News How two minutes of Sweet Caroline ruined remorseful Bulldog's career

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Asipeli Fine would give anything to get them back – those two minutes that changed everything.

“It did break me,” Fine said. “Seeing all that stuff, making fun of that moment, the song being played – it got really annoying, especially on social media. I pretty much deactivated for a couple of weeks. I just couldn’t handle it.

“They took it out of context. It was a two-minute thing from all of the hours we were there. It was pretty much spur of the moment. I can’t get it back.”

Fine mess: Asipeli Fine is looking for a club after being dropped for 2019 by the Bulldogs.Dominic Lorrimer

The two minutes Fine refers to what unfolded during Canterbury’s Mad Monday celebrations in early September. The Bulldogs gathered at the Harbour View Hotel at the Rocks for their traditional season-ending bonding session. The majority of the players rarely drink during the premiership campaign but, with their season over, took the opportunity to let off some steam.

“It was a long season and we get that one time to let our hair down, especially with a couple of guys we won’t play with again,” Fine said.

“We thought we were in a safe environment because it was a private function. It’s meant to just be a group of us and no one from the public around, especially cameras and that.

“Things panned out different.”

In the thick of the action: Asipeli Fine takes on the Panthers in round eight of last season.NRL Imagery

Unbeknown to the Bulldogs, their skylarking was being captured for posterity via the telephoto lenses of a media outlet. Fine and teammate Adam Elliott woke up the next morning to find themselves splashed across the front page of The Daily Telegraph, dancing nude to the strains of Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline.

“I’ve woken up when my missus called me,” Fine said. “She said, 'You’re all over the news'. I’ve seen the pictures and I just thought, how could they have taken those pictures from street level, you can’t see up there?

“She knows what I’m like, I’m pretty quiet, I keep to myself. She knew straight away when she saw the news that my head space would be pretty crap.

Of course you get emotional when you have your rear end on the news.

Asipeli Fine
“Everyone got emotional. Of course you get emotional when you have your rear end on the news.

“To have just a one or two-minute thing, it made me look like I’ve been in a bad light my whole playing career.

“Most of all, I felt bad for my parents. Within the Tongan community, everyone talks. The last thing I wanted is for people to say that my parents raised me wrong.

“That’s what really broke me. My dad went quiet for a couple of days. It was pretty heartbreaking.”

Fine was not a public figure before this. His NRL career had consisted of just 13 appearances for Wests Tigers and Canterbury. Still living with his parents and his grandmother at the age of 26, he was building a footballing career with the responsibility of being the main breadwinner for his family. It was Fine’s way of paying back his parents for all the sacrifices they made to give him and his sister a better life after they arrived from Tonga in 1989.

“Once I played footy, I put the emphasis on me to pay back my parents and make sure I look after them,” he said.

“I’ve been the main [income earner] in the household for ages now. I felt like I’ve let my family down without footy being there, because that was the main income.”

In isolation, the fallout from Mad Monday was enough to leave Fine at breaking point. Yet a few days later, worse was to come. Playing for Canterbury’s NSW Cup side, the former Tongan international was involved in a sickening collision that left him with a dislocated hip and fractured pelvis. Medicos described the injuries as akin to those sustained in a car accident and the initial prognosis was they were career-ending.

Down and out: Fine is carried off after suffering a serious injury late in the season.NRL Imagery

The timing couldn’t be worse: the Mad Monday incident continued to make headlines; Fine was in hospital as his Bulldogs NSW Cup side marched towards grand final glory; and his contract was about to expire.

“Mentally, I was pretty much living in hell on Earth,” Fine said.

The Bulldogs recently released their 29-man squad for next season. Fine wasn’t a part of it. He remains clubless, but is adamant his career isn’t over. The rugged forward has stunned doctors with the speed of his recovery, resulting in him being available for pre-season training if a club is prepared to give him another opportunity.

In the interim, he is putting his certificate IV in community services to good use; last week he was back in Belmore to help run a clinic for disabled children.

“It’s encouraging to be able to show the public how much of a wonderful man he is,” said Fine’s high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri.

“The fact is that two minutes of locker-room antics, essentially in a situation where he had no idea anyone was watching, have led to his family suffering substantially, him suffering substantially and, ultimately, jeopardising his future.”

Most of all, Fine doesn’t want what happened on that Monday night in September to be how he is remembered.

“Now the situation I’m in with no club, it’s affected my footy career,” he said. “I would give everything to have it back; just to save my family the embarrassment.

“I just need that opportunity [to play football] again and I’ll take it with both hands.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...0QsAtE0Px-lXlyX1ojUk7ebGvi70eg_RgwpzodZBB1asE

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeh I bet these journos feel like shit now putting a bloke out of work , not sure why fine does not go down the defamation line and claim punitive damages as he cannot secure a new contract in light of this debacle

Reactions: DT

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's funny, in this country and in this sport we pretend to give a shit about mental health but the media and some people have no issue destroying someone's life over a private party that hurt absolutely no one to satisfy their disdain for the Bulldogs jersey.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yeh I bet these journos feel like shit now putting a bloke out of work , not sure why fine does not go down the defamation line and claim punitive damages as he cannot secure a new contract in light of this debacle
These demon ***** don't care bro.

All scum *****, I hope karma visits them soon and demolishes them.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's these times that I'm so glad that I did all of my really stupid shit before the internet/smartphone age. Especially as someone who lived in an all male college on campus...

Ok, i wasn't destined for an NRL career, but I definitely wouldn't want to un for higher office. Singing Sweet Caroline in the nude was pretty tame TBH.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are loaded in the back row and you can’t just be giving out sympathy contracts.
Correct , I believe fine was not going to be re~signed prior to all this however he was ISP player at best fringe first grade no harm keeping around and as touched on above the club should be looking into his welfare ,here's a bloke willing to play and is not going down the compo , stress leave line people would go down in the corporate world

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought we are the family club he's a better signing then foran is yet we keep him

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Absolute disgrace that this poor guy got shamed in his family/community fucking pathetic media really hope he gets a big payday in eng

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious question how does the club deal with injured players on expiring deals? Does your treatment stop in November?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's funny, in this country and in this sport we pretend to give a shit about mental health but the media and some people have no issue destroying someone's life over a private party that hurt absolutely no one to satisfy their disdain for the Bulldogs jersey.
The media take the pics but it's the nrl who choose to punish them. The NRL handled that without objectivity .

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fine was actually going really wel at the back end of the season. Valuable player should be picked up by someone. He had a nasty injury in the semi which is why people are shy to pick him up

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how Andrew Johns can play his whole career high, call GI a black ****, appear on live television off his face and make unwanted advances to a mother in front of her kids while barely able to stand he was so smashed and still be “revered” and a guy like fine’s career is effectively over from what was basically a nudie run at a private function ?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how Andrew Johns can play his whole career high, call GI a black ****, appear on live television off his face and make unwanted advances to a mother in front of her kids while barely able to stand he was so smashed and still be “revered” and a guy like fine’s career is effectively over from what was basically a nudie run at a private function ?
And the back of Greenberg's throat is still bruised after praising that drink driving woman basher from souths...

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The media take the pics but it's the nrl who choose to punish them. The NRL handled that without objectivity .
I hold anyone associated with the media in the same regard as murderers, rapists and pedophiles. They destroy lives for their own agenda. Fuck them all.

DogBreath

New Pup
Reaction score
Asipeli Fine would give anything to get them back – those two minutes that changed everything.

“It did break me,” Fine said. “Seeing all that stuff, making fun of that moment, the song being played – it got really annoying, especially on social media. I pretty much deactivated for a couple of weeks. I just couldn’t handle it.

“They took it out of context. It was a two-minute thing from all of the hours we were there. It was pretty much spur of the moment. I can’t get it back.”

Fine mess: Asipeli Fine is looking for a club after being dropped for 2019 by the Bulldogs.Dominic Lorrimer

The two minutes Fine refers to what unfolded during Canterbury’s Mad Monday celebrations in early September. The Bulldogs gathered at the Harbour View Hotel at the Rocks for their traditional season-ending bonding session. The majority of the players rarely drink during the premiership campaign but, with their season over, took the opportunity to let off some steam.

“It was a long season and we get that one time to let our hair down, especially with a couple of guys we won’t play with again,” Fine said.

“We thought we were in a safe environment because it was a private function. It’s meant to just be a group of us and no one from the public around, especially cameras and that.

“Things panned out different.”

In the thick of the action: Asipeli Fine takes on the Panthers in round eight of last season.NRL Imagery

Unbeknown to the Bulldogs, their skylarking was being captured for posterity via the telephoto lenses of a media outlet. Fine and teammate Adam Elliott woke up the next morning to find themselves splashed across the front page of The Daily Telegraph, dancing nude to the strains of Neil Diamond’s Sweet Caroline.

“I’ve woken up when my missus called me,” Fine said. “She said, 'You’re all over the news'. I’ve seen the pictures and I just thought, how could they have taken those pictures from street level, you can’t see up there?

“She knows what I’m like, I’m pretty quiet, I keep to myself. She knew straight away when she saw the news that my head space would be pretty crap.

Of course you get emotional when you have your rear end on the news.

Asipeli Fine
“Everyone got emotional. Of course you get emotional when you have your rear end on the news.

“To have just a one or two-minute thing, it made me look like I’ve been in a bad light my whole playing career.

“Most of all, I felt bad for my parents. Within the Tongan community, everyone talks. The last thing I wanted is for people to say that my parents raised me wrong.

“That’s what really broke me. My dad went quiet for a couple of days. It was pretty heartbreaking.”

Fine was not a public figure before this. His NRL career had consisted of just 13 appearances for Wests Tigers and Canterbury. Still living with his parents and his grandmother at the age of 26, he was building a footballing career with the responsibility of being the main breadwinner for his family. It was Fine’s way of paying back his parents for all the sacrifices they made to give him and his sister a better life after they arrived from Tonga in 1989.

“Once I played footy, I put the emphasis on me to pay back my parents and make sure I look after them,” he said.

“I’ve been the main [income earner] in the household for ages now. I felt like I’ve let my family down without footy being there, because that was the main income.”

In isolation, the fallout from Mad Monday was enough to leave Fine at breaking point. Yet a few days later, worse was to come. Playing for Canterbury’s NSW Cup side, the former Tongan international was involved in a sickening collision that left him with a dislocated hip and fractured pelvis. Medicos described the injuries as akin to those sustained in a car accident and the initial prognosis was they were career-ending.

Down and out: Fine is carried off after suffering a serious injury late in the season.NRL Imagery

The timing couldn’t be worse: the Mad Monday incident continued to make headlines; Fine was in hospital as his Bulldogs NSW Cup side marched towards grand final glory; and his contract was about to expire.

“Mentally, I was pretty much living in hell on Earth,” Fine said.

The Bulldogs recently released their 29-man squad for next season. Fine wasn’t a part of it. He remains clubless, but is adamant his career isn’t over. The rugged forward has stunned doctors with the speed of his recovery, resulting in him being available for pre-season training if a club is prepared to give him another opportunity.

In the interim, he is putting his certificate IV in community services to good use; last week he was back in Belmore to help run a clinic for disabled children.

“It’s encouraging to be able to show the public how much of a wonderful man he is,” said Fine’s high-profile lawyer, Elias Tabchouri.

“The fact is that two minutes of locker-room antics, essentially in a situation where he had no idea anyone was watching, have led to his family suffering substantially, him suffering substantially and, ultimately, jeopardising his future.”

Most of all, Fine doesn’t want what happened on that Monday night in September to be how he is remembered.

“Now the situation I’m in with no club, it’s affected my footy career,” he said. “I would give everything to have it back; just to save my family the embarrassment.

“I just need that opportunity [to play football] again and I’ll take it with both hands.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...0QsAtE0Px-lXlyX1ojUk7ebGvi70eg_RgwpzodZBB1asE
Club should have responded with this type of article when the incident happened to support the players and put it in the right context.

Hopefully that cockroach photographer will get his karma. Imagine all the corrupt shit that goes on in these media outlets and they want to play the moral high ground all the time. Makes me sick.

Makes you want to start your own paper and just follow these cockroaches around and publish their sick little secrets and see how they feel when they wake up in the morning on the front page.