I’d be mad to reject superstar role: Mbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bu...8/news-story/e2a3abb8a8ad68eb89486ca1354eabbc

MOSES Mbye is embracing his new “superstar role” at Canterbury, saying he would have had “rocks in (his) head” to knock back the move to fullback under new coach Dean Pay.

Mbye will shift from the halves to don the No. 1 jersey in 2018, after Pay decided to restructure the Bulldogs’ lacklustre attack on his arrival over the off-season.

The 24-year-old has trained in the position over the summer, having never worn the No. 1 jersey at any point throughout his junior or NRL career. But he said he had no hesitation in accepting the challenge when the move was put to him by Pay early in the pre-season.

“You’ve got rocks in your head if you’re not going to jump at those opportunities,” Mbye said.

“It’s a superstar role and hopefully I can fulfil the hopes he’s got in me. “There were no questions asked about it. It was just mate, ‘that’s what we’re going to do this year’ and it was ‘sweet, beautiful’. It’s just another opportunity to play in the top level.

Moses Mbye will start the season at fullback.Source:News Corp Australia

“I think what he’s seen in the way I play around the game, I think that’s what he thinks best suits me.” Mbye worked closely in the off-season with former fullback Will Hopoate, who will shift to the centres as a result of the Dogs’ new attack. Star recruit Kieran Foran will likely partner Matt Frawley in the halves, with Pay desperately trying to reconfigure an attack that was ranked last in the NRL last year — leading to coach Des Hasler’s sacking.

“It will be different,” Mbye said.

“Two completely different coaches, opposites to be honest.

“Deano’s main goal will be to score more tries than are scored against us. He wants to play that brand of footy with fast options. I think it will be a bit more exciting.” Mbye’s future was one of several in doubt at the Bulldogs last year, after the signing of Foran and Kangaroo Aaron Woods raised salary cap concerns. While Mbye admitted he was confident he wouldn’t be pushed out given he only signed until the end of 2020, he would have copped it on the chin if he was asked to look at other options.

“I wouldn’t have been disappointed, I knew where we were at,” he said. “If it had to happen, it had to happen. But it never did. I wasn’t worried. “I had a contract here. I was one year into my new deal. I wasn’t stressed about it.

William Hopoate is likely to play in the centres.Source:AAP

“Sometimes clubs get in situations where that has to happen. Obviously (captain) James (Graham) moved on and the club moved on.”

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe he will do really well at FB. He is not a half and never will be. But he has good speed, good positional play and can defend. I wish him well.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I really hope this works

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe he will do really well at FB. He is not a half and never will be. But he has good speed, good positional play and can defend. I wish him well.
Maybe I'm having a seniors moment but haven't you been banging on about how he is not a FB and can only succeed at Centre? Have you turned to the light??

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think mbye will do well at fb returning the ball with space and time the high ball and positional play will be the issue,if he fuks up this year his nrl career is over
Go hard champ, last roll of the dice

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In defence and under the high ball it will take him time,barba was horrible for 12 months under the high ball,i see alot of similaritys in their games

A

Alexander the Great

In defence and under the high ball it will take him time,barba was horrible for 12 months under the high ball,i see alot of similaritys in their games
exactly what ive been telling friends.. everyone telling me he is small ect.. barba was smaller and absolutely killed it. lets hope he finds his feet and fast

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Playing Storm first up will be a massive test. Smith will work him over with his kicking game from dh.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
exactly what ive been telling friends.. everyone telling me he is small ect.. barba was smaller and absolutely killed it. lets hope he finds his feet and fast
He didnt at first though. Barba was bad defensively early on. That will be mbyes real test. He has the talent to run the ball like a fb, but has he got the defence? We shall see.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing Storm first up will be a massive test. Smith will work him over with his kicking game from dh.
Yep i think we all have to be patient with him as i think he will come good but early on the high ball will be tough for him

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He didnt at first though. Barba was bad defensively early on. That will be mbyes real test. He has the talent to run the ball like a fb, but has he got the defence? We shall see.
Barba was a rookie though. Mbye has been playing NRL for 3 years now, so of course he will be a better defender.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Watch this

Now consider that Mbye is faster, has better footwork, is better defensively, and a similar size.

I sense 2018 will see the return of some classy long range tries.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbyes just a yes man.

He’d say he wouldn’t mind being the water boy if the coach said it was to be his new position. If full back doesn’t work out for him we’re fkd

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this

Now consider that Mbye is faster, has better footwork, is better defensively, and a similar size.

I sense 2018 will see the return of some classy long range tries.
Can't agree on the footwork. Barba's footwork is much better so far. Mbye can step ok but not like Barba. I agree on the other stuff (I reckon he's a bit bigger) - he'll make a good fullback. His speed and a bit of size on Barba should see him gain more ground out of the back. He does have that nice little swerve that comes out too rarely but should be perfect for fullback if he gets it right. Can't wait to see how he goes. Just hope he can catch and get in good positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.