How Roosters "managed to afford" Cronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hayne AND Crichton? Reporters just writing any bullshit that gets in their head.

Hayne will go to Eels (or stay at Titans), Chricton will stay at Souffs. IMO of course.
Yeah surely most of this is round table Rothfuelled drinking sessions. It's way too obvious now and if it continues, potentially fans will revolt and refuse to attend games till roosters have full disclosure audit from a party non affiliated with any directors companies or contacts.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheating on numerous levels. How the fuck can it be exempt??? its a monetary incentive for him to go there. Also throw in the fact that i don't think he's done any recent study (i may be wrong) which is a prerequisite for applying so he's obviously getting a big hand in getting accepted from politis. Add in the fact that a recognized mba from harvard will boost his after football income as well.
It isn't exempt it is just a part of the cap that isn't cash. That's why it was mentioned. If he has signed for $1.7m over two years that's $300k than was reported. The $300k is for his education expenses taking it back up to $2m.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Would he be doing the course online or going to Harvard to do it?
I thought he left the storm because he wanted to fondle his fiance on a more regular occasion..? Now he's planning on leaving again in 2 years?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nick Politis has spoken on how they managed to "afford" Cronk, who is rumoured to be on $1.7 million over 2 years (LOL BULLSHIT!!!!!)

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...ree-sealed-cooper-cronks-move-to-the-roosters

Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis has revealed Cooper Cronk's arrival at Bondi wasn't all about money.

The Roosters chairman told The Courier-Mail, a Harvard University degree sealed Cronk's fate to the Bondi club.

“We ticked the boxes in a few areas. It wasn’t all about money,” Politis told The Courier-Mail.

“Cooper is looking to go to Harvard and do an MBA in business administration.

“We’ve got salary-cap approval from the NRL to help him with his education.

“Cooper wanted to go to a club with a good coach and a good system that could help him after football as well.

“I hope he wins us a premiership while he’s here, that’s the plan.”

Politis also revealed, he would love for Cronk to stay beyond his two-year deal in a coaching capacity.

“After two years, we’re hoping Cooper will stay on and if he wants he can coach here.

"He could work with ‘Robbo’ (coach Trent Robinson) helping the halves and being a part of the club for a long time.”

According to The Courier-Mail, Cronk has signed a $1.7 million two-year deal with the Roosters.

Cheating scum.... how is that even allowed? Not to mention how have the NRL allowed this to occur, and how have they valued Cronk at less than $1 million a seaso compared to DCE/Hunt/Thurston/etc.

NRL have allowed Roosters to systematically cheat the system it seems, with their blessing.
Don't you think it is fair that the Roosters generously pay his $3M school fees? How else can he afford his schooling? It's not as if he gets paid a million dollars a year... oh wait!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw this today aswell. Didn't read the article. But when the media started stating Angus is up for negotiation start of November I just had a feeling roosters would be up there.

Roosters are the only team that can bolster a line up with rep players without questions being asked. And can pick up ferguson on peanuts because he was coming back to league, the. Reportedly take a pay cut to stay there :p

Fair enough they might fudge the figures to the nrl. But is the nrl so dumb to think they have the nsw captain, fullback, halfback, Queensland frontrower, prop (probably forgot a few more) they have jwh, looking at getting Angus. Have Mitchell, furguson, keary (doubt any on minimum wage even though the media implied it). And then you look at teams like raiders who have maybe 1 rep player or teams like Newcastle with none and you think how can 1 team be stacked with stars and another have none....

That's what the nrl should investigate. Not take things at face value like oh here is the contract. Investigate why players are taking pay cuts to be there.
The NRL are going to continue to wonder why the falling crowds & TV ratings. They have no clue. Until they do something that EVERYONE can see like a points cap the game is going down the gurgler. Great work Todd. You've put the game in the toilet along with some brown trout!

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It isn't exempt it is just a part of the cap that isn't cash. That's why it was mentioned. If he has signed for $1.7m over two years that's $300k than was reported. The $300k is for his education expenses taking it back up to $2m.
That doesnt make sense. If it is included in his contract value under the cap then he'd just pay for the tuition himself wouldnt he? The fact the story says the roosters are paying makes out its external to the cap

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
From what I can see an MBA at HBS can't be done Online. There are 900+ places available, for 10,000+ applicants. So he has to get in, so how can they possibly justify the costs of it now, when he has no hope of doing the course. (geographically and academically) - you have to have done at least a Undergrad Degree and have industry experience. (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/Pages/default.aspx)

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheating on numerous levels. How the fuck can it be exempt??? its a monetary incentive for him to go there. Also throw in the fact that i don't think he's done any recent study (i may be wrong) which is a prerequisite for applying so he's obviously getting a big hand in getting accepted from politis. Add in the fact that a recognized mba from harvard will boost his after football income as well.
It's pretty simple for the idiots at the NRL. If a company did this for an employee it would have to be declared for FBT purposes. The same f****** principle should apply to a salary cap.

As others have already stated, I also would walk away from supporting this competition and not look back if it were not for the Bulldogs.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The NRL are going to continue to wonder why the falling crowds & TV ratings. They have no clue. Until they do something that EVERYONE can see like a points cap the game is going down the gurgler. Great work Todd. You've put the game in the toilet along with some brown trout!
Wouldn't he know the dogs are one of the biggest Sydney clubs and after a poor year attendance numbers are low :p

The pride of the league aren't Souths. They are the dogs and parra. If you want a strong Sydney comp do everything you can to help these teams. If you want 20k fans game in game out they are the only team that can achieve it (maybe tigers too).

So all good stacking roosters with 6 origin reps. They will get every Sunday afternoon game. But still only get 12k to games. If the dogs had that team and those players I'm sure we would get 27k to each game.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't he know the dogs are one of the biggest Sydney clubs and after a poor year attendance numbers are low :p

The pride of the league aren't Souths. They are the dogs and parra. If you want a strong Sydney comp do everything you can to help these teams. If you want 20k fans game in game out they are the only team that can achieve it (maybe tigers too).

So all good stacking roosters with 6 origin reps. They will get every Sunday afternoon game. But still only get 12k to games. If the dogs had that team and those players I'm sure we would get 27k to each game.
Only thing I'd say there is I believe St George, South's, Bulldogs and Parra would be the most supported Sydney teams across the country. With those teams all high flying you'd have a lot of people and many areas covered throughout Sydney and big crowd numbers.

Aside from glamorous rich commercial types and corporate connections, the Roosters bring nothing else, especially in terms of supporters. The Roosters would be lucky to get 5,000-6,000 crowds even when high flying.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It would be interesting if the rugby league media (the biggest bunch of useless ***** in the world)!!! Actually asked some fucking questions about Cooper Cronk's proposed study at Harvard.

The MBA program has a tuition cost of USD $158,000.
Yon need a bachelor degree with a distinction level pass as minimum prerequisite.
Does Cooper have that yet?
When will he do the study? Over the next two seasons when he is under contract for the Roosters.

It is important that clubs have pathways for players for after football. But the lower paid players should get priority!!!.

Guys like cooper who get paid a million plus a year (oh officially for the Roosters $850,000 a season) should be just fine after football.

This signing stinks of corruption and uncle Nick comming out trying to "explain it" just makes it stink that much more.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if Nick says it's all above board then surely it is. He wouldn't lie would he?
If honesty was in the dictionary then it would have an image of politis right underneath it!!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Would he be doing the course online or going to Harvard to do it?
I thought he left the storm because he wanted to fondle his fiance on a more regular occasion..? Now he's planning on leaving again in 2 years?
I would think he would attend Boston and do it there. He might do one subject here and there while playing but do the rest once he retires. I dare say the rooster will have to include it in their cap but they've probably found a way to move the $300k to 2020 in the hope of having space then. Much as I hate them, good on them if they get away with it.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Politis personally drove a new Ferrari around to Cronks girlfriend's place.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think he would attend Boston and do it there. He might do one subject here and there while playing but do the rest once he retires. I dare say the rooster will have to include it in their cap but they've probably found a way to move the $300k to 2020 in the hope of having space then. Much as I hate them, good on We all know it's bullshit. He can't stay in Melbourne which is a very short flight away but is planning on moving to Cambridge to study for 2 years? How would a guy who's been playing footy his whole professional career even meet the admission requirements of one of the most competitive courses to get into in the world?

In 2020 Harvard won't be on the table and he'll pick up a coaching job at the Roosters instead for overs obviously. Cronk probably told Politis on how to get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.