Hunt chase puts Flanagan in no-win situation

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ben Hunt is likely to be just one of the halfbacks the Bulldogs speak to as they accelerate their quest to land a No.7 and No.1 in the coming months.

It’s an open secret the Bulldogs are looking to offload Kyle Flanagan, but even if they can’t, it appears they will bring someone in over the top of him.

Fullback is also a priority and the Dogs will examine prospective No.1s carefully. They have already been linked to Penrith’s Stephen Crichton, who has played predominantly as a centre, but has had impressive stints at fullback.

Hunt’s meeting with Canterbury on Friday is an interesting one. It comes on the back of revelations on Channel Nine that he has been made a very low offer by the Dragons.

“Yes, I met with Ben and his manager,” Bulldogs general manager of football Phil Gould told me. “He is a very impressive person, but at no point did we talk about an offer or money. It was a conversation to get to know him. I simply said if things don’t work out we’d like to chat to him then.

“We are after a halfback and a fullback. Ben Hunt is an obvious choice and he has a lot of the qualities a club looks for.”

The Bulldogs’ interest puts pressure on the Dragons to act on their star halfback. If Hunt does
re-sign with St George Illawarra, Canterbury will most likely target his understudy, Jayden Sullivan.

There is another element to this story: the man managing the Dragons’ salary cap and recruitment is Shane Flanagan, the father of Kyle, the player the Bulldogs are trying to replace. It appears to be a lose-lose-lose situation for Flanagan snr. If he signs Hunt and doesn’t let Sullivan go, he will have a disgruntled player at his club. If he signs Hunt and lets Sullivan go, his son will be on the outer at Canterbury. And if he doesn’t sign Hunt, who is off contract at the end of 2023, he may go to the Bulldogs and replace his son anyway. This relates to a story we broke earlier this year where we revealed Canterbury were proposing a swap deal, Sullivan for Flanagan. It didn’t happen.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flano needs to go the Super League or reserve grade again to develop his game. I don't see the use in us pursuing Hunt when he's going to be 34 by 2024 unless there's a chance he's going to get an early release but why would the Dragons do that when he was one of the best players in the comp this year plus we couldn't afford him for next year. Our priority has to be Mitchell Moses with maybe Crichton for fullback. We desperately need a prop too. Maybe Lodge or Spencer Leniu

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"the man managing the Dragons’ salary cap and recruitment is Shane Flanagan"
Who wrote this article? Is this factual?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More like the Bulldogs have been in a no-win situation with Flanagan in the team..

I'm sick of all of the media attention such an average player attracts. Every article is a sob story about how he deserves better when the truth is, he's been lucky to play so much FG with us.. Thankfully he's likely to be moved on after this season as Gus is going all out to find other options.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Flanno has not improved 1 area of his ability as a halfback in the entire time he has played at the dogs.
I do not understand how you can work somewhere for 2 years and not improve in any area?
I disagree - his defence has improved a little. So instead of being completely useless he's now a ordinary Lachlan Lewis.

I'll show myself out the door....

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
These negotiations are smart by the club, Dragons are in a major pickle with players, coaching staff and recruitment and we are just picking off the good stuff from them. Also Fuck the Flanagans, super glad they are in deep shit. Biggest fraud combination in the NRL.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A person with a seeing eye dog could see what play he intends to do. HE never goes within 8 feet of the defensive line and he doesnt even look at what the "heads up" situation is when he makes a play. He is literally one of the worst halfbacks we have ever had in my 50+ years of watching the dogs.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A person with a seeing eye dog could see what play he intends to do. HE never goes within 8 feet of the defensive line and he doesnt even look at what the "heads up" situation is when he makes a play. He is literally one of the worst halfbacks we have ever had in my 50+ years of watching the dogs.
..and it all in slow motion. The fact he has played 50 games of NRL with that skillset is s disgrace.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
"the man managing the Dragons’ salary cap and recruitment is Shane Flanagan"
Who wrote this article? Is this factual?
Probably not exclusively but yes he’s involved in the Steelers roster management, which was the role he took on after finishing as an assistant coach to Mary. But Hook’s assistant coaches were recently punted (for 2023) so who knows what’s going on there. At least our club isn’t the only one with serious issues.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The fact that Gus has come out and said he spoke to Hunt probably means he is deflecting attention and it’s someone totally different.

As long as Flanno sits in reserve grade in 23 or plays elsewhere it’s totally fine by me.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fact that Gus has come out and said he spoke to Hunt probably means he is deflecting attention and it’s someone totally different.

As long as Flanno sits in reserve grade in 23 or plays elsewhere it’s totally fine by me.
Gus and his games is a welcome distraction from that rubbish yesterday. Its like Flanno gets worse the more he plays

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably not exclusively but yes he’s involved in the Steelers roster management, which was the role he took on after finishing as an assistant coach to Mary. But Hook’s assistant coaches were recently punted (for 2023) so who knows what’s going on there. At least our club isn’t the only one with serious issues.
Ahh that makes sense then. I had no idea he was involved with Saints.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Interesting note on this, Danny Weidler reported this article. Danny and Gus are close with Channel 9 links and i think is really the only journo who wouldn’t shit talk Gus or spread bs about him. Come Nov 1 we have probably the second most cap space out of any other team for off contract 2023’s in which include spine players like D brown, Moses, Hastings, Munster, Hunt, Latrell, Doeuhi, Drinkwater. Then we move to the props in which includes a list of Klemmer, Tapine, Radley, Tom Flegler, Tom Burgess, NAS. Expect heaps of movement and player links this off season. Its gonna be a big one i feel with how 2021 miserably turned out. Ciraldo, Gus and Khoury can attract players

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree - his defence has improved a little. So instead of being completely useless he's now a ordinary Lachlan Lewis.

I'll show myself out the door....
Soo your saying he should be moved to lock?
Lmao