivity on here, but you guys do know these are like basic passing drills that you start doing in like junior rugby league and every team does through the grades yeah?
We have to start with the basics after des. Not 1 player from 2012 went on and improved their game under des. Hope he does the same to cherry.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you find a lot of the basic skills stuff gets overlooked and are more important than you think. Just relearning how to push a quick pass or flat ball for a forward is a big thing and if implemented enough in training, it becomes natural as part of their game. Watch the big improvement, and watch this skills coach get poached next year by the Roosters.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think you find a lot of the basic skills stuff gets overlooked and are more important than you think. Just relearning how to push a quick pass or flat ball for a forward is a big thing and if implemented enough in training, it becomes natural as part of their game. Watch the big improvement, and watch this skills coach get poached next year by the Roosters.
Yeah i believe it’s abiut changing the mentality. Imagine if for 4 years straight, you did barely any passing drills at training. Your brain gets used to that.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Folksy did the same thing when he first took over.

Re-Taught the basics like passing. From my clouded memory I think it took about a season before it filtered onto the field, but guys like Mason and Matuia started looking to pass every tackle.

Maybe Pay is bringing back some of the old Bulldog DNA he may have learnt from Folkes who learnt from Ryan.

Yes I live in hope

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can’t have a focal point of the attack reliant on forwards passing at the line. It should be in our arsenal but never the main thing.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
ok..... Skills are very important yes. Though only issue is at that age and stage of their careers it is very hard to get them too adjust too different passing techniques. These are warm up drills for all Nrl clubs which is no different. This does not mean that their useless or anything infact that Jones guy is a well respected and educated trainer. I just think if you were too see full results these drills should be focused on u9-u16 that way all juniors are groomed the right way with how to hold a ball / pass a ball/ run with a ball etc. Guys like Cooper Cronk dont pass a ball textbook style he uses his opposite leg as his passing guide. eg. ( left too right pass he has his right leg forward , which is different too what we teach in juniors. ) If nrl players do not know how to pass yet then too me they are not Fg Material lol unless your a Taumolo type forward.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can’t have a focal point of the attack reliant on forwards passing at the line. It should be in our arsenal but never the main thing.
I don't think it is about making forwards passing at the line the focal point of the attack, it is more about 2nd phase play that has become so important in the game today and what we really lacked last year

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m really happy that S.G has joined forces with Pay
Steve has a good footy head & nouse
The skills of the game are essential like passing,kicking general play
But for me it’s the vision for guys like Foran,Lewis and Jackson to direct the team in a certain way or change game plan on the run if need be.
We have to play quicker out of dummy half that’s for sure,get up fast and play the ball then put it through the hands
Lichaa has to commit either left or right,no stuffing around
Our forward pack need to be on song with either hard running or second phase
Just my thoughts
Bulldogs forever

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A good team can make meters up the middle as well well as spin the ball out wide under pressure, the best sides know how to scan the defense and decide which option is best.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score