How the NRL have fckd up RL

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Someone posted a thread about pet hates - for me its RL atm - its not the game I remember growing up with anymore. Why? Thought I take a trip down memory lane.

Storm come into the comp in 1998. They do ok picking over the carcasses of other expansion teams until Bellamy comes on board in 2003. Shortly after, they get done for operating under the salary cap sombrero - so Bellamy is looking for an edge. In come BJJ tactics for slowing down play the balls. The league try to slowly crack down on it but the storm make it an art form. Some of the more dangerous elements get punished (i.e. the chicken wing) but it gradually spreads across the NRL. We suddenly have a new term in rucks - winning the wrestle.

They also decide that the wrestle isn't a quality product, so in response, the NRL starts policing the ruck further (i.e. 2 refs). They also decide in the spirit of speeding the game up that they will invent a new principle, a forward pass isn't forward if the hands go back. This in turn had led to flat ruck play and a real go forward mentality. In response to the extra speed, guys were using shoulders in tackles as 1) fairly hard to stop a 120kg guy with momentum and 2) a good shoulder has been part of RL since day dot. The extra speed and impacts were awesome however it in turn has led to increased damage from head shots.

So in the NRL's wisdom, they banned the shoulder charge. Fair enough, don't want too many mentally f'kd up ex-footballers. This has expanded further into any contact with the head. FFS - you have a speed machine like Tedesco coming at you and just b4 impact, he falls to his knees. WTF are you meant to do? There was a time when an around the ankles tackle was the epitome of quality defence (and the safest). You tackle someone around the ankles and you will be guaranteed the other team gets a quick play the ball or a 6er. No one does it unless they have to.

The best teams now are the ones that adjust to rule changes the quickest - not the best footballers. Its why the storm and roosters can take absolute donkeys and turn them into first class players.

So, the NRL have fixed shit by changing rules which in turn have caused more issues. Here are my fixes for RL.
1) Police forward passes. The EPL can pick up an offside by drawing a line across the field and if your foreskin is over the line, its offside. Yet apparently we cannot do this for RL. The lack of forward pass policing has made ordinary footballers look awesome (looking at you Cam Smith)
2) Any 1 on 1 bootlace tackle, you're allowed to go to marker before they can play the ball, this will encourage the low tackle and people to get away from the head.
3) Any ruck infringement on zero or the 1st tackle is a penalty, not a six again. Whats the point of a 6er on the first - you'd rather the territory
4) Unless someone is unconscious, play does not stop for an injured player. Give trainers green whistles but I'm over a trainer using injuries as an excuse to stop play.

OK - rant over. Back to beer and beef cheeks :grinning:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both Melbourne & St.George-Illawarra being new teams were allowed extra salary cap in 1999 which coincided with them both being in the GF that year.

The forward pass rule for my understanding has always been the ball must travel backwards initially because of physics, but the problem is that the officials forgot to watch the hands & only watch the path the ball takes.

Melbourne a& all their wresting techniques should have been jumped on much earlier & they should have been told ANY dirty play will lead to massive Jim Comans like suspensions, but weak NRL leadership let that go.

The end for the shoulder charge came because somebody died:

so you can sort of understand that one even though the tackle in question hit the deceased in the chest.

I think the 2 referees could have worked if the administrators were smart. Each week the referees were paired with different people. They should have had refereeing teams so they could get consistent with the decision making.

They have recently said that it doesn't matter if a player is dropping when you tackle them, it is up to the tackler to adjust for that. How do you adjust for 1/3 of a second? Nobody has that reaction time. They should have been watching the AFL & seen what players like Joel Selwood did to gain free kicks.

I agree with your points 2 & 3 as well. The salary cap is another bugbear. They had it almost right at the beginning (you know when the Raiders were double their salary cap & won a premiership). They had different salary caps for each team depending on their spending ability. If they had just had the same cap for everybody without the ad-ons it may have worked. Now the 6 again & the sinbin / send off crap has made it worse.

Get more ex-footballers on the commission. Maybe have different commissions - 1 for finance & another for football.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone posted a thread about pet hates - for me its RL atm - its not the game I remember growing up with anymore. Why? Thought I take a trip down memory lane.

Storm come into the comp in 1998. They do ok picking over the carcasses of other expansion teams until Bellamy comes on board in 2003. Shortly after, they get done for operating under the salary cap sombrero - so Bellamy is looking for an edge. In come BJJ tactics for slowing down play the balls. The league try to slowly crack down on it but the storm make it an art form. Some of the more dangerous elements get punished (i.e. the chicken wing) but it gradually spreads across the NRL. We suddenly have a new term in rucks - winning the wrestle.

They also decide that the wrestle isn't a quality product, so in response, the NRL starts policing the ruck further (i.e. 2 refs). They also decide in the spirit of speeding the game up that they will invent a new principle, a forward pass isn't forward if the hands go back. This in turn had led to flat ruck play and a real go forward mentality. In response to the extra speed, guys were using shoulders in tackles as 1) fairly hard to stop a 120kg guy with momentum and 2) a good shoulder has been part of RL since day dot. The extra speed and impacts were awesome however it in turn has led to increased damage from head shots.

So in the NRL's wisdom, they banned the shoulder charge. Fair enough, don't want too many mentally f'kd up ex-footballers. This has expanded further into any contact with the head. FFS - you have a speed machine like Tedesco coming at you and just b4 impact, he falls to his knees. WTF are you meant to do? There was a time when an around the ankles tackle was the epitome of quality defence (and the safest). You tackle someone around the ankles and you will be guaranteed the other team gets a quick play the ball or a 6er. No one does it unless they have to.

The best teams now are the ones that adjust to rule changes the quickest - not the best footballers. Its why the storm and roosters can take absolute donkeys and turn them into first class players.

So, the NRL have fixed shit by changing rules which in turn have caused more issues. Here are my fixes for RL.
1) Police forward passes. The EPL can pick up an offside by drawing a line across the field and if your foreskin is over the line, its offside. Yet apparently we cannot do this for RL. The lack of forward pass policing has made ordinary footballers look awesome (looking at you Cam Smith)
2) Any 1 on 1 bootlace tackle, you're allowed to go to marker before they can play the ball, this will encourage the low tackle and people to get away from the head.
3) Any ruck infringement on zero or the 1st tackle is a penalty, not a six again. Whats the point of a 6er on the first - you'd rather the territory
4) Unless someone is unconscious, play does not stop for an injured player. Give trainers green whistles but I'm over a trainer using injuries as an excuse to stop play.

OK - rant over. Back to beer and beef cheeks :grinning:
Like the reward for the one on one legs tackle - could work well
Penalty instead of 6again on first or second tackle - would help as well
id add the option of 5 minute sin bin

Would scorers kick off help stop the huge momentum shifts?

At the moment the referees discretion, or lack of, is having a huge impact on the momentum in games

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Both Melbourne & St.George-Illawarra being new teams were allowed extra salary cap in 1999 which coincided with them both being in the GF that year.

The forward pass rule for my understanding has always been the ball must travel backwards initially because of physics, but the problem is that the officials forgot to watch the hands & only watch the path the ball takes.

Melbourne a& all their wresting techniques should have been jumped on much earlier & they should have been told ANY dirty play will lead to massive Jim Comans like suspensions, but weak NRL leadership let that go.

The end for the shoulder charge came because somebody died:

so you can sort of understand that one even though the tackle in question hit the deceased in the chest.

I think the 2 referees could have worked if the administrators were smart. Each week the referees were paired with different people. They should have had refereeing teams so they could get consistent with the decision making.

They have recently said that it doesn't matter if a player is dropping when you tackle them, it is up to the tackler to adjust for that. How do you adjust for 1/3 of a second? Nobody has that reaction time. They should have been watching the AFL & seen what players like Joel Selwood did to gain free kicks.

I agree with your points 2 & 3 as well. The salary cap is another bugbear. They had it almost right at the beginning (you know when the Raiders were double their salary cap & won a premiership). They had different salary caps for each team depending on their spending ability. If they had just had the same cap for everybody without the ad-ons it may have worked. Now the 6 again & the sinbin / send off crap has made it worse.

Get more ex-footballers on the commission. Maybe have different commissions - 1 for finance & another for football.
Love anything u say CD (but only coz of your logo :grinning:) - few corrections though.

The forward pass physics argument is garbage. Its basically numphies like Johns and Gould saying 'but the hands went backwards' as some form of simple excuse. Physics suggests that the only way a backward pass can go forward is if acted on by an external fore (such as wind). Even Gus doesn't blow that much hot air to blow a ball forward.

The shoulder charge was banned in 2012. Mr Ackerman passed away in 2015. It was already banned at that point (hence the legals for doing something that was not within the rules of the game and the argument that its assault).

Will agree on one thing - salary cap. Guess who in 2019 had the most tied up in 3rd party deals - Storm $809,000 (roughly 10% of the 2021 cap). Guess who had the least amount - Cowboys on just under $16k (or a bees dick of the 2021 salary cap). Dogs were around $60k.

So, not only is the storm attractive in terms of coach, club structure etc. but they get to play with 110% of the cap. And they call the Roosters the rorters...

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The shoulder charge was outlawed in junior league in 2000-2001 so the kids grew up not using it till they came to grade. So there was some hindsight in the league to plant the seed early before outlawing it in 2012.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love anything u say CD (but only coz of your logo :grinning:) - few corrections though.

The forward pass physics argument is garbage. Its basically numphies like Johns and Gould saying 'but the hands went backwards' as some form of simple excuse. Physics suggests that the only way a backward pass can go forward is if acted on by an external fore (such as wind). Even Gus doesn't blow that much hot air to blow a ball forward.

The shoulder charge was banned in 2012. Mr Ackerman passed away in 2015. It was already banned at that point (hence the legals for doing something that was not within the rules of the game and the argument that its assault).

Will agree on one thing - salary cap. Guess who in 2019 had the most tied up in 3rd party deals - Storm $809,000 (roughly 10% of the 2021 cap). Guess who had the least amount - Cowboys on just under $16k (or a bees dick of the 2021 salary cap). Dogs were around $60k.

So, not only is the storm attractive in terms of coach, club structure etc. but they get to play with 110% of the cap. And they call the Roosters the rorters...
I stand corrected with regard to the shoulder charge, however this video illustrates forward passes for you.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
however this video illustrates forward passes for you.
1) thats nuthugging not RL. 2) I know the relativity garbage and it is in the rules. Problem is its impossible to police in real time as you have to make a judgement call on passing actions every time. I just want it simple. Draw a line - end of story.

Appreciate the effort in dragging up a vid though.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1) thats nuthugging not RL. 2) I know the relativity garbage and it is in the rules. Problem is its impossible to police in real time as you have to make a judgement call on passing actions every time. I just want it simple. Draw a line - end of story.

Appreciate the effort in dragging up a vid though.
1. The passing rule in Rugby Yawnion & League have been the same since 1908. There was a NRL video on this but I couldn't find it.

2. If you do it by drawing a line, every try will be challenged & not awarded due to forward passes.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
1. The passing rule in Rugby Yawnion & League have been the same since 1908. There was a NRL video on this but I couldn't find it.

2. If you do it by drawing a line, every try will be challenged & not awarded due to forward passes.
I had a look myself - couldn't find boo but I'm confident at some time recently the rule saying the ball must be passed backwards changed to out of the hands. Cannot remember when but think it was something in the 1980's and the reason was something about clarity.

Don't have an issue with that - it becomes black and white. At the moment, we're depending on refs being physicists to understand relative transfer of momentum. Not sure most refs have the IQ to tie their own shoelaces correctly atm.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had a look myself - couldn't find boo but I'm confident at some time recently the rule saying the ball must be passed backwards changed to out of the hands. Cannot remember when but think it was something in the 1980's and the reason was something about clarity.

Don't have an issue with that - it becomes black and white. At the moment, we're depending on refs being physicists to understand relative transfer of momentum. Not sure most refs have the IQ to tie their own shoelaces correctly atm.
Check out the history of rule changes in RL:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Check out the history of rule changes in RL:

Did and no mention. Think it wasn't considered a change but a 'clarification'

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problem with momentum carrying a ball forward so long as it it only momentum that creates the forward movement.

I can't stand that hookers standing still in the ruck pass the ball forward and it does not get pulled up.

I can't stand that video ref's don't rule on forward passes (accept that one exception a few years ago when the dogs got screwed over)

They have the technology to assist in assessing forward passes but that would be at the detriment of some of the darlings of rugby league.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They speed the game up with the six again bell then send everyone off.