News How the Bulldogs will be salary cap compliant for 2023 after Mahoney signing

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
i said it earlier
cotric to raiders/ hogdson to eels/ mahoney to dogs 2022
I think that is the most logical choice for all parties involved. Apparently Hodgson is on a big contract and declined the Tiger’s offer. I just can’t see how the Eels would afford Hodgson for this year unless they offload Matterson for 22.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think that is the most logical choice for all parties involved. Apparently Hodgson is on a big contract and declined the Tiger’s offer. I just can’t see how the Eels would afford Hodgson for this year unless they offload Matterson for 22.
its a wish, i have no mail but it makes sense? i had mail this morning Mahoney had signed tho before the press.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
still think thompson could be our best forward, has all the attributes to be the perfect prop in the modern game. i think he will be awesome this year with more help around him in the forward pack. more concerned with moving on players like allen, waddell, flanagan who are plodders and on over $300k each and replacing them with minimum wage juniors
Agree 100% ... Thompson should be our captain after Jackson hangs them up. He's the perfect leader for this young forward pack.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mavoni Tuifua, Judda Turahui, Josh Stucky, Kurtis Morrin, Khaled Rajab .... maybe Ben Seufale if he gets a contract, Mosese Pope ? (kids a beast) and it wouldn't surprise me if we Re-sign Max King for a low wage either.
if were being serious the guys they would be replacing wouldnt make our top squad anyway, were talking about bringing promising guys up from development contracts and fast tracking their progress while making cap space. its a win win

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a dream scenario, we keep Thompson and Cotric on a more realistic contract. We also sign Vaughan again on a contract to account for his age.

We punt
JMK
Asiata
Stimson
RFM
Allan
Flanagan
Waddell
Wakeham
Dufty (Hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see him improving under a high ball or his defence). If he does play well, we probably won’t have the $$ to keep him.

2023 looks like

JAC (if he works out there, otherwise Averillo)
Naden
Schoupp
Alamoti
Cotric
Burton
BBO
TPJ
Mahoney
Thompson
Kikau
Hetherington
Jackson

Vaughan
Patalo
Stuckey / Topine / Doorey / Ava / King
Averillo

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think they are forgetting the dolphins need to sign 30 players... if we have to unload we will be fine

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think there is a real possibility Mahoney might be here in this pre-season. I think Parra’s need for an outside back could see a swap deal with Cotric.

I would love to see Cotric stay next to the talent we have bought. He is still young and will be a very good player for years to come. I think he is the only enticing option we have unfortunately. It would be great if that swap could be with Allan.
If we were to keep Cotric for his full contract we'd most likely be able to extend him for what he's worth afterwards.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My guess
Khaled Rajab(Half FB) Beni Teaupa (FR) -Larson Dale-Doyle (FB CT W) Kurtis Morrin (backrow) Iverson Matai (Half)
Bailey Cox (prop) made a rep team didn't he? I think he was same level as Alamoti and Rajab.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
In a dream scenario, we keep Thompson and Cotric on a more realistic contract. We also sign Vaughan again on a contract to account for his age.

We punt
JMK
Asiata
Stimson
RFM
Allan
Flanagan
Waddell
Wakeham
Dufty (Hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see him improving under a high ball or his defence). If he does play well, we probably won’t have the $$ to keep him.

2023 looks like

JAC (if he works out there, otherwise Averillo)
Naden
Schoupp
Alamoti
Cotric
Burton
BBO
TPJ
Mahoney
Thompson
Kikau
Hetherington
Jackson

Vaughan
Patalo
Stuckey / Topine / Doorey / Ava / King
Averillo
I don't know many cases where a player accepts less than what they're being paid (renegotiate) while still under contract for those years. They are usually moved on or get an upgrade if they're going well (hard for a club to get a good deal).

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With almost a year and a half to go before '23 I'm certain we'll be fine. We'll be paying some blokes to play elsewhere - again - but we'll have a very strong, cap compliant team in '23 with good depth.

It's just sad we'll still be a team that pays freight on players after bad recruitment decisions and awful cap management. Hopefully all the good things Gus is doing with recruitment and junior development will end that in a few years. I know a lot of clubs pay freight these days but we've been chronic and waste so much cap every year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With almost a year and a half to go before '23 I'm certain we'll be fine. We'll be paying some blokes to play elsewhere - again - but we'll have a very strong, cap compliant team in '23 with good depth.

It's just sad we'll still be a team that pays freight on players after bad recruitment decisions and awful cap management. Hopefully all the good things Gus is doing with recruitment and junior development will end that in a few years. I know a lot of clubs pay freight these days but we've been chronic and waste so much cap every year.
Panthers won the comp paying players to play elsewhere (RCG and Blake). It isn't the be end and end all. If we replace Flanagan, Waddell and Allan (for e.g.) with promising minimum wage players we don't lose anything and actually gain even with chipping in. Panthers replaced DWZ with To'o and Blake with Crichton (for e.g.). By the time we need to upgrade them the players we're paying to play elsewhere will most likely be off our books.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Brad Arthur said he will keep Mahoney in reggies if he signs anywhere else.
Wonder if he will, or will he release him early?
Well Arthur is an overrated shit **** so he probably would...

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He also ruled out Cotric previously.
I wouldn't be suprised if clubs talk to the media saying "hey we wouldn't mind *player*", and get the media to write up a story that players being shopped around, even if not true.

Been far too many claims made about this or that player being "shopped around" which have never happened.