How to spend Mbye's cash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Does the little turd still call it inside mail or whatever garbage he used to say?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best recruitment strategy is probably just waiting for players to come to the market and spending/gambling on youngsters. Keep the warchest there.

The only problem is we risk overpaying for someone when they do come up, as it is likely we’ll be facing multiple bids. But that is always the case anyway.

I think we will be competitive in 2020. I have no faith in Meaney and cogger. I think they’ll flop and pay will get his arse on the street in 2019.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well he does love a good lie. Doubt it though as i don't see how lies would help or be allowed in that situation.
Could be that just wants to keep the narrative as it is to avoid new talk and new disruptions. Negotiations are done behind closed doors.

Really if you look at our players and add up the salaries individually, even with the big names on a mil, you will struggle to get to the cap limit.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It has already been added up according to Hill, that is the point a few of you guys are missing.
Oh wow did not know that...well I guess that is why they pushed Mbye out so quick.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Could be that just wants to keep the narrative as it is to avoid new talk and new disruptions. Negotiations are done behind closed doors.

Really if you look at our players and add up the salaries individually, even with the big names on a mil, you will struggle to get to the cap limit.
I don't know, Greenburger was there and you'd think he wouldn't let the club flat out like about the clubs position. I do think the club leakes the bs cap info tonthe media in the lead up the the meeting.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman, Klemmer, Jackson & Hoppa are contracted till the end of 2020.

If Eastwood's last year was backended at 850k i do not want to know what these other 4 blokes have been backended to.

Looks like we are trying to release as much as possible now, to frontload these salaries so we are active at the end of 2019 for 2020, instead of 2021 as there is a heap of talent coming off contract next year and players will be quickly snapped up.

Next year we have Lichaa, Fualalo, Tualalo and Brown off contract so that should release hopefully $1m in total

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With $800-$900k now available if you were the boss how would you spend it?

With Cogger and Meaney on their way to the club it is obvious that we see them 2 as the future 7 and 1. This still leaves 6 and 9 as a priority. With that in mind we could buy 2 players of around $400k each for 6 and 9, or put faith in the halves we have at the moment in Lewis, Frawley and JMK, to compliment Cogger, and go all out for a hooker. $800k for Cook (even though we could've kept him for much less) seems to me to be the best way to spend the cash. I would love a Rockstar fullback or Cleary, but in reality at this point, unless we can medically retire Foran and have an extra million to spend it is only 1 player we can buy. If we free up Foran's money then I would go all out for Cleary. In my opinion no other 7 or 9 are worth the money, even though they would all be better than what we currently have in those 2 positions.

For the record, despite his drop in form I would keep Woods. We will need his size and leadership when we have no experience in our spine next year. Mbye's and Foran's money should be enough for us to fill our 7 and 9. The positions we desperately need filled.

Thoughts?
You are assuming tigers are paying his full salary

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the salary cap is a fucking joke it has never worked and will never work i dont care what anyone says

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thinking out of the box a bit, Cam Smith still has not resigned with Melbourne. If Bellamy goes he has no reason to stay so if u could get him at a good price for a year or two with no rep football might be worth doing. Means u can bring in some younger halves who he can teach game management to(since he is pretty much onfield coach at Melbourne)
Won’t happen, but he’s pretty much the only high profile player I’d bring to the club. He definitely won’t be a dud like Cronk or Foran.

You know you’ll be getting your monies worth with him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely mbye leaving half way through year frees up approx $300-$400k surely some players are getting extra this year so we have more next year

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely mbye leaving half way through year frees up approx $300-$400k surely some players are getting extra this year so we have more next year
I think the Tigers are paying zero $$ for MBye for this year.

That was the deal so they pick up his full contract from next year on.

We should be locking up Lewis & Martin who as yet are not signed.

Then sit back and wait and see who comes on the market.

Sign young potential players cheaper.

Our situation isn’t going to be solved in a year. We need to build slowly. Or we will become another Parramatta. Forever chasing.

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Junior will be great buy, his still off contract for next year & beyond

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What people are not getting here is that we are not an attractive place to come to at the moment. Just ask Woods and Foran. Not to mention we have a rookie coach that will hardly attract any top line talent. Therefore we will need to pay overs for a while until we become a force again. We are in a vicious circle.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tevita Pangai Junior will be great buy, his still off contract for next year & beyond
He will re-sign with the Broncos, to a long term contract.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to have a hooker that can read the game and direct the ball to whichever direction looks less well defended throughout the game. I honestly don't care if they have a good running game. It can be a helpful attribute, but is over-rated by many people as far as I'm concerned. Secondly I think we need to ensure whoever plays in the 7 has an above average kicking game as well as game reading ability to make it more likely to finish sets well. I'd be happy if we spend the next three years adjusting our wings and centres, but by ensuring we're able to start every play a little better with a good hooker, and end them better with a half that has the vision and skills to create prolonged periods where we apply pressure and earn some repeat sets we'd be much better off. When our current drop of players end their contracts we can start trying to spend a little more on other positions, but for now I think we'd be best served by getting the playmaking positions sorted out with some people in key positions that make the right choices more often than not. With the lower money recruits I'd look for people who provide great support play even if they're not the biggest or best athletes. I think at times a lot of tries can go begging because we lack some people that support every half chance.

I bet Mbye has a man of the match parting gift performance for us tomorrow ‍♂
I'd almost bet my arse that Mbye will play to the fullness of his ability and apply some effort every time he plays against us for the next few years and never when he's not playing against us.

the salary cap is a fucking joke it has never worked and will never work i dont care what anyone says
It's a very poor idea for the NRL to try to supplement teams that aren't financially stable by hindering clubs that are. If they had any sense they'd work hard at ensuring that every club funneled more cash into development systems and allowed free reign with spending for the NRL. So many players that were attributes to the NRL have left the game because they displayed enough ability to boost their price tags beyond manageable levels for many clubs. I think a situation has grown where many clubs scramble madly to recruit emerging players now because in reality you might have two years where player managers need their young charges to establish themselves before they can chase big money for them. So clubs that do put in the finances and effort into building gun lower grades usually end up having to make some tough decisions about who they're going to keep and elevate. We've failed badly here in the past few years.

The salary cap has created a lack of player loyalty which I think reduces the amount of emotion that fans can have long term for their team. You pretty much know now that if a player bursts onto the scene at NRL level they're going to mess with the emotions of the fans that actually provide the demand for them to earn their wages as they chase the money elsewhere. 20 years ago I had some emotional investment in monitoring how our youngsters progressed. Now I know that there is a big chance that they will move on when the time is right and they get a decent financial offer from a lazy club that doesn't bother to plan long term.

Even if they modified the salary cap to allow teams to pay as much as they wanted to their players that have served a set number of years in a single teams junior systems it would be a big improvement. That way you wouldn't see clubs pretty much punished by losing good young players as soon as they become NRL ready because other teams neglected their development systems. I'm thinking about examples like the cowboys losing Ponga from their system to a cashed up club that didn't manage their salary caps well. If they allowed every club to keep say 5 juniors on a contract with cap exemption it would mean that more clubs would work harder at bringing the best of their players through the system. I look at how guys like SBW and Barba created some ill will to our fans due to how they left the club and think they might have been more likely to give a shit about the club that gave them their starts if it meant they could potentially have been on wages that were significantly better than they could realistically earn elsewhere as they were exempt from the cap. This system right now seems pretty poorly created to allow clubs to put in minimal effort to build teams that might shine short term, where once the better clubs aimed to build a dynasty.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the Tigers are paying zero $$ for MBye for this year.

That was the deal so they pick up his full contract from next year on.

We should be locking up Lewis & Martin who as yet are not signed.

Then sit back and wait and see who comes on the market.

Sign young potential players cheaper.

Our situation isn’t going to be solved in a year. We need to build slowly. Or we will become another Parramatta. Forever chasing.
I sincerely doubt that

Status
Not open for further replies.