Opinion I’m sorry Matt Burton

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’d love to see what Burton can do with a superstar half. He is complete mediocre 5/8 now. Kinda looks like Cody Walker minus Adam Reynolds.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's insane that people still won't admit he played well.. Here are his stats from last night:

1 try, 12 runs for 140 metres, 11 tackle busts, 1 line break, 14 tackles (1 missed), 16 kicks for 482 metres...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d love to see what Burton can do with a superstar half. He is complete mediocre 5/8 now. Kinda looks like Cody Walker minus Adam Reynolds.
Walker has 14 try involvements, Burton has 4 lol.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Walker has 14 try involvements, Burton has 4 lol.
Continually bringing up Burton's try involvement stats is useless when we only average 10 points a game...

Last night Canberra made way more metres and before half time we had something like 2 tackles past halfway. You can't do much from inside your own half... You could put Thurston in his prime in this lineup and he'd get fuck all try involvements...

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He looks dangerous when he is running in a centre’s position.
Spot on.
He needs to go to Centre. He is all class there, but not so much at 6. We need a class 6 bad.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was in a group chat (Being the only dogs fan) rest were Warriors, Broncos and Storm.

I wanted a non biased opinion of our performance and interestingly the majority said/agreed;

- Burton, Fox all class
- JMK is terrible
- Jake too small/weak
- Naden reserve grade
- TPJ would be Origin player if cuts out the shit in his game
- Attack predictable
- Admiral defence (though Raiders attack was mud)

I pressed on Flanno but they all reckon he ‘did his job’ by linking with Dufty and Burton got lions share of ball.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I give up... He finally has his best game in the halves and people still want to put him at centre.. It's hard enough finding one half to partner him.. Now people want to magically find two halves..

Matt Frawley and Brad Schnieder were there halves last night. Let that sink in.. That's how much of a halves shortage there is these days.. Yet people want to move one of the best young halves in the comp and hope that unicorns deliver two better halves to us next year.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was in a group chat (Being the only dogs fan) rest were Warriors, Broncos and Storm.

I wanted a non biased opinion of our performance and interestingly the majority said/agreed;

- Burton, Fox all class
- JMK is terrible
- Jake too small/weak
- Naden reserve grade
- TPJ would be Origin player if cuts out the shit in his game
- Attack predictable
- Admiral defence (though Raiders attack was mud)

I pressed on Flanno but they all reckon he ‘did his job’ by linking with Dufty and Burton got lions share of ball.
They got that pretty right I reckon.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Continually bringing up Burton's try involvement stats is useless when we only average 10 points a game...

Last night Canberra made way more metres and before half time we had something like 2 tackles past halfway. You can't do much from inside your own half... You could put Thurston in his prime in this lineup and he'd get fuck all try involvements...
It reminds me of an old saying (paraphrasing)

‘Statistics is used much like a drunk uses a lamppost for support, rather than illumination’

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Last night Canberra made more than twice as many metres and before half time we had 2 tackles past halfway. You can't get try assists from inside your own half.. You could put Thurston in his prime in this lineup and he'd get fuck all try involvements..
Prime JT would have a stack more try involvements than Burton, get your hand off it. Right now Burton is a long way from even surpassing Jake's try involvements from last season who according to TK is totally fucking shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It reminds me of an old saying (paraphrasing)

‘Statistics is used much like a drunk uses a lamppost for support, rather than illumination’
Stats can serve a purpose and help tell the story but context is always needed. Burton's stats looked great last night but he looked better than his stats read. And people are still criticising him.

Last night Burton and Fox tried everything they could to win that game and played their asses off. No one should be questioning those two as they're trying all they can and we're seeing their quality shine through the last few weeks. It's just too bad they're surrounded by players who either don't care or aren't good enough.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Time to try BBO at 7 with Burton but he needs 4 games (at least) or put him back to Cup for match fitness for 2nd half of this dreadful season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Time to try BBO at 7 with Burton but he needs 4 games (at least) or put him back to Cup for match fitness for 2nd half of this dreadful season.
BBO isn't doing shit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Prime JT would have a stack more try involvements than Burton, get your hand off it. Right now Burton is a long way from even surpassing Jake's try involvements from last season who according to TK is totally fucking shit.
He almost had three try assists last night and scored a try.

More try assists and tries will come soon. It doesn't help that he's surrounded by nobodies. It's hard to single handedly score tries and get try assists when you average 10 points as a team and the fullback, halfback, hooker and lock aren't FG standard.

You really need to forget about Averillo. He's average, has a shitty attitude and doesn't belong in the same conversation as Burton.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Stats can serve a purpose and help tell the story but context is always needed. Burton's stats looked great last night but he looked better than his stats read. And people are still criticising him.

Last night Burton and Fox tried everything they could to win that game and played their asses off. No one should be questioning those two as they're trying all they can and we're seeing their quality shine through the last few weeks. It's just too bad they're surrounded by players who either don't care or aren't good enough.
Exactly right.

How could Burton have many try assists when there's no one to pass to! He has to kick and hope the 2 fastest players in Fox and Duff-It are somehow able to jag a try by getting there first.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give up... He finally has his best game in the halves and people still want to put him at centre.. It's hard enough finding one half to partner him.. Now people want to magically find two halves..

Matt Frawley and Brad Schnieder were there halves last night. Let that sink in.. That's how much of a halves shortage there is these days.. Yet people want to move one of the best young halves in the comp and hope that unicorns deliver two better halves to us next year.
I thought he played his best game last night,
The club will look after Burton and have him at Belmore for many years.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is doing too much. He is trying to spur the team on, but nothing it happening. JAC should be FB. He 'signed' to be fullback & then we sign Dufty etc as fullback.