How Roosters "managed to afford" Cronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hold on hold on hold on...

I remember in 2010 the NRL lost their shit when we bought Brett Kimmorley a Birthday Cake that we didn't declare as part of the Salary Cap, A BIRTHDAY CAKE! Yet Cooper Cronk wants to go to the most prestigious University in the world to study a FUCKING MBA and the NRL allows it?

That'll FUCKING do me! I've heard it all now.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

I remember in 2010 the NRL lost their shit when we bought Brett Kimmorley a Birthday Cake that we didn't declare as part of the Salary Cap, A BIRTHDAY CAKE! Yet Cooper Cronk wants to go to the most prestigious University in the world to study a FUCKING MBA and the NRL allows it?

Really? Is that really true? I don't remember that but 2010 was a bad time for me so my mind wasn't functioning too well lol.

So we weren't allowed to have our cake and eat it too...that's a bit rich.

Wahesh

Reaction score

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah this article was published in a telegraph then the NRL went all over it like flies on shit: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...692e8c9cf?sv=424863b417146c473b132a6d378d4efe
What a f'in joke. I honestly can't believe such a small gesture like that could be scrutinized, specially as u said look at what others are being given or had done for them. It must be a Bulldogs thing is all i can say.

Actually i'm surprised that the NRL didn't look into the Bulldogs buying groceries and filling Ennis' fridge and cupboards when he and his family first moved into their house after coming from Brisbane.

Last edited:

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Woah woah woah.......I didn't realise that Harvard were handing out degrees online now.

Becoz you know, he moved to Sydney to be closer to his partner......and then after 2 years he's going off to Boston to study? Well played all around.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Woah woah woah.......I didn't realise that Harvard were handing out degrees online now.

Becoz you know, he moved to Sydney to be closer to his partner......and then after 2 years he's going off to Boston to study? Well played all around.
If Harvard were handing out degrees online I'd do them FFS.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

All universities have online courses now that mirror the internal ones. Welcome to the new century.....Even so he can attend compressed programs that only go for a couple of weeks and do his assessments back at home.

Wahesh

Reaction score
All universities have online courses now that mirror the internal ones. Welcome to the new century.....Even so he can attend compressed programs that only go for a couple of weeks and do his assessments back at home.
It's Harvard. Time is not the issue here, the money is. I remember I went on an IT training course here for one of my jobs. The course went for 3 days and cost my company $3300. 3 freaking days. Imagine what a Harvard course would cost.

It will run into the tens of thousands easily (even for a course that goes for a few weeks). If it's a course he attends in person, we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's all illegal.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Harvard. Time is not the issue here, the money is. I remember I went on an IT training course here for one of my jobs. The course went for 3 days and cost my company $3300. 3 freaking days. Imagine what a Harvard course would cost.

It will run into the tens of thousands easily (even for a course that goes for a few weeks). If it's a course he attends in person, we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's all illegal.
I'm sure he could qualify for Financial Aid?!
Ohh shucks, offer Coops an honorary doctorate !

MYTH: I can’t afford Harvard.
FACT: Because of Harvard’s unequaled facilities and faculty, the total charge was $36,800 for the academic year 2002-03. However, over 70% of all students receive financial assistance. EVERY STUDENT ADMITTED TO HARVARD WHO IS JUDGED TO BE IN FINANCIAL NEED IS GIVEN ASSISTANCE. Assistance is based solely on financial need, not on superior academic (or other) achievement. Harvard expects students with financial need to earn and borrow a certain amount of money each year and have their parents contribute a set amount (if judged capable of doing so). After that point, grants are awarded, the result rarely being a full scholarship, but ALWAYS a package that permits EVERY admitted student to attend Harvard without unreasonable financial sacrifice, need for a full-time job or excessive borrowing.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/womswim/recruiting/myths.html

~c.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

USD $158,000.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

No its not. Everyone seems to be missing the point that the NRL have approved part of his contract being in the form of education expenses. Not a contract and then education that doesn't count. He gets $1.7m in cash and $300K in education taking it to the $2m over 2 seasons that has been reported. The only possible rort is that the education may take place after he retires. The rorters will still have to report it on the their cap but it may be in 2020 instead of 2018/19.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Harvard were handing out degrees online I'd do them FFS.
Yeah I'm aware that all universities have online courses now, but not their full suite and not MBAs, one of the most popular masters' degrees in higher education. A quick look around the Harvard website and the only thing offered online close to it would be their 'Entrepreneurship Essentials' course - 4 weeks, $950.

Fees for an MBA at Harvard are estimated at $144,000 (i assume USD) with the total cost being >$300,000 being the cost of foregone earnings (estimated assuming you dropped your work life and earned what would be a higher than average salary in the USD, and spent the 9 months or whatever in their program...so the cost for Cronk would be higher consider he's on $900-1M per year).

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No its not. Everyone seems to be missing the point that the NRL have approved part of his contract being in the form of education expenses. Not a contract and then education that doesn't count. He gets $1.7m in cash and $300K in education taking it to the $2m over 2 seasons that has been reported. The only possible rort is that the education may take place after he retires. The rorters will still have to report it on the their cap but it may be in 2020 instead of 2018/19.
I reckon this is it precisely.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Let's put that into perspective. 2020 he goes on this course and the rorters pay it, so he's getting $1,700,000 over 2 years. Split evenly, that's $850,000 per year - well below his market value. There's no way the NRL would approve that - it's too low!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's put that into perspective. 2020 he goes on this course and the rorters pay it, so he's getting $1,700,000 over 2 years. Split evenly, that's $850,000 per year - well below his market value. There's no way the NRL would approve that - it's too low!
Sadly, it seems they already have......

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Cronk was asked what the differences were between The Storm and the Rorters and he said , nothing really ...except the brown paper bags are way way bigger at the Roosters.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How good is this? Roosters rort the cap to get Cooper Cronk and now he's injured... RIGHT IN TIME for them to lose the Grand Final.

Karma at it's finest, Mr Politis.
I hope he plays and gets taken off in the first 10

Status
Not open for further replies.