Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

February 9, 2019 12:53pm

Subscriber only

When Todd Greenberg flew to Queensland in November for the launch of this year’s Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium, the NRL chief executive was asked if Brisbane will ever see a second NRL team.

The sharp, articulate Greenberg, as verbally nimble as a United Nations diplomat, chose his words carefully and strategically.

“The real question is do you want to expand the competition or do you want to relocate teams?” he said.
“That’s an open question for us … and at the moment, we haven’t answered it.”

Sooner rather than later, rugby league’s decision-makers need to get their left hand on the same page as their right.

Last year, ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie warned the code had to expand or risk dying.

Yet the NRL, weighed down by myopic, cash-strapped Sydney clubs who annually raid the code’s coffers like a self-entitled teenager sucking money from their parents, understandably want financial certainty for the 16 clubs before wading into the murky waters of expansion.

The problem is this: history shows league clubs, notably the Sydney ones, do not make money. Worse, they haemorrhage millions.

Currently, the Broncos and Cowboys — two Queensland teams — are the code’s only profitable entities.
No matter how generous the NRL grant, no matter how responsible Greenberg and the code’s governors attempt to be, there will be lunatics among the Sydney clubs seeking to run the asylum.

Based on that measurement and sentiment, Brisbane, sadly, will never see a second NRL team.

If financial certainty in Sydney is the Sunshine State’s only guaranteed gateway to a second NRL licence in south-east Queensland, well … don’t hold your breath.

Under the current television deal, no expansion can happen until 2023. By then, the Broncos will have gone unchallenged for 26 years since the Super League-fuelled demise of the South Queensland Crushers in 1997.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the Brisbane metropolitan area is home to 2.4 million people.
The southeast Queensland region features an estimated 3.5 million residents.

Yet despite such a huge reservoir of fans, league’s bosses are content to dither, even though their direct sporting rivals are floundering in the Sunshine State.

The AFL’s Brisbane Lions are a skeleton of the powerhouse that won a hat-trick of flags in 2001-03.
Football’s Brisbane Roar have seen crowds drop 34 per cent in the past 12 months.

Rugby’s Reds — once a genuine threat to the Broncos on the scale of crowd figures — have lost major traction in a code that has lost its marbles.

Now is the time for the NRL to crush its opposition. The ARL Commission should kill off two Sydney clubs and hand licences to Brisbane and Perth for the next TV deal.

Decluttering the Sydney market would not only help its remaining seven teams swim out of the red ink, but enable Queensland to truly thrive as part of a burgeoning national footprint.

Fears that a second Brisbane team would suffer the same fate as the Crushers are unfounded. When the Brisbane Bombers launched their expansion bid in December 2010, they crunched some numbers.

The data forecasted a second Brisbane team would turn a profit … in its first season.

“Brisbane is as ready now for a second team as it’s ever been,” says Bombers shareholder Nick Livermore, whose father Ross was the long-serving boss of the Queensland Rugby League.

“With crowds of 24,000, a second Brisbane team would make a $1 million profit.

“And that’s not factoring in the NRL grant, which is now greater than the salary cap.’’

Livermore praised the Magic Round concept, but says it won’t ease the code’s major migraine — the financial impotence of Sydney clubs.

“At what point does the NRL really put pressure on Sydney clubs to be self-sufficient and sustainable?” he said.

“Wests Tigers’ average crowd last year was lower than when they won the competition in 2005.

“Sydney’s population has grown over the last 14 years but the Tigers’ crowds have gone backwards.

“Why should they be in the competition? What do they bring? How will the state of the NRL be different in 2023 compared to 2013 or 2018?

“A second Brisbane team would instantly be more profitable than every Sydney team.

“At this rate, it could be 30 years before Brisbane gets another team, which is a really sad state of affairs.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Brisbane Broncos don't want a second team and they are powerful, that's the reason

don't blame Sydney teams

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Quality article... except there are Sydney clubs that are profitable. Most of them infact.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Have these ppl been to a titans match. 10000 is a bumper crowd. Last time I went to a dogs vs titans match there were maybe 3000 titans fans and the rest Bulldogs. Where is this abundance of fans who don't have a team yet coming from? If half the existing Broncos fans switched to the new team, then Broncos would have half the fans they do now. Where is the growth?

These ppl are speaking shit. There will be no more se qld sides...ever.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have these ppl been to a titans match. 10000 is a bumper crowd. Last time I went to a dogs vs titans match there were maybe 3000 titans fans and the rest Bulldogs. Where is this abundance of fans who don't have a team yet coming from? If half the existing Broncos fans switched to the new team, then Broncos would have half the fans they do now. Where is the growth?

These ppl are speaking shit. There will be no more se qld sides...ever.
Mate for real a second Brisbane team would thrive, even Ipswich . The titans are hard to describe, unfortunately the Gold Coast is pretty scummy like I love the beaches but the area it’s self is ultra bogan, the kind of place u lock your tools over night if you’re a Tradie. Plus cbus stadium is by far the most unattractive position, you can’t even park near there it’s in robina. If it was near surfers paradise or broad beach then it would do well, the tweed seagulls and Burleigh bears are all still doing well.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mate for real a second Brisbane team would thrive, even Ipswich . The titans are hard to describe, unfortunately the Gold Coast is pretty scummy like I love the beaches but the area it’s self is ultra bogan, the kind of place u lock your tools over night if you’re a Tradie. Plus cbus stadium is by far the most unattractive position, you can’t even park near there it’s in robina. If it was near surfers paradise or broad beach then it would do well, the tweed seagulls and Burleigh bears are all still doing well.
Spoken by someone who obviously hasnt spent that much time here. Ive lived here 15 years. You have seen it on TV maybe.

Its not a bogan area. Yeh there is crime here, but nothing compared to sydney where i grew up.

Would you leave your tools unlocked in Brisbane, or Sydney or anywhere really? Yeh put a team in Ipswich. Ipswich in Brisbane is pretty much Mt Druitt in Sydney. You would only get attendance at games if they co-incided with their centrelink payments.

There have been a number of additional teams in Brisbane and GC before and they all failed. There is no capacity for people to follow a new club up here in the NRL. The people in SE Qld mostly already go for the broncos, they arent looking to change and wont. And forget north of brisbane, One suburb on the GC has more people than the entire sunshine coast. Theres nobody there. After Sunshine coast theres pretty much nobody for hundreds of km

All that said i also dont beleive there is capacity to put any new NRL sides ANYWHERE in the country tbh. They also tried that and failed. Lowering the skill level of teams by stretching the talent pool over more teams isnt doing anyone any favours.

Getting more teams in NRL would have to be about 6000 on the priority list of issues they do need to deal with.

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The amount of sydney teams need to drop from 9 to 6.

Dragons to take over sharks
Dogs to take over wests (Balmain can go to souths)
Rooster and eagles to merge (once tge politis funding stops)

Expand to Perth. Comp only needs 14 teams

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The amount of sydney teams need to drop from 9 to 6.

Dragons to take over sharks
Dogs to take over wests (Balmain can go to souths)
Rooster and eagles to merge (once tge politis funding stops)

Expand to Perth. Comp only needs 14 teams
1. St George and Sharks fold and Dogs take over that area of Sydney (South/South West).
2. Roosters and Souths merge to create "Sydney City".
3. Manly stays and covers North Shore.
4. Parra expands to cover NW Sydney.
5. Panthers covers Western Sydney and Mountains.
6. Tigers cover inner west.
7. Sharks relocated to Central Coast.
8. Newcastle remain.

I'd like to see a Northern Rivers and a Riverina team get a look in to be honest.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that for whatever reason fans in NSW @ QLD aren't as keen to go to matches as they once were. If I had to put my finger on it I'd say that the NRL have made such a botch of the administration side of things, that fans are have turned away from the game.
The game was once competitive with the AFL, now all 3 schools I went to have replaced RL goal posts with AFL posts, with Rugby also having delivered a shit product since time memorial can you blame the schools.
The more I watch everything unfolding the more I see the NRL Admin panicking just like Our clubs previous board, and it can only end with the game going the way of the Dinosaur.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
1. St George and Sharks fold and Dogs take over that area of Sydney (South/South West).
2. Roosters and Souths merge to create "Sydney City".
3. Manly stays and covers North Shore.
4. Parra expands to cover NW Sydney.
5. Panthers covers Western Sydney and Mountains.
6. Tigers cover inner west.
7. Sharks relocated to Central Coast.
8. Newcastle remain.

I'd like to see a Northern Rivers and a Riverina team get a look in to be honest.
Even if they were in dire straits, i dont ever think the Dragons will fold. I know tge NRL said no more rescues, however they will prop them up.

Logical

Dogs-Absorb Wests/Tigers
Dragons
Parra
Panthers
Souths and Roosters merge
Northern Bears (Central coast)
Manly
Melbourne
Cowboys
Perth Sharks
Raiders
Brisbane
3rd Qld team-Absorb GCTitans.

Although I Question Manly existence. But they've been just granted $36m for Brooky.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not relocate the Titans instead? What have they done since their inception but almost fold?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If they cut Sydney teams it stands to reason that those fans will stop following the game. A mate from school hasn't watched league since the bears folded. And as already stated, there aren't a crapload of Brisbane folks sitting on ice waiting for a second team to support. The Titans are exhibit (a) of this fact.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You can't blame Sydney clubs for Brisbane not being able to have a profitable 2nd team FFS.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Spoken by someone who obviously hasnt spent that much time here. Ive lived here 15 years. You have seen it on TV maybe.

Its not a bogan area. Yeh there is crime here, but nothing compared to sydney where i grew up.

Would you leave your tools unlocked in Brisbane, or Sydney or anywhere really? Yeh put a team in Ipswich. Ipswich in Brisbane is pretty much Mt Druitt in Sydney. You would only get attendance at games if they co-incided with their centrelink payments.

There have been a number of additional teams in Brisbane and GC before and they all failed. There is no capacity for people to follow a new club up here in the NRL. The people in SE Qld mostly already go for the broncos, they arent looking to change and wont. And forget north of brisbane, One suburb on the GC has more people than the entire sunshine coast. Theres nobody there. After Sunshine coast theres pretty much nobody for hundreds of km

All that said i also dont beleive there is capacity to put any new NRL sides ANYWHERE in the country tbh. They also tried that and failed. Lowering the skill level of teams by stretching the talent pool over more teams isnt doing anyone any favours.

Getting more teams in NRL would have to be about 6000 on the priority list of issues they do need to deal with.
You just saved me typing the same response - Ipswich FML?

Lived on the Goldy for nearly 20 years now, amazing place for myself and my family to grow up. Beaches, parks, shopping centres, sporting facilities, an NRL and an AFL team, employment opportunities and a fuck load of decent people.

People who bag the place only get a small snippet from anecdotal rubbish they hear from others or a holiday they had here 20 years ago.

It’s a great place that doesn’t deserve the bad wrap....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I think there is room is SE QLD for another team, and part of the reason (but not the main one) should be to level the playing field a bit. The leg up the Broncs get is ridiculous. The SW Logan-Springfield-Ipswich corridor is growing all the time. I'd knock down QSAC and build a new boutique stadium there. The team has to have its own identity instead of playing from Suncorp, otherwise you will end up ith a Melbourne Heart instead of a Wanderers. Redcliffe is the richest club i think the the Brisbane Comp and has a stadium better than some NRL clubs, but has a very small geographic area

Don;t write off Sunny Coast just yet - they have around 350,000 people, so more than Townsville (and on par with Canberra), but anything in between would not work.

I'd probably keep a cap on 16 teams and wait for a side to go broke or relocate...

Aceman

Waterboy
Reaction score
Not all SE QLD residents are Broncos supporters. Far from it. Infact some of the ponies biggest detractors live in Brisbane. Im one. Doggies supported for 40yrs and a Queenslander. Suncorps numbers are a scam. Go to any game and the supporters are close to 50/50, especially when the big clubs come to town..dogs, dragons, souths. We wait all year to see our team, and when they come to town, we are out in force. This doesn't happen in Sydney. If you miss one game, no big deal, you can go to the next. Travel is no big deal. So when Broncos boast our ground numbers are 34k, it makes me laugh. Second team in brissie is the way to go. Ipswich is the spot. They are passionate out there and would drop the broncos in a heartbeat to follow "the Jets". Broncos memberships would drop and "we", the passionate other NRL teams supporters would get to see our teams twice....we would fill 2 stadiums.