How wild Andrew Fifita rumour could trigger a chain player swap in crazy NRL market

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
  • January 16, 2020 8:44am
  • by Staff writers
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Could Andrew Fifita shift up north and join the Gold Coast Titans?Source: Getty Images
Cronulla and the Gold Coast have both played down the latest rumour sweeping the NRL — that Sharks prop Andrew Fifita could be on his way to the Titans to trigger a domino-like effect of player moves ahead of the 2020 season.
The Daily Telegraph reported on Wednesday night it had been mooted that the Sharks could be willing to offload Fifita in order to ease their salary cap concerns.

Cronulla has been operating under a tight cap since adding Matt Moylan and Shaun Johnson to its squad, and it’s believed to still be an issue despite the loss of Paul Gallen (retirement), Matt Prior (Super League) and Kyle Flanagan (Sydney Roosters) following last season.

If Fifita were to join the Titans, that could allow Jai Arrow to move to Souths a season early before his four-year, $3.2 million deal at the Bunnies kicks in.

In turn, the Rabbitohs could then release utility back Adam Doueihi to possibly join Wests Tigers after having signed Latrell Mitchell on Monday ostensibly to fill the fullback role.

And there’s rumours persisting that Josh Addo-Carr could end up at the Roosters, possibly even before his agreed 2021 exit from the Storm if they receive a similar player in return.

However, Sharks coach John Morris declared his team is “not pushing anyone out the door” and said it was, if anything, looking at adding to its middle-forward depth after losing Prior.

For his part, Gold Coast culture boss Mal Meninga denied the Titans were willing to let go of Arrow.

“But that’s a new one for me,” Meninga told The Telegraph of the Fifita rumour. “It’s a beauty but no, we are staying with Jai for 2020. There are no advancements at all to be honest with you.”

That could change if Gold Coast was to receive Tino Fa’asuamaleaui a season early after having signed the boom Storm forward on a bumper contract from 2021, but Melbourne is currently refusing to countenance releasing him from the final year of his contract.

One player who could be forced to cut short his stay at his current club is Doueihi. The young Rabbitohs gun is the player most likely to be affected by Mitchell’s recruitment.
As a Balmain junior, he has been linked with a switch to the Tigers, who are angling for the Bunnies to foot some of the $500,000 cost of his deal, something Souths aren’t keen on.

But it’s been reported that Souths coach Wayne Bennett has told Doueihi that it’s in his best interests to move on if he wants to cement a regular NRL starting position. It’s a bitter blow for the Lebanon international after he starred at fullback in the back half of the last campaign and had trained in the position during this pre-season before Mitchell landed at Redfern.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is fucking ridiculous. Whatever happened to honoring a contract? One player retires in the off-season (Burgess) and it triggers a freaking player merry-go-round.

And SURPRISE SURPRISE... Roosters are now favorites for Addo-Carr. I have a lot of respect for Addo-Carr, but that will go if he sells his soul to the chooks.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mal has become somewhat of a meme but gotta give credit to the guy for putting his foot down on the Jai situation.. if it were pre Mal, Jai would be training with Souths by now, with the best case scenario being Titans receiving one of Souffs' rejects

regarding Fifita.. if there is any truth to this, I don't think it's that bad of a thing for Cronulla... he has become injury prone and inconsistent.. it might put them out short term but they have a fairly young squad and need to look to the future

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fifita is cooked the Titans are crazy even thinking about it!

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is fucking ridiculous. Whatever happened to honoring a contract? One player retires in the off-season (Burgess) and it triggers a freaking player merry-go-round.

And SURPRISE SURPRISE... Roosters are now favorites for Addo-Carr. I have a lot of respect for Addo-Carr, but that will go if he sells his soul to the chooks.
honestly if you were JAC would you go Roosters or Dogs ? most players would not go to the Dogs TBH

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
honestly if you were JAC would you go Roosters or Dogs ? most players would not go to the Dogs TBH
Drive to Bondi everyday and have soy boy latte's and cop shit for the rest of my life from those close to me? DOGS by a country mile!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would the Tigers be releasing Doueihi now that they missed out on Latrell? Seems weird to include that in the article.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Riiight. that makes sense.
actually wouldn't be a bad pickup for someone.. thought he was one of their better performers at the end of the season and is only 21... injury prone though which will be his issue come negotiations

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
actually wouldn't be a bad pickup for someone.. thought he was one of their better performers at the end of the season and is only 21... injury prone though which will be his issue come negotiations
He showed a lot last season, agreed. Besides injuries possibly the other problems is where do you play him? He might be destined to be a utility "mr fix it" player, bouncing between clubs.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Doueihi 500k :tonguewink:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Doueihi is on $500k some of the others must be on $120k... that’s got to be a mistake... lost interest in the article when I couldn’t see us linked to anyone :tongueclosed:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Drive to Bondi everyday and have soy boy latte's and cop shit for the rest of my life from those close to me? DOGS by a country mile!
take a step back Andy
The world isn't how you see it

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Addo carr will prob end up at the roosters and wel get the scraps what a fkn joke this club has become.