Hypothetical if we’d kept Asotasi and O’Meley instead....

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always wondered, if we had not invested in the scum bags money grabbing arseholes Mason and $BW back when we did, and let them go to keep Asotasi and O’Meley (guys who actually loved the club) would that have changed the course of our future? I know it was a while ago, and at the time Mason and Williams were very good players, but I just wonder if building a team around better humans who loved the emblem would of changed things when adding Morris, Ennis , Staggs and co.

Maybe another premiership there?? Who knows?

Also, may have effected Souths ability to recruit the way they did without Roy....

Just a flash back question given all the negativity around us at the moment. Something else to chat about....

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We punted Folkes after one horrible season 08 we should have persevere with him instead of sacking him folkes had a great record with us 08 injury’s and several players leaving did not help.
But like it or not he was out most successful coach in. The nrl period

Last edited:

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always wondered, if we had not invested in the scum bags money grabbing arseholes Mason and $BW back when we did, and let them go to keep Asotasi and O’Meley (guys who actually loved the club) would that have changed the course of our future? I know it was a while ago, and at the time Mason and Williams were very good players, but I just wonder if building a team around better humans who loved the emblem would of changed things when adding Morris, Ennis , Staggs and co.

Also, may have effected Souths ability to recruit the way they did without Roy....

Just a flash back question given all the negativity around us at the moment. Something else to chat about....
Our last premiership was when we had a quality HB at their peak in Sherwin. Since then we've had dud halves or halves well past their peak or injury prone (BK and Foran). Even with a top quality forward pack in 2012 to around 2016 we still fell short because our halves could not deliver even when our forwards consistently gifted them field possession.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It all started in 2002 when we were stripped 37 competition points and fined $500,000, we haven't recovered. lol
Mostly, 12/14 although it wasn’t a recovery , was still very impressive. We were almost unstoppable every game.!!

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only changes anything if it led to no Des
It’s taken allot longer than it should for everyone to see how much of a fraud Des was/is. The only good management decision he made at the club was refusing to Pay overs for Renyolds when he was demanding minimum of $850k a season to re sign. He’s a real shocker old Des

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

In hindsight we definitely made some wrong choices. O'Meley still had a lot to give, but was offered far better money by the Roosters. I don't blame him for looking after himself and his family. And according to stories I've read Folkes told him at the time that he should look after his family. Asotasi proved to be less injury prone and a far better person. Would have been wiser to have built our forward pack around Asotasi at the time despite the fact that Money Bill was an exciting prospect. Asotasi moving to the Bunnies supposedly gave them some framework for how they worked at training and in play and helped them immensely.

It's hard to say what difference it would have made in the short to mid term. I think that the more telling thing was that the board at the time fell on their sword over the cap cheating. It led to us going into a period where we didn't have the right people in the front office. we still had decent juniors coming through for a while until Greenburg decided that funding a healthy juniors system was a waste of money. Over the course of a few years this in turn led to a point where we had to overpay for moderate quality where we would have bought similar quality juniors through in previous years.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Injury’s killed us in 08 bad plus inspite of money bill did Toulon put some mammoth cash on the table for him can’t blame him get 500k to be a bulldogs or 1.3 1.4 million a year with conversations to play union
Plus Sherwood had lost his way plus a lot of the them players took unders to be together snd a lot of them who left got offered a lot to leave too

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our last premiership was when we had a quality HB at their peak in Sherwin. Since then we've had dud halves or halves well past their peak or injury prone (BK and Foran). Even with a top quality forward pack in 2012 to around 2016 we still fell short because our halves could not deliver even when our forwards consistently gifted them field possession.
...we should have signed Sezer. He would have been solid for us over many years. He was local junior....huge mistake not signing him

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...we should have signed Sezer. He would have been solid for us over many years. He was local junior....huge mistake not signing him
that one is on Kevin Moore... the Sezers did not like what they heard from Moore about staying at Belmore and looked elsewhere

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Willie mason was a Churchill medalist and one of the best forwards to ever play for the club. SBW is a legend in both codes and if the club had let him go amicably, we could have had him play for us again down the track and probably contributed to another premiership. Staggs was a dud btw. We've got to get out of the mentality of praising pluggers who offer no go forward. We've also got to get out of the habit of bagging club legends like mason

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree that we lacked a good halfback in that period you mentioned but please don’t forget the stellar season Kimmorley had in 2009.

Malla

Reaction score
Nothing changes
Only thing that would’ve changed history is if we kept JT over Anasta and Shifty