Opinion Hypothetically Burton is our last signing for 2021 - pick your 17

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So as the title says, let's hope we sign matt Burton for next year. If he's our last signing before next season, then what's our best 17?

Mine;

1. Averillo/Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate (been a great player for us)
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. JMK
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Hethrington
15. Napa
16. Waddell (looks a powerful runner)
17. Smith

If we do sign Burton, where does Blake Green play? Blake Green is nota bad player and he might be good for Flanagans game. But how can you leave Burton out? Does Burton go into the 2nd row?
I've left out Stimson, To`omaga, Britt, Reimis Smith, Lewis and Katoa. It feels like a waste to be leaving some of these guys out but atleast we have depth.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1604663818328.png
Replace Green with Burton.
Reimis to fill in for Okunbor - ACL.
Ogden to fill in for Thompson - Suspended.

I think Doorey's unlucky to miss out. I'd throw him on the bench over Stimson but I'm not sure 20-30 minutes a game is the best thing for his development. I'm torn between swapping RFM and Hetherington as well as Jackson and Elliott to get more pace on the edges. I'm also only playing DWZ and Napa (especially) due to their pay packet. I'd have Reimis and Ogden in over them two otherwise. If we didn't get Burton we basically have to play Lewis in the halves until Green is back (if he doesn't go back to the Knights).

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
View attachment 18198

I think Doorey's unlucky to miss out. I'd throw him on the bench over Stimson but I'm not sure 20-30 minutes a game is the best thing for his development. I'm torn between swapping RFM and Hetherington as well as Jackson and Elliott to get more pace on the edges.
What do you think of Waddell? From what I’ve seen he looks like he could be a quality 2nd rower

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
stopped reading when i saw you left out to'omaga.... unforunately i was basically done by then.
He has shown glimpes of being a really good prop, would you leave Ogden out or Napa?

I wonder if Ttent Barret will rotate players in and out like Dean Pay did? Everyone got some game time under Pay

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What do you think of Waddell? From what I’ve seen he looks like he could be a quality 2nd rower
I have a similar feeling to when we signed Stimson, I'm only really throwing Waddell in the side because he's a new signing. I haven't seen enough of him to judge (looked okay at Manly the few times I watched him closely). He had a lot of wraps a few years ago but had some injuries which pushed back his development (came through with Cleary, Leota and that group). I think he'll be a good squad player but I'm not expecting much else at this stage.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
View attachment 18198

I think Doorey's unlucky to miss out. I'd throw him on the bench over Stimson but I'm not sure 20-30 minutes a game is the best thing for his development. I'm torn between swapping RFM and Hetherington as well as Jackson and Elliott to get more pace on the edges. I'm also only playing DWZ and Napa (especially) due to their pay packet. I'd have Reimis and Ogden in over them two otherwise. If we didn't get Burton we basically have to play Lewis in the halves until Green is back (if he doesn't go back to the Knights).
Now that you mention speed in the 2nd row, I can imagine it and it might be good, kind of like how penrith played. But where would RFM and Jackson go? I can’t imagine Jackson coming off the bench

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So as the title says, let's hope we sign matt Burton for next year. If he's our last signing before next season, then what's our best 17?

Mine;

1. Averillo/Meaney
2. Okunbor
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate (been a great player for us)
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. JMK
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Hethrington
15. Napa
16. Waddell (looks a powerful runner)
17. Smith

If we do sign Burton, where does Blake Green play? Blake Green is nota bad player and he might be good for Flanagans game. But how can you leave Burton out? Does Burton go into the 2nd row?
I've left out Stimson, To`omaga, Britt, Reimis Smith, Lewis and Katoa. It feels like a waste to be leaving some of these guys out but atleast we have depth.
That’s a solid line up ... love it

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Now that you mention speed in the 2nd row, I can imagine it and it might be good, kind of like how penrith played. But where would RFM and Jackson go? I can’t imagine Jackson coming off the bench
RFM prop and Jackson lock is what I was thinking.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Averillo/Meaney
2. Zelezniak (okunbor if he was fit)
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. Smith (reunite him with hoppa)
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Tolman (on a one year deal)
8. Ogden
9. King
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Hetherington
15. Napa
16. Toomaga
17. Waddell/Stimson (If you want to go big)
17. Katoa/Wakeman/BBO (if you want a utility)

we actually have some decent forwards come to think of it. So much depth players like Stimson will need to fight for a bench spot and britt dont make the cut at all (which is a good thing).

You’d hope averillo makes the transition to fullback because if we do get burton our halves are set for the year barring injury.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
1. Averillo/Meaney
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. King
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Hetherington
15. Napa
16. Toomaga

we actually have some decent forwards come to think of it. So much depth players like Stimson will need to fight for a bench spot and britt dont make the cut at all (which is a good thing).

You’d hope averillo makes the transition to fullback because if we do get burton our halves are set for the year barring injury.
Halves set for 5-10 years.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Meaney
2. R. Smith
3. DWZ
4. Hops
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Napa
9. JMK
10. RFM
11. Thompson
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. To'omaga
15. Ogden
16. Waddell
17. Averillo
Thats a good side. However I would play Cotric and DWZ as centres.
And I would prefer Ogden and Toómaga as run on props. RFM is suited to playing on the edge.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hypotheticaly

1. Averillo
2. JAC
3. Hoppa
4. Cotric
5. Okunbor
6. Burton
7. Flanno
8. Napa
9. Green
10. Toomaga
11. Jacko
12. Elliott
13. Thomo

14. RFM
15. Stimson
16. Waddell
17. Smith

I don't really like RFM on the edge, he bounces about too much and doesn't really create space on the edge for his center/winger the way K Bromwhich does.... I'd have him playing in the middle.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try this
Avo
Meaney
Cotric
Hoppa
Okunbour
Burton
Flanno
Hetherington we need grunt up front
Wakeham see how he goes at hooker
Thomo
Jackson
RFM
Elliot

JMK
Stimpson
Napa
Waddell
I'm sorry but for me the rest just don't kick it they have already had there chance with or without Barrett

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Averillo/Meaney
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Ogden
9. King
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot

14. Hetherington
15. Napa
16. Toomaga

Tolman is going to the sharks mate.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Honestly couldn't name a team right now, so much movement still still to potentially happen and we're not entirely sure what Baz wants to do. One thing that does absolutely need to happen is shifting Jackson to the middle as he's miles better there.

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I would try this
Avo
Meaney
Cotric
Hoppa
Okunbour
Burton
Flanno
Hetherington we need grunt up front
Wakeham see how he goes at hooker
Thomo
Jackson
RFM
Elliot

JMK
Stimpson
Napa
Waddell
I'm sorry but for me the rest just don't kick it they have already had there chance with or without Barrett
I like this. Further I would swap Avo and Meaney around during the game. That would be interesting for the opposition defences

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rd 1 team will be interesting to see.

1. Averillo
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. Meaney (Smith had a shit attitude last season. Needs a big pre season)
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Napa
9. JMK
10. Ogden (Thompson once suspension over)
11. Jacko
12. RFM
13 Elliot

14. Hetherington
15. To’omaga (Sitoni his new name?)
16. Stimson/ Waddel
17 Doorey/ Wakeham/ Katoa